Any ION board with Component Out or cheap convertor?
maxinc Wrote:Now we are stuck with the old 800x600 plasma which is long due for replacement but this kind of forces my hand a little bit as I'm not sure I'm ready to switch to 3D yet.

Poor old thing! My plasma is almost 10 years old, 840x480 resolution, and has component. Nobody had heard of HDMI when this thing was built.

I was really keen to upgrade my old XBox to something that could handle HD content so that when I upgrade my screen I'll already have an established video library. I went down the AppleTV routee and put a Linux image onto it. With the memory normally used by FrontRow liberated it's very responsive. Even handles 1080p *nearly* flawlessly. Now that Dharma is released, these linux images are being updated and polished. With a bit of luck that'll iron out the final framedrops and smooth it out completely.

I won't for one moment suggest you did the wrong thing with an ION board and a converter (if I'd had HDMI I'd have gone straight for an ION). Just saying don't write off the AppleTV too soon. And don't write off the plasma screen just because it's an SD/Component model. I'll hang onto mine for another couple of years and then go straight to a 3D one I guess. Wonder what I'll do for my XBMC then - keep the ATV or upgrade...

Nice adapter though - something for me to keep in mind. Thanks for posting your findings.
maxinc Wrote:2. Samsung 55" LCD - LE55B650

Component YPbPr - excellent 1080p/60, very close to HDMI.

http://www.hdcable.co.uk/hdmi-rgb-compon...audio.html

@maxinc,

The link you posted shows that it only supports 1080i over component.

Quote:Component maximum output resolution: 1080i (if supported by display)

Are you saying that it supports 1080p/60 on your Samsung for sure?

Samsung is one of the only manufacturers that has consistently supported 1080p over Component for years, and I'm the proud owner of the (now discontinued) 67" LED DLP sets.

Could you clarify?

-Wes
Yes indeed, my Samsung reported 1080p 60Hz when connected with component cables from the WD TV and from the HTPC with XBMC.

Edit: I checked the leaflet that came in the box and it confirms 1080p/60 over component. It must be a typo on their website.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any ION board with Component Out or cheap convertor?0