Building a HTPC with HDMI 1.3 / 1.4 that support 3D output to a 3DTV (3D Television)?
Hmm... good to hear. I have a Panasonic 54VT25 and will be building my system around an Intel i3 and GT430.
bmcclure937 Wrote:Oh no!! So does this mean that using a gt4xx with XBMC turns out not to be the best 3D solution?! Confused

Oh god no. A gt4xx is still the best for true 1080p 3D. XBMC doesn't have the capability to use that power anyway, you have to use PowerDVD.

What I was saying is that XBMC isn't up to snuff for 720p 3D. Which is sad. ION level hardware can technically play 720p 3D.

Quote:Why can't XBMC implement similar 3D functionality as Boxee?

Because no XBMC developers have a 3D TV. I am sure at least one of the Boxee devs do.

Quote:I will be curious to hear back, as I was banking on using XBMC with the GT430 as my "future-proof" and "3D Ready" home theater front-end!

GT430 is the only futureproof solution. My findings don't change that. We just have to launch other programs from XBMC to get true 3D support (for a while I bet).

Boxee doesn't even support 1080p 3D because their box lacks the power of a GT430.

Hi everyone, I'm looking to build a 3D capable HTPC. I've done some research and so far I have decided on the following hardware parts. I would love to hear your feedback on this and if you see any areas where you would recommend a different part.

Core Parts:
Case: SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum Grandia Series GD05B
MOBO: Intel DH55PJ LGA 1156 Intel H55 Micro ATX
CPU: Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156
Video: ASUS GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB - Low Profile

I have also selected a 380W PSU, OCZ 32gb SSD as boot drive, 4gb of DDR3 memory and an AVS Gear MG-IR01BK MCE Infrared Remote Control. My home entertainment unit consists of a Samsung 58" 3D Plasma, Samsung 3D blu-ray and a Yamaha RX-A800 A/V receiver. Since I have a standalone blu-ray player I'm not interested in installing a BD Drive and lastly I will be streaming all my media from my existing Windows 7 PC over a 100mb LAN.

Do you guys feel this will be a decent setup? Is it possible to go with a smaller case and still have the ability to install a video card? I would also be open to a mini-ITX motherboard and case but I need to have the ability to install a video card since there is no motherboard with on-board GPU that supports HDMI 1.4a, hence the reason I've selected the Nvidia GT 430.
I really like your build selections! I am currently in the market for a custom box for XBMC and have selected the same case, mobo, cpu, gpu, etc.
You might be interested in the following threads, where we're talking about in general about 3D and specifically about XBMC in 3D:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=66970

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88131
poofyhairguy Wrote:Ok, I tried this out and you were right- 3D quality was MUCH MUCH better. So much better I will declare XBMC unfit for playing back 3D content. Jeez, I didn't know what I was missing.

I think I see a Boxee Box in my future just to play 3D content.

Good stuff. Glad it's not just my setup. I was starting to think there was something I wasn't doing right.
Sure the interface of the samsung media player is a tad lacking but it's all I can really use for SBS.
There's place enough under the TV for both XBMC and Samsung media player. I have all my 3D stuff on 1 HD that is plugged into my Sammy Bluray player and XBMC to run everything else. Certainly couldn't ditch XBMC as the codec flexibility puts it leaps and bounds above anything else (coverflowing all my movies is reason enough to keep as well)... but it's just not ready for 3D yet IMHO. Technically it's not a problem to RUN the files but as I say the erratic overscan?? (if thats what it is) and extra crosstalk relegate it to 2nd place.
Hi.
I have a Zotac HD-ND22, and have just ordered a Philips 46PFL8605H + 3D glasses.
Will I be able to play 3D with this? I have searched around, and get figure out if the Zotac has HDMI 1.4 or not.
No. Not really. At best you will be able to play Half SBS files poorly. There is only really one 3D capable all-in-one media HTPC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Since that is expensive, another option is to build a HTPC with a decent dual core (at least) and a NVidia GT430 at its heart. That is what I did for my 3D tv.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but would an i3 530 + GT430 be able to do it?
Yes.

Question 
Hi,
I have a bluemonkey.isoNod 3d in my hdd and I wanted to know if my system specs are going to render this masterpiece flawlessly:
cpu: intel dual core , 2.50 ghz
ram: 4gb bus 800
gpu: as recommended gt 430 for rendering 3d
and I wanted to know if I can offload the cpu throughly and render all the content over gt 430; by the way my MOBO only supports PCI.E 1.0 not 2.0 and I also wanted to know if I can use powerdvd's tool to convert 2d to 3d with the same specs explained above and with no cpu get-eaten; because converting 2d to 3d via powerdvd or using it's truetheater tool is really consuming, thanks.
wow, thanks for all these precious infos poofyhairguy!!
danbst Wrote:I don't know how far along you are into the build/purchase phase but from a personal POV I'm not finding XBMC very good for HALF SBS. t least not on my ZBOX.

It plays fine.. as it should because all it is basically is a 1080p mkv, however no matter how much tweaking I do I can't get rid of the horrible shadows that run down the left and right side of the screens. This is best described as 2 bands about 1-1.5 inches thickwhere the picture is darker. No ammount of messing about with overscan or picture calibration can make it go away. Also the crosstalk seems a helluva lot worse under XBMC.
When I run SBS through the built in Samsung media player it's not there and the crosstalk is much better. If I need full DTS I run the mkv's through the media player built into the Samsung Bluray player that was bundled with the TV and have the audio out through Optical and into amp.

The media player built into TV and Bluray player plays all divx/xvid ts and mkv files I've tried. I have had to remux a couple with txmuxer to sort out header compression but thats no great shakes.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Ok, I tried this out and you were right- 3D quality was MUCH MUCH better. So much better I will declare XBMC unfit for playing back 3D content. Jeez, I didn't know what I was missing.

Hallo,

what is situation with it now? According these posts from 2010-12-27, 3D half SBS in XBMC is not as good as right on TV. I have Atom 525 and ION 2, will be 3D half SBS movie perfect on last build XBMC (Linux or Win 7)? Where is problem, I think that 3D half SBS mkv is for XBMC normal 1080p mkv...or not?

Thank you very much for your answer.
From my point of view I never did get SBS right on XBMC. It may well be that this was specific to my setup.
Of course all of the SBS I tried were 1080p and the Zotac can breeze along with this. The problem as I see it that as the name would have it is that SBS is 2 images played side by side. The hardware in the TV presumably does the work of taking these 2 and placing them on top of each other then stretching the overlaid image back to 1080. XBMC is great in as far as you can custom fit more or less any video to exactly stretch to the 4 edges of your TV. Unfortunately no matter how much time I spent with vid calibration and tweaking the screen I just couldn't get rid of the shadows on the right/left edges of the screen and the exagerated ghosting. Over a year later and I'm still using the media player built into my Samsung TV.
Thank you for your reply. What type of Zotac do you have a what type of XBMC do you use (Live, Linux, Windows,...)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building a HTPC with HDMI 1.3 / 1.4 that support 3D output to a 3DTV (3D Television)?1