Building a HTPC with HDMI 1.3 / 1.4 that support 3D output to a 3DTV (3D Television)?
Guess i should then. Using wake-on-lan i can power it up, and just enable hibernate after 30 minutes to automatically shut it down again as well.
Reading this thread makes me want to buy a 3D tv Big Grin
I am currently running a FreeNAS which has functioned nicely for me and has met all of my needs thus far. Now that I am planning to use my NAS purely for media I am wanting to completely automate my torrents and use services such as Couch Potato and Sickbeard.

Currently, I only have my process partially automated. What server solution do you recommend? Would Ubuntu work well for this?
bmcclure937 Wrote:I am currently running a FreeNAS which has functioned nicely for me and has met all of my needs thus far. Now that I am planning to use my NAS purely for media I am wanting to completely automate my torrents and use services such as Couch Potato and Sickbeard.

Currently, I only have my process partially automated. What server solution do you recommend? Would Ubuntu work well for this?

I'm pretty sure CP, SAB, and SickBeard will work on all platforms, so Ubuntu should be fine. Support for torrents is kind of weak, though, you should be looking at Usenet.
I don't know how far along you are into the build/purchase phase but from a personal POV I'm not finding XBMC very good for HALF SBS. t least not on my ZBOX.

It plays fine.. as it should because all it is basically is a 1080p mkv, however no matter how much tweaking I do I can't get rid of the horrible shadows that run down the left and right side of the screens. This is best described as 2 bands about 1-1.5 inches thickwhere the picture is darker. No ammount of messing about with overscan or picture calibration can make it go away. Also the crosstalk seems a helluva lot worse under XBMC.
When I run SBS through the built in Samsung media player it's not there and the crosstalk is much better. If I need full DTS I run the mkv's through the media player built into the Samsung Bluray player that was bundled with the TV and have the audio out through Optical and into amp.

The media player built into TV and Bluray player plays all divx/xvid ts and mkv files I've tried. I have had to remux a couple with txmuxer to sort out header compression but thats no great shakes.
danbst Wrote:When I run SBS through the built in Samsung media player it's not there and the crosstalk is much better.

Hmm, I will have to try that.

ECEC Wrote:I'm pretty sure CP, SAB, and SickBeard will work on all platforms, so Ubuntu should be fine. Support for torrents is kind of weak, though, you should be looking at Usenet.

Thanks! I will need to get started with Usenet. I am a member on two private torrent trackers so I usually get my movies from those sources.

Since I am new to Usenet, what do you recommend? Sorry for going off-topic. I should realistically take these questions elsewhere.
bmcclure937 Wrote:Thanks! I will need to get started with Usenet. I am a member on two private torrent trackers so I usually get my movies from those sources.

Since I am new to Usenet, what do you recommend? Sorry for going off-topic. I should realistically take these questions elsewhere.

I'll PM you.
Great thread,

I recently got a 55c7000 and built a htpc, i have found that with the latest nvidia drivers on a gts450 if i set the desktop res to 1080p 3d then it fits the screen perfectly but you cant play sbs as the thinks its in 3d already and you cant switch to sbs. Normal 1080p overscans and i get worse ghosting on this setting.

How are other ppl working around this?

Also i still get slight frame drops on 1080 mkv's with xbmc the processor is a i5 using the hdmi with audio from the graphics card. Could it be that the cable that came with the graphics card cant cope with the data rate.
t0pcat Wrote:How are other ppl working around this?

I use half SBS instead of full SBS for that reason.

Quote:Also i still get slight frame drops on 1080 mkv's with xbmc the processor is a i5 using the hdmi with audio from the graphics card. Could it be that the cable that came with the graphics card cant cope with the data rate.

Hmmm that is more than enough power. Do you have frame rate matching enabled?

Where is the frame rate matching? Is that the A/V sync method?
t0pcat Wrote:Where is the frame rate matching? Is that the A/V sync method?

Frame rate matching enables 24p support. A/V sync keeps the audio in sync when you enable that mode.

danbst Wrote:When I run SBS through the built in Samsung media player it's not there and the crosstalk is much better.

Ok, I tried this out and you were right- 3D quality was MUCH MUCH better. So much better I will declare XBMC unfit for playing back 3D content. Jeez, I didn't know what I was missing.

I think I see a Boxee Box in my future just to play 3D content.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Ok, I tried this out and you were right- 3D quality was MUCH MUCH better. So much better I will declare XBMC unfit for playing back 3D content. Jeez, I didn't know what I was missing.

I think I see a Boxee Box in my future just to play 3D content.

Oh no!! So does this mean that using a gt4xx with XBMC turns out not to be the best 3D solution?! Confused

Why can't XBMC implement similar 3D functionality as Boxee? Stare

I will be curious to hear back, as I was banking on using XBMC with the GT430 as my "future-proof" and "3D Ready" home theater front-end!
bmcclure937 Wrote:Oh no!! So does this mean that using a gt4xx with XBMC turns out not to be the best 3D solution?! Confused

Why can't XBMC implement similar 3D functionality as Boxee? Stare

I will be curious to hear back, as I was banking on using XBMC with the GT430 as my "future-proof" and "3D Ready" home theater front-end!

I'm not having any problems with 3d from my setup thus far with the gt430 on a panny gt25.then again I have 1.4a from htpc through avr to tv...see my sig for the setup. Als
O not listed is powerdvd, which I have yet to set up in launcher.
Silverstone Case with Windows 7 HTPC(considering Ubuntu) with Biostar TA790GX A3+ w/ Quad-core Phenom 2 processor, 8GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaw RAM, Zotac nvidia gt430 gpu w/hdmi 1.4a, Pioneer BD-S02 Bluray Combo drive, Mygica HD Thriller ATSC/NTSC Clear QAM Hybrid PCI PVR card, USB-UIRT, Onkyo HT-S9300THX 7.1 System, 50" Panasonic Viera 3DTV (TC-P50GT25), Verizon Fios with Motorola HD DVR, XBOX 360 w/ Kinect, Panasonic DMP-BDT100 FullHD 3D Bluray Player, X10 NStinct Remote

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building a HTPC with HDMI 1.3 / 1.4 that support 3D output to a 3DTV (3D Television)?1