Volume amplification
I have done a little poking around and could not find the volume amplification under the video audio settings accessible when files are playing. Has this function been removed?
I need this too, I have a 1.83Ghz Mac Mini and the audio runs quiet in XBMC

XBMC and OS volumes on max, with the video playing in XBMC comes out quiet. I have to turn the TV volume up to about 75/100 to get OK volume.

So i play the same video on MPlayer OSX Extended and its probably twice as loud.

Any ideas? How do i boost XBMC's internal volume
Well, there are going to be limitations to what can be done in terms of software.

If you increase the signal of audio running to low-powered, quiet equipment, you are going to cause it to start breaking up pretty quick.

Usually if volume is a problem, the answer is hardware--a stronger power amp / more efficient speakers. Things of that nature.
branlr Wrote:Well, there are going to be limitations to what can be done in terms of software.

If you increase the signal of audio running to low-powered, quiet equipment, you are going to cause it to start breaking up pretty quick.

Usually if volume is a problem, the answer is hardware--a stronger power amp / more efficient speakers. Things of that nature.

But isnt it interesting that MPlayer can play it louder, and XBMC is half the volume. Sounds like a software switch? Like XBMC is set too low and MPlayer is set to normal
Marcos Wrote:But isnt it interesting that MPlayer can play it louder, and XBMC is half the volume. Sounds like a software switch? Like XBMC is set too low and MPlayer is set to normal

Ah yeah, missed that part....

Is it on all files? Do you connect using HDMI? Does MPlayer allow you to control the volume or not (i.e. is it using digital passthrough)?

So you are going to system-settings-audio output?

"boost volume on downmix?"

I'm really not sure.
branlr Wrote:Ah yeah, missed that part....

Is it on all files? Do you connect using HDMI? Does MPlayer allow you to control the volume or not (i.e. is it using digital passthrough)?

So you are going to system-settings-audio output?

"boost volume on downmix?"

I'm really not sure.
It happens on all files, louder on external player than it is on XBMC

My video goes out through DVI -> HDMI lead, audio goes from 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack lead to the TV's handy HDMI Audio in (life saver).

MPlayer lets me control volume within the App too, and at max volume it is ~ twice as loud as XBMC's max volume, with the OS being on full volume the whole time.

Havent changed anything on the system prefs, system's audio volume has remained at max.
Kept playing around, still have the same problem. Anyone else have any ideas?

Just to repeat, my TV volume needs to be only at ~10 to hear comfortably using a regular media player app on the Mac mini. But when trying to play the media in XBMC, i need to turn TV volume right up to 75/100 to get the same real volume.

The system volume remains at max, still can't find a reason XBMC is quieter Sad
Damn, this is still pestering me, having to turn my TV, XBMC and System volume to near Maximum to get comfortable listening volume during a movie (Superman 1 :p)

Its so strange that no one else is experiencing this, must be my Mac Mini model or something, but its all software. All other programs but XBMC play plenty loud at lower volumes :confused2:
XBMC 10.1, Mac Mini 1.83Ghz, 1.25GB, 80GB + 4TB
No its not just you. I've tried xbmc three different computers, two of them Mac minis and I have same problems. The volume volume from xbmc is too low, my amp has to go almost half way to hear good sound, while on vlc or mplayer or iTunes having amp at even less than one fifth produces verrey audible clear volume.

I think the issue is with two speaker systems. Xbmc downmixes five channels to two and loses audio fidelity and volume in the process for some reason. Other programs don't have this issue with same files. All my files are hd mkv and I've been having the same issue for three years, on ALL files. Only distinction I can draw is avi or divx files, which normally are only two channel, volume plays fine, while mkvs generally have dd or ac3 or whatever the multiple surround sound Is, and that's where the problem is.

Initially my system was temporarily connected from Mac mini via stereo cable to amp, which I can understand volume would be low due to mini not having enough power. I then immediately shifted to a very good USB dac, going from Mac mini to a very expensive integrated amp, and b&w tower speakers. The point being its not a matter of increasing wattage as I already have a pretty good system. The issue is definitely xbmc related.

There is an option for boost volume on downmix, which as I understand it tells the system to boost volume when it Is outputting 5.1 sound through 2 or 2.1 channel, but the problem is having this on starts crackling the sound tremendously at any volume level, especially if you go from a normal scene to for example a loud fight scene it becomes fuzzy and crackly and definitely not good for equipment either. And like I said, ALL other non xbmc programs play volume fine. In normal operation my speakers have never crackled unless im playing a very bad quality file. If I was to use the same amp level for these programs that I use on xbmc, It would be unbearably loud for more than 2 minutes. Oh and previously I had a 2008 c2d 2ghz Mac mini, I currently have the newest 2010 one, and both had the same volume level issues.

If anybody is willing to look into thi in more detail I'll gladly provide the appropriate logs if you tell me where they are.
I made this thread too, you may want to post in this one instead/aswell

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=8...post814007
XBMC 10.1, Mac Mini 1.83Ghz, 1.25GB, 80GB + 4TB
Changing the Audio output from Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server to HDA Nvidia, SAM SAMSUNG on HDMI increased my volume greatly. HDMI Nvidia GTX-690 - Ubuntu 12.04 - XBMC 13-Alpha10.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Volume amplification0