[APPLETV] Dharma 10.0 release almost unusable on Apple TV
Sad 
I just installed the official 10.0 release from Launcher, and it's painfully slow to browse videos. A lag of about 5-10 seconds from when I click the remote to when the interface moves to the next item. This same atv was peppy under 9.11.

I'm browsing in the Videos menu, with the big list. No media scanning is going on. Playback itself is fine when it gets going, but the menus are like running Windows Vista on a 386 processor.

Any fixes to try? Or any plans to put 9.11 back on launcher until this is fixed? Or is there a manual way for me to downgrade to 9.11?
Is DDS enabled? If not see this post:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=dds
Unless it was installed with the default options, no. Stock 9.11 install that was then updated to a stock 10.0 install via launcher. Stock v1 AppleTV hardware too.

I found instructions for downgrading at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67922 which works to take it back to 9.11.

Other notes, the only skins that don't have significant lag in 10.0 on ATV are Alaska and Alaska Revisited.

Also, even the homescreen in Confluence is unusable, just a single click from Videos to Settings can take 5-10 seconds.
That's strange. I have no problems at all. Only difference is that I've DDS enabled. Be careful when downgrading. I'm not sure what it does to your library.
I'm not having those problems on my ATV with CrystalHD card and ubuntu 9.10. DDS is enabled (which WILL slow the machine down for a while... it'll take the box hours to compress, and requires you to actually attempt to look at each fanart). You can watch the logs to see how it's doing.

Once that's done though, it's snappy. I'm currently running Cirrus which is quite nice and minimal and works great on the ATV.
I see nothing like that on my ATV(osx), I have tried all the skins in official repo. granted some are really slow but nothing as bad as 5-10 seconds.

seeing a debug log might shed some light on a issue you are having
gameraboy Wrote:I just installed the official 10.0 release from Launcher, and it's painfully slow to browse videos. A lag of about 5-10 seconds from when I click the remote to when the interface moves to the next item. This same atv was peppy under 9.11.

I'm browsing in the Videos menu, with the big list. No media scanning is going on. Playback itself is fine when it gets going, but the menus are like running Windows Vista on a 386 processor.

Any fixes to try? Or any plans to put 9.11 back on launcher until this is fixed? Or is there a manual way for me to downgrade to 9.11?

turn off auto thumb, and until you post your xbmc.log we can't tell what's going on.
gameraboy: did you figure it out? i just updated and am having the same problem
I had mine configured to an MySQL database, but following the Dharma upgrade that wasn't working anymore. I removed the references to the database in Avancedsettings.xml and all was peachy.
Now I just need to recreate the database
/mikkel
Same situation for me. Dharma is unusably slow. Worked fine on earlier build.

Seems to be mostly on the movies screen. 5-30 second lag between scrolling between movies.

I thought it had something to do with the number of movies (about 700) so cleared all files and imported just one of the smaller folders of movies (about 100) and same issue.

I did complete reinstall of everything.
I re-imported my files. A few times.
I disabled fan artwork in background.
I tried every skin available, and Alaska does seem the fastest but still unusable.
Main menu seems fine, 90% of the time. Just seems to be movie menu. Actually usable about 10% of the time. Then it gets so slow it is unusable. No rhyme or reason as to when it starts to slow down.

Strangely the TV menu seems very fast, with 44 items listed.

Running XBMC 10.0 R35648
ATV 3.0.2
Launcher 3.2.5

I can try to post my logs if anyone is interested.

Need to know if i can either go back to earlier version or ?
Help please!!
checking my logs, i see a lot of these errors for a number of movies. not sure what it means but wondering if its related. Im a bit of a noob btw.

"ERROR: Open - error probing input format, /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/media/Kids/Movies/Ramona.And.Beezus.2010./ramona.and.beezus.xvid.avi
"
I seem to have found the problem. there were about ten movies that were giving XBMC issues. based on logs, i deleted all the movies that were coming up "error probing input format" and so far so good! Its fast, and I like! cross my fingers.
I just got my ATV gen 1 40GB and Broadcom card yesterday and after a bunch of messing around with various configs, i am getting what i feel to be excellent performance with the Dharma 10.0 release. I was previously using a 3.3ghz Core 2 Quad and i'm finding the ATV to be just fine in comparison, both navigating menus and playing 720p + 1080p mkv.

This is the setup i am running

Apple TV 40GB
Broadcom Crystal HD BCM970015 (new model)
Crystalbuntu Pin87a image, installed to local hard drive
XBMC Dharma r35648
Crystal HD r161
Transparency! 3.11 theme (also tried confluence and alaska, both were also fine)
DDS enabled
Media streaming from 100mbit wired ethernet over SMB

Both 720p + 1080p mkv rips are playing with few to no dropped frames, aside from the normal few when first hitting play. CPU seems to hover around 25-30% on 720p and 40-45% on 1080p.
I'm new to the forum but wanted to share my experience with Dharma. Here is my setup:

Apple TV 40 GB
Broadcom Crystal HD BCM970015 card
Pin87a's Crystalbuntu image
Crystal HD driver r174
XBMC 10.0 r35648
DDS not enabled
'Night' theme
Connected to Airport Extreme router acting as wireless repeater (5GHz 'n' network; main AEBS router ~50ft away)
Media stored on 8TB Drobo connected to Mac mini via FW800

Considering I'm on a wireless network, I couldn't be happier with my setup. High bitrate 720p streams without issue, which represents the majority of my media. I can get some 1080p to play but high bitrate stuff struggles, likely due to wifi throughput.

I did notice a major slowdown after about 13 days of system uptime. The menus scrolled without issue, but selecting anything for playback caused extreme slowdown. Audio playback would start while still on the selection screen, and it would take upwards of 90 seconds before the screen would change to show the video. After that point playback would continue without issue. Looking at the system info, the CPU was only at 20-35%, but the memory utilized was at around 85%. Restarting by unplugging/plugging-in brought memory usage down to around 40% and videos start playing immediately once again.

This has given new life to an Apple TV that hadn't seen use in almost a year, and I am extremely pleased with the results. I had purchased an ATV2 with visions of streaming from Plex, but that has turned out to be a very ugly proposition at best. Many thanks to those responsible!
Just upgraded to Dharma and it's really slow to respond to remote. Videos play fine once selected, it's just the menu screens are like slideshows. Sad

Running ATV 3.0.2 and Launcher 3.2.5

I've removed all the sources and library contents and re-added, but still slow. What other things could it be? Are there any solutions yet?

OSX Version : 10.6.6
Platform AppleTV 1
Launcher version : 3.2.5
Install Method - Launcher
SVN Revision : Dharma 10.0
FULL Debug Log :

Quote:**** edited by amet: please use pastebin.com to upload the logs and only post a link here ****

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLETV] Dharma 10.0 release almost unusable on Apple TV0