Is it possible to use IMDb.com scraper for TV Shows and TV Show Episodes?
isamu.dragon Wrote:Actually, Mythbusters and Pawn Stars do update. the problem is that people put wrong information, like according to the official site Pawns Stars is in it's 2nd season, but idiots were filing out the 3rd & 4th seasons. Many scene groups follow this. With Mythbusters, too many people were writing information for specials in the individual season. Both these shows in response to the MASS of incorrect information were locked and are updated by the site owners.

Well the owners who update it sure do take their time. Pawn stars last update was over SIX months ago. And Mythbusters WAS out of date for over four months. And these are just two of MANY examples.

If users miss-date them, then other users can fix them. This is not an uncommon practice for fan content sites. Not allowing them to be fixed for months on end is NOT a good practice. If the owners can't keep up with it, they should allow users to make the correction themselves. With the MANY people complaining about the site on sites like these, I am sure they would have gotten fixed by one of them. I KNOW I would have fixed them!

Go ahead and lock it AFTER the fix, but I see no logic in locking it BEFORE you fix it and then leaving it unattended for months. It is HIGHLY possible that a fan would have made the corrections. At any rate why lock it with the WRONG information? Either fix it or leave it alone... it can't get any worse right? Locking in the wrong information is just a dumb mistake by the owners that is costing them more harm than it should. It's just a dumb idea.
tommymsw Wrote:Well the owners who update it sure do take their time. Pawn stars last update was over SIX months ago. And Mythbusters WAS out of date for over four months. And these are just two of MANY examples.

If users miss-date them, then other users can fix them. This is not an uncommon practice for fan content sites. Not allowing them to be fixed for months on end is NOT a good practice. If the owners can't keep up with it, they should allow users to make the correction themselves. With the MANY people complaining about the site on sites like these, I am sure they would have gotten fixed by one of them. I KNOW I would have fixed them!

Go ahead and lock it AFTER the fix, but I see no logic in locking it BEFORE you fix it and then leaving it unattended for months. It is HIGHLY possible that a fan would have made the corrections. At any rate why lock it with the WRONG information? Either fix it or leave it alone... it can't get any worse right? Locking in the wrong information is just a dumb mistake by the owners that is costing them more harm than it should. It's just a dumb idea.

The reason shows get locked is because people can't agree on things and keep changing it. in the example of Mythbusters, It doesn't have a true season order as all the sites that list seasons, including the DVD releases and official sites all differ in there actual "season" order. As for not updated for 4 months, that is because Mythbusters goes on hiatus at random times with no new episodes for 4+ months at a time (the same reason there is no correct season order) I believe the current ordering for Mythbusters is what the official site for it states are the seasons and episodes BUT whenever it is unlocked people go and change all the episodes and such all over again, where it then needs to be fixed, and there are hundreds of topic posts on their forums over things.
As for other shows all the ones that are locked are either ended with everything already in correct order or people keep making a mess of the show (and there is most likely a forum post about that particular show, and if you see something wrong with a show that is locked you can ask to have it corrected.)

As for you being able to keep track of all the TV shows so you could fix them if you could, honestly I doubt it, it'd be a huge task, I can't even imagine how many different TV shows are on there that people go and change and then need to be corrected on a daily basis.

as for "it can't get worse" you obviously haven't seen some of the ones people go and screw up whether intentionally or because they believe that the order they decided on is more correct then multiple sources and then re-number everything along with deleting other things etc. which then screws up all the numbers and orders for everyone else trying to use that particular show.

And while some of TVDBs ways of doing somethings can be extremely rude (re: some of their responses, when say the same question has been asked and answered hundreds of times), the info on the site is generally one of the best places to get ALL of the info for most shows in one place.
cainecollin Wrote:The reason shows get locked is because people can't agree on things and keep changing it. in the example of Mythbusters, It doesn't have a true season order as all the sites that list seasons, including the DVD releases and official sites all differ in there actual "season" order. As for not updated for 4 months, that is because Mythbusters goes on hiatus at random times with no new episodes for 4+ months at a time (the same reason there is no correct season order) I believe the current ordering for Mythbusters is what the official site for it states are the seasons and episodes BUT whenever it is unlocked people go and change all the episodes and such all over again, where it then needs to be fixed, and there are hundreds of topic posts on their forums over things.
As for other shows all the ones that are locked are either ended with everything already in correct order or people keep making a mess of the show (and there is most likely a forum post about that particular show, and if you see something wrong with a show that is locked you can ask to have it corrected.)

As for you being able to keep track of all the TV shows so you could fix them if you could, honestly I doubt it, it'd be a huge task, I can't even imagine how many different TV shows are on there that people go and change and then need to be corrected on a daily basis.

as for "it can't get worse" you obviously haven't seen some of the ones people go and screw up whether intentionally or because they believe that the order they decided on is more correct then multiple sources and then re-number everything along with deleting other things etc. which then screws up all the numbers and orders for everyone else trying to use that particular show.

And while some of TVDBs ways of doing somethings can be extremely rude (re: some of their responses, when say the same question has been asked and answered hundreds of times), the info on the site is generally one of the best places to get ALL of the info for most shows in one place.

