XBMC Live - Zotac Mag HD-ND01
So I plan on picking up this Mag box for Christmas. Has anyone used it and can give an opinion? I do not want to install xbmc over linux, I would prefer to use live. However, I would like to know if it would be easy to dual boot with either live and linux, or live and boxee. Does that sound fairly feasible? Also is there minimal setting up required? I have installed xbmc live on an old laptop to see if it was an easy process... and it was, however it seems with some of these nettops, sound or something is always messing up. I'm likely just to use hdmi for sound. Also how about wireless, is getting it to work a pain?

It's a lot of questions, sorry, but I would appreciate some help, just trying to do my research before I sink money into it. Mostly, is it easy to install xbmc live and get everything working? And is it possible to dual boot?
I JUST installed live last night on my new MAG box. It's pretty sweet. Got audio over HDMI no problem. Haven't dual booted yet, so no help there.
I used the XCI minimal install, and just followed the guide. I tried to stream some revision 3 content through the addon and there were huge video objects and audio screeching. I didn't have much time to tinker with it. Don't know if it was the addon or if I need to tweak something else. Only know the menus look and sound amazing, ha.

So far, really pleased. Couple things you should know (if you dont):
-to get to the CMOS, press the Del key at boot up (took me like 5 tries to figure out the button).
-you can choose the drive to boot from by pressing F11 at boot screen
-I had to create my own usb image of the mini linux, the ready made usb files wouldn't recognize.

good luck
Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear the good news. I'm not too worried about your revision3 problem... I don't plan on streaming too often, but I appreciate you letting me know... it also sounds like something that can probably be fixed with some tinkering, I hope you get it where you want it to be. Are you trying to stream it with wifi or hardwired? Have you tried wifi, and was it easy to set up if so? And thanks for letting me know about the DEL key and F11, i'm used to my bios being F8 or F12 or something so I would have been hitting every button but DEL, haha. Also, I'm glad you brought up XCI! I've never heard of it, but did my quick google search to find the guide you were talking about, looks like its very useful and a lot more simple than installing the normal XBMC live disc, and figuring everything out from there, so I appreciate it!
OK, after 6 or 7 different installs combinations, I almost gave up... nothing was perfect. I tried 3 different linux builds, couldnt get dharma and nvidia drivers to mesh...and the addons I wanted wouldnt work with 9.11...

Then 10.0 live was released, installed and everything is like butter. Best media center I've ever owned. So happy it all worked out. Good luck man.
I'm having issue with network connection using this new live version. any tricks on how to make it work?
cooljoe Wrote:I'm having issue with network connection using this new live version. any tricks on how to make it work?

Yeah......................Provide some information.Oo
Im hard wired for the time being, no problems for me.
I too have a Zotac MAG. I bought it a few months ago after using XBMC on an XBOX and an AppleTV. The MAG has been perfect for me, it does everything I've wanted out of XBMC for a long time.

I installed XBMC Live and had it up and running in under and hour, so it's very simple to setup. I use HDMI for sound, no issues. I'm currently wired at the moment, so I can't speak for the wifi, but all of the reviews I've read on the wifi have been bad.
Thanks for all the info, I'm buying a Zotac MAG HD-ND01 as well in a couple of days. Do you think I will need a SSD or is the drive in the htpc decent? Thanks for the help!
I got the box, and installed xbmc live, and everything is working great except wireless, which unfortunately I need (not to stream, just for library info and android remote). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
thanamesjames Wrote:I got the box, and installed xbmc live, and everything is working great except wireless, which unfortunately I need (not to stream, just for library info and android remote). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

You can connect xbmc using a cable and then still use android as a wireless remote.
I installed XBMC Live w/o issue on the hd-nd01 just now. I am though having a problem with sound over HDMI....I got nothing. Any ideas? I see a few of you said it worked out of the box. I have all my settings correct it seems(same as my other XBMC box, but that's over a windows 7 install). Is it a drive issue maybe?
travishamockery Wrote:I installed XBMC Live w/o issue on the hd-nd01 just now. I am though having a problem with sound over HDMI....I got nothing. Any ideas? I see a few of you said it worked out of the box. I have all my settings correct it seems(same as my other XBMC box, but that's over a windows 7 install). Is it a drive issue maybe?

Unmute those weird channels under programs > audio mixer
Go over to audio settings and obviously change all your stuff over to hdmi
If you aren't getting sound then, its probably because you don't support dolby digital, so turn that option off under audio settings.
Did you get the Zotac MAG HD-ND01? Is it full 1080P?
I bought my MAG a while back and its been great ever since. I don't use the WiFi so I cant speak on behalf of that, but I just watched some Hak5 last night on Rev3 and there were no issues at all. The only problem im having is under XBMC Live where my MCE remote wont wake it up from standby, but its just a software issue and works fine under 7.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live - Zotac Mag HD-ND010