Why not have "Designed for XBMC" and "Powered by XBMC" officially certified hardware?
Lightbulb 
XBMC users,

A couple years ago, a friend of mine built an Acer Revo 1600 system for under $200. This included the cost of an infra red receiver. My friend is a videophile and he is completely satisfied with this system. It plays HD Video and 5.1 Audio fine.

Today, the cheapest I can build an XBMC system is around $300. What do I get for the extra money? More RAM, More processor, More HD space. But do XBMC users really care for that? I think most users care just want the bare minimum requirements (read: cheapest) to run HD Video and HD Audio.

The reason the hardware is getting more expensive, is because hardware manufacturers are upping their specs with the latest and greatest processors and faster RAM. In doing so, they are making systems that are overpowered for the average XBMC users setup _and_ they use more power - so cost more to run.

The other thing that bothers me is that even though the systems have gotten 50% more expensive, they still don't include things that actually matter to xbmc users - like infrared receivers.

To summarize, systems are getting more expensive with no tangible value-add for most XBMC users. This is happening, when over time standard hardware configurations are supposed to get cheaper. (case in point is the PS3, xbox360, wii).

I think the XBMC community will benefit greatly from official XBMC standard hardware. Or at the very least, XBMC certified machines. I don't know how this community would go about doing something like that, but the benefits are numerous:
  • The volume of support threads will decrease
  • Hardware costs will fall over the years - instead of going up like right now
  • People won't have to worry about which infrared receiver/remote to get (about half of your support emails are around remotes and their mappings)
  • Increase in number of xbmc users, which would help further reduce prices and increase community model support
  • Major universal remote providers will have preset remote settings for XBMC standard machines
  • Hardware updates can include things that actually matter to XBMC users (like better infrared sensitivity, being able to hibernate/resume the machine via remote, ultra low power machines, noiseless machines, form factor decisions etc)

And these efforts don't only need to be geared towards the cheapest bare minimum machines. You can tier XBMC standard hardware into, low end, medium end, high end... and so on...

I know communities with a smaller following (like Silent PC Review) that have certified machines. XBMC's following is relatively huge. I have to believe that hardware vendors want to partner with XBMC. This should be doable, and would really help XBMC users.

Let me know what others think about this.

tia,
rouble
i can't believe you have searched ....

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86048
All the hardware makers didn't come together and say "That single core Revo is too cheap, we need to agree to never sell something like that again!" The core problem is Microsoft and their OEM agreements.

Computer makers won't sell hardware that doesn't work with Windows. Period. Negroponte did his best to keep his pet laptop free from MS and it all came crashing down on him. If your hardware doesn't run Windows, the major OEMs won't make it in large enough quantities to make it cheaper than MS friendly nettops.

THAT is why the single core Revo went away- when it was launched MS was still letting XP ship on systems. Now that Windows 7 is out the XP loophole is dead and if an OEM maker wants to make a system with Windows it has to meet MS's requirements- dual core, so much HD, so much RAM, etc.

Add on top of this the fact that Intel destroyed the real ION market with its stupid force bundle of its terrible GPUs with its CPUs and it seemed the first gen Revos were a once in the lifetime nerdly aligning of the stars.

In the long run I expect XBMC to break onto GoogleTV devices which gets the community back to the $200 price point eventually. Till that day the choice is either pay up for a dual core ION box or find a way to get buy on the cheaper WD boxes of the world.

One last thing- I don't think it is right to say these newer systems add no value. For some people the fanless Shuttle was a HTPC revolutionary product, and now that XBMC has streaming addons (like Hulu) that old single core Revo is about to be made obsolete...

ppic Wrote:i can't believe you have searched ....

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86048

Well that site is not designed for or power by XBMC in any official meaning of the word. Thats just a site with info about how and which systems work.

And this is where arm might be interesting 2011, and CE41xx, finally they are beginning to truly be 1080p capable without really annoying decode chips.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Heh.

Didn't read the whole first post, but yes, we're starting a logo program just after the Dharma release. We're working with our incredible attorney to get the legal side worked out. I've already been in contact with a few hardware manufacturers.

There will be an announcement on xbmc.org when everything comes together.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:I've already been in contact with a few hardware manufacturers.

TheUni

This is great. I'm all for getting more exposure to XBMC. More exposure means more people buying HTPC hardware. Hopefully the market can expand and we won't have to pay so much for hardware.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
theuni Wrote:Heh.

Didn't read the whole first post, but yes, we're starting a logo program just after the Dharma release. We're working with our incredible attorney to get the legal side worked out. I've already been in contact with a few hardware manufacturers.

TheUni

Is this for real? Big Grin Oh the days of xbox appliance ease WILL return! woohoo!!!

Anyone want a zbox?? lol
Geeba Wrote:Is this for real? Big Grin Oh the days of xbox appliance ease WILL return! woohoo!!!

Anyone want a zbox?? lol

I'm not sure how you've interpreted what I said. The logo program will allow products EXACTLY like the zbox to be certified as working with XBMC.

TheUni
topfs2 Wrote:And this is where arm might be interesting 2011, and CE41xx, finally they are beginning to truly be 1080p capable without really annoying decode chips.

Very much looking forward to that as well. I think that'll dramatically change up the HTPC game in 2011 and 2012 especially.
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
I agree a piece of hardware built (set top box) with its own remote would be awesome. The one issue I see is the price range you suggest. For a box marketed to a small group of users I don't see it being that low. I see it being around $300.00 or so..

theuni Wrote:Heh.

TheUni
This is really good news. News I've been waiting for in the past three years or so. You really deserve some recognition for what happened between these virtual walls.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
theuni Wrote:I'm not sure how you've interpreted what I said. The logo program will allow products EXACTLY like the zbox to be certified as working with XBMC.

TheUni

Dam... I was thinking you had approached a hardware vendor as did Boxee and we would see a purpose built XBMC box... Mmmmm I can picture it now..... opening the box, shinny new hardware, correct leads, powers up, XBMC all working, SPDIF/HDMI THE LOT!, nice remote which every button does as its printed and works so as not to confuse the Mrs and it doesn't lag or look like it came from the £ shop....... and.... your back in the room! bugga must stop day dreaming at my desk Rofl

oh well I guess its stick with laggy remote and pain in the ass keyboard/mouse kicking about the lounge Eek while the Xbox smugly grins at me from under the TV! Oo
Geeba Wrote:Dam... I was thinking you had approached a hardware vendor as did Boxee and we would see a purpose built XBMC box... Mmmmm I can picture it now..... opening the box, shinny new hardware, correct leads, powers up, XBMC all working, SPDIF/HDMI THE LOT!, nice remote which every button does as its printed and works so as not to confuse the Mrs and it doesn't lag or look like it came from the £ shop....... and.... your back in the room! bugga must stop day dreaming at my desk Rofl

oh well I guess its stick with laggy remote and pain in the ass keyboard/mouse kicking about the lounge Eek while the Xbox smugly grins at me from under the TV! Oo

While not all the details are sorted it wouldn't be designed for anything if not all features work good. Powered by is also a tad different than designed for if you think of the meaning behind the words.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Please, make sure that:

• the remote works out of the Box
• suspend/resume works flawless
• offer a fan-less streamingclient
• offer a 1 or 2 internal disk version as well

Smile
Evin Wrote:Please, make sure that:

• the remote works out of the Box
• suspend/resume works flawless
• offer a fan-less streamingclient
• offer a 1 or 2 internal disk version as well

Smile

And a Pony. Make sure it comes with a Pony.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not have "Designed for XBMC" and "Powered by XBMC" officially certified hardware?1