I agree that it is one of the best. But that is too bad.

I didn't say I could fix EVERY show but I would have fixed the two I mentioned, with enough fans of the site, I am sure many if not all shows would get fixed.

Pawn Stars is STILL locked and they are months into the new shows.
And the problem with locking is that programs that rely on the information would still work if the information was wrong, but will NOT work if there is no information at all. If they call it season 2 or 50 the programs could still scrape the info or set them to download (sickbeard) even if it had the wrong season number. With the shows locked, the programs that rely on the site don't work at all. I personally would rather see Pawn Stars with the wrong season number (I really don't care what season you call it) than not be able to have or watch Pawn Stars at all. It just seems like they are making a small problem into a bigger problem. They are stalling other programs AND having the wrong season is no worse or better than not having the shows listed at all. It is not solving the problem.

Solving the problem would be easy!
1. Fix the few shows that are wrong themselves.
2. List specific guidelines to naming the show (must come form the official site, no DVD order, etc)
3. Have members sign up to be "advanced" members and give them the right to change and update shows. And revoke this access for messing the shows up. I would be sure they could find tens if not hundreds of people who would sign up.

They have a good thing going and I hate to see them screw it up over something so simple. There are a TON of people calling for other scraping sites. They are #1 now but that can change and they will never get it back!
tommymsw Wrote:I agree that it is one of the best. But that is too bad.

I didn't say I could fix EVERY show but I would have fixed the two I mentioned, with enough fans of the site, I am sure many if not all shows would get fixed.

Pawn Stars is STILL locked and they are months into the new shows.
And the problem with locking is that programs that rely on the information would still work if the information was wrong, but will NOT work if there is no information at all. If they call it season 2 or 50 the programs could still scrape the info or set them to download (sickbeard) even if it had the wrong season number. With the shows locked, the programs that rely on the site don't work at all. I personally would rather see Pawn Stars with the wrong season number (I really don't care what season you call it) than not be able to have or watch Pawn Stars at all. It just seems like they are making a small problem into a bigger problem. They are stalling other programs AND having the wrong season is no worse or better than not having the shows listed at all. It is not solving the problem.

Solving the problem would be easy!
1. Fix the few shows that are wrong themselves.
2. List specific guidelines to naming the show (must come form the official site, no DVD order, etc)
3. Have members sign up to be "advanced" members and give them the right to change and update shows. And revoke this access for messing the shows up. I would be sure they could find tens if not hundreds of people who would sign up.

They have a good thing going and I hate to see them screw it up over something so simple. There are a TON of people calling for other scraping sites. They are #1 now but that can change and they will never get it back!

I think option 3 is the best of the group, have someone that watches those shows be in charge of just those shows. The problem with having one of the main people focus on keeping the info correct, during that time other series' get messed up or might need lots of edits (I'm pretty sure most of the people moderating TVDB do it in their spare time) Also, I could be wrong, BUT I believe they were working on a new version of their code and DB to allow far more option and possibly allow for more things/better details which could completely solve all the numbering problems that keep arising.

Your best bet right now for a show that is locked and hasn't been updated, is a post in their forums saying there is new episodes, and asking if they could either unlock it (which I've seen them do occasionally) or if they could update it for the current seasons episodes.
Pawn Stars was updated last week, Every NEW episode is in season 2.

Mythbusters updated last week as well (updated to about a week ahead). New episodes in season 9.

If they didn't update then SickBeard would be useless for me since i follow these shows.

Problem, I watch both of these shows. And I'd go with the scene release for the numbering (which conflicts with the official numbering)for Pawn Stars, and Mythbusters as well. But there isn't an official season numbering for Mythbusters.

They block users (which you have to signup to mod or add info) because of the WRONG information being added.

Another example is "The Angry Video Game Nerd" there isn't a differentiation of what is or isn't a special, but there are obvious episodes that should be one. However users will add it as a regular episode (without even watching the episode). Instead of constantly deleting entries and rewriting specials, the admin(s) decided to lock the show and add episodes themselves.

Edit: You can add or edit info in season 9 (Mythbusters) and Season 2 (Pawn Stars).
isamu.dragon Wrote:Pawn Stars was updated last week, Every NEW episode is in season 2.

Mythbusters updated last week as well (updated to about a week ahead). New episodes in season 9.

If they didn't update then SickBeard would be useless for me since i follow these shows.

Problem, I watch both of these shows. And I'd go with the scene release for the numbering (which conflicts with the official numbering)for Pawn Stars, and Mythbusters as well. But there isn't an official season numbering for Mythbusters.

They block users (which you have to signup to mod or add info) because of the WRONG information being added.

Another example is "The Angry Video Game Nerd" there isn't a differentiation of what is or isn't a special, but there are obvious episodes that should be one. However users will add it as a regular episode (without even watching the episode). Instead of constantly deleting entries and rewriting specials, the admin(s) decided to lock the show and add episodes themselves.

Edit: You can add or edit info in season 9 (Mythbusters) and Season 2 (Pawn Stars).

I agree that option 3 is the best. And I am not sure you need a person for each show... just make it hard to become an advanced member. Like only allow 100 people at first, sort through them and add new people as they apply.

