Upgraded to Dharma, dropping a lot of frames
I'll be honest, I'm not the most savvy user out there, but I did manage to get my Zotac ION box with 2GB of RAM running perfectly with the 9.04 version of XBMC. I got a new HDD and installed the Dharma 10.0 tonight and it plays 720p just fine, but 1080p drops about 15 frames per second.

I upgraded the NVIDIA drivers to 260 and that seemed to not do anything at all. just wondering if anyone else more experienced is having similar issues and can sort of guide me through getting it setup.

Thanks!
rampar Wrote:I'll be honest, I'm not the most savvy user out there, but I did manage to get my Zotac ION box with 2GB of RAM running perfectly with the 9.04 version of XBMC. I got a new HDD and installed the Dharma 10.0 tonight and it plays 720p just fine, but 1080p drops about 15 frames per second.

I upgraded the NVIDIA drivers to 260 and that seemed to not do anything at all. just wondering if anyone else more experienced is having similar issues and can sort of guide me through getting it setup.

Thanks!

Did you ensure you have VDPAU enabled?
ASRock ION 330 • XBMC Live 10 • Harmony One Remote • MCE IR Sensor • 6TB NAS
Yep,

I watched a file last night,bd rip to (MKV) H264 and Flac and I saw about the same thing with very jerky playback. Upgraded from RC2 yesterday that upgrade also installed the new Nvidia driver as well. sync to audio is turned on, match refresh rate is off. I am on mythbuntu 10.04 .22 kernel. These are new rips done with a new windows 7 machine with eac3to GUI, I will compare with some old MKV's that I know worked 100% in previous versions later and add to this.

Dave
same here. ubuntu maverick, mac mini 2010. had this particular behavior with dharma RC2 also. since i've set A/V sync to resample audio i have much less dropped frames.
Add me to the list, Video also stutters (though there are no frames dropped shown in the OSD)

I noticed this after upgrading to xbmc 10 to (from rc4). I run xbmc on ubuntu 9.10.
At the same time I also upgraded my nvidia drivers from 260.21 to 260.29 and the firmware of my samsung c750 to the newest version.
I tired playing the same mkv through the tv's mediaplayer and there was no stutter at all. So the tv is not the problem.
I reverted to the NVIDIA 260.21 drivers. The stutter remains.
So for me the only logical conclusion is that the problem lies with xbmc 10.
I remember when I first had my system setup I only had 1 stick of 2 GB and 1080 was choppy, so I switched it to 2 sticks of 1 GB and then it ran smooth. 720p has always seemed to play fine regardless of the setup, so 1080p is where I think most people are having their problem at. Also, where is the audio/video sync option?
Ok, I ran

sudo apt-get install update libvdpau1 nvidia-current-modaliases

Then restarted the box and everything seems to be working great. Around 4.5% CPU usage and I drop about 7-10 frames at the beginning and then it runs flawlessly!

I hope this works for someone else out there also!
Had the same experience in the last days...

RC2 was fine for me, Dharma Final introduced very cheesy 1080p playback.

Running on:
i3 530, Zotac H55 ITX, Nvidia 430GT

Updated NV Drivers from XSwat and XBMC Final at the same time and all of my 1080p Movies had issues (stop playing after some serious playback issues/artifacs, general artifacts and stuttering, etc.).

Reverted back to an old Backup with RC2 and old NV Drivers. --> 1080p plays perfect
Upgraded NV Drivers to 260.29 --> Still perfect
XBMC RC2 to Final --> Borked 1080p playback.

When I switch off VDPAU and let the CPU compute the 1080p content it gets a little bit better, but there are still playback errors. There seems to be something broken in the player...

I might try the apt-get update suggestion later when I can find some more time to see if it helps.
rampar Wrote:sudo apt-get install update libvdpau1 nvidia-current-modaliases

thanks very much, worked perfect for me! Laugh
Hello.

I also have dropping lot of frames/jerkiness on my install of Dharma live installed from scratch live cd, upgraded nvidia drivers to 260.19.29 same problem.

Tried sudo apt-get install update libvdpau1 nvidia-current-modaliases and i get Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package update

And there im stuck. Installed 9.11 live on another ssd and i dont have any problem there.
Upgraded the nvidia drivers on Dharma with
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig

When i run apt-cache policy nvidia-current xbmc libvdpau1 libvdpau-dev i can see there is a newer libvdpau1, libvdpau-dev available
libvdpau1:
Installed: 0.3-2build1
Candidate: 0.4-3~lucid~nvidiavdpauppa1
Version table:
0.4-3~lucid~nvidiavdpauppa1 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
*** 0.3-2build1 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libvdpau-dev:
Installed: 0.3-2build1
Candidate: 0.4-3~lucid~nvidiavdpauppa1
Version table:
0.4-3~lucid~nvidiavdpauppa1 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
*** 0.3-2build1 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Is there anyone who can say the right command to update libvdpau1/libvdpau-dev on Dharma live?
Regards
/Rico_s
my best guess is that you don't have a repository in your list that provides an updated libvdpau1 (x-swat does NOT)

add ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa and see if that helps updating libvdpau1

the modaliases should already have been updated from x-swat
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hey.

Sorry i forgot to tell what hardware ive got.
Asrock ion 330.

Tried the sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa and it was added but when i then run sudo apt-get install update libvdpau1 nvidia-current-modaliases
or sudo apt-get install update libvdpau1 i still get
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package update

Cant seem to find any information anyware how to update the libvdpau1 stated in this thread Sad

UPDATE:

I saw in the adress for the libvdpau1/libcdpau-dev http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages which i couldnt surf to so i investigated and found the package at http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/pp.../libvdpau/. I downloaded libvdpau_0.4-3~lucid~nvidiavdpauppa1.debian.tar.gz unpacked it and ftped it to /tmp dir, ran sudo aptitude install libvdpau-dev and sudo aptitude install libvdpau1 and now i have the latest libvdpau1/libcdpau-dev and no massive frame drops/jerkiness Smile

1 question tho why havent xbmc team released Dharma 10.0 with the latest nvidia drivers and libvdpau1/libcdpau-dev? I hope they release a 10.0 repack Wink

Thank you for youre help and time.
Regards
/Rico_s
Rico_s Wrote:E: Couldn't find package update

OMG sometimes I'm really blind Rofl
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I dont know what crazy stuff that goes on in this thread but as far as I know asrock ion 330 have been running HD for a while with standard drivers. If you have to downbload a deb instead of running apt-get it is likely that you are doing something wrong. Agree?

I guess what Hannes is trying to say is that if we study the command:

Quote:apt-get install update libvdpau1
everything coming after "install" is the packages you want to install.

Quote:E: Couldn't find package update
This seem to indicate that no package called update exist.

try
sudo apt-get install libvdpau1
ohh .. that i didnt see, i only went with the command rampar posted here.
Regards
/Rico_s

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgraded to Dharma, dropping a lot of frames0