I use sickbeard too and that is how I know the site was messed up. I missed like 40 Pawn Stars and a bunch of Mythbusters. I thought they stopped making them. My sickbeard still does not show up pawnstars and I manually downloaded them and XBMC and a TV raname program won't scrape them because they all use theTVDB.

(I just did this) My Pawn Stars didn't update and was still not downloading. I had to delete it and re-add it. Looks good now. And See? I don't care that it says season 1 has 14 episodes and season 2 has 111. I just want them to download! That is my beef all along with TVDB, If they are miss labeled that sucks, but if they are locked? That SUPER sucks!
isamu.dragon Wrote:Pawn Stars was updated last week, Every NEW episode is in season 2.

Well even now that I updated Pawn Stars in Sickbeard, it is still no good because nobody uploads the shows with that same format. The shows online still say season 4. Are you getting Pawn Stars? because I am not.
tommymsw Wrote:Well even now that I updated Pawn Stars in Sickbeard, it is still no good because nobody uploads the shows with that same format. The shows online still say season 4. Are you getting Pawn Stars? because I am not.

i am, to fix sickbeard to the second season only delete Pawn Stars & Mythbusters and readd (all within sickbeard DO NOT delete the video folder)

when comparing the scene numbers vs real numbers just do your searches based on the name of the episodes (i use sickbeard for organization not download management)

scene has "Poker Night" (Latest Episode 09-26-2011) numbered as S04E51, but the real number is S02E110.

hope that helps
unfortunately shows like that have all weird numbering. According to the official site for Pawn stars they are only on Season 2: http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-stars/episodes

which is why all new episodes are in season 2. BUT things like the DVD releases and Wikipedia list it as Season 4 (which isn't correct according to the official site) Which is the exact same problem with Mythbusters (which is why both tend to get locked due to everyone always changing the numbering.
isamu.dragon Wrote:i am, to fix sickbeard to the second season only delete Pawn Stars & Mythbusters and readd (all within sickbeard DO NOT delete the video folder)

when comparing the scene numbers vs real numbers just do your searches based on the name of the episodes (i use sickbeard for organization not download management)

scene has "Poker Night" (Latest Episode 09-26-2011) numbered as S04E51, but the real number is S02E110.

hope that helps

Crap! I do use sickbeard for downloading. I did delete the show and readd it but as all the shows online are still listed as season 4 rather than season 2, not only will they not download, but they wont scrape to the season 2 format even if I manually download them. And they won't scrape in XBMC so they won't show up in the library.

I'll just have to get them manually and watch them through a normal viewer.

Maybe TVDB could have a double listing (for some shows) showing both ways. Kind of the way they have the shows in different languages? Maybe list TV order and DVD order?
tommymsw Wrote:Crap! I do use sickbeard for downloading. I did delete the show and readd it but as all the shows online are still listed as season 4 rather than season 2, not only will they not download, but they wont scrape to the season 2 format even if I manually download them. And they won't scrape in XBMC so they won't show up in the library.

I'll just have to get them manually and watch them through a normal viewer.

Maybe TVDB could have a double listing (for some shows) showing both ways. Kind of the way they have the shows in different languages? Maybe list TV order and DVD order?

if you manually rename the season and episode number then all is cool.
meaning change this:
Code:
Pawn.Stars.S04E51.Poker.Night.HDTV.avi
to
Code:
Pawn.Stars.S02E110.Poker.Night.HDTV.avi
and sickbeard will organize it properly
CRAP! Looks like Beavis and Butt-head is not going to work either! The TVDB says the newest season is 8 but MTV says it is season 9. Sad

Well at least sickbeard lets me know when I have to go and manually download. Still pretty cool even if it isn't automated.

I'm more bummed that sickbeard will not know I downloaded it and xbmc will not show it in the library.
I am having the same problem with Pawn stars and others, for sickbeard there is a temp fix, but it leaves the files intact so XBMC will not scrape them, and because the episode numbers are off Sickbeard will not create the NFO's but sickbeard will catch them as downloaded and download new episodes until it "updates" its database again and all the data goes back to the "bad" episode listings.
http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3488
Still looking for a way to either generate an NFO or get them to scrape automatically
djinn5150 Wrote:I am having the same problem with Pawn stars and others, for sickbeard there is a temp fix, but it leaves the files intact so XBMC will not scrape them, and because the episode numbers are off Sickbeard will not create the NFO's but sickbeard will catch them as downloaded and download new episodes until it "updates" its database again and all the data goes back to the "bad" episode listings.
http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3488
Still looking for a way to either generate an NFO or get them to scrape automatically

Just mannually change the numbers to co-inside with theTVDB.

With sickbeard it is even easier, you have what number it is suppose to be, just rename the file and sickbeard will do the rest
isamu.dragon Wrote:Just mannually change the numbers to co-inside with theTVDB.

With sickbeard it is even easier, you have what number it is suppose to be, just rename the file and sickbeard will do the rest

While that does work, it also relies on me manually downloading the episodes and renaming, with this method sickbeard will download them, they just don't go into the "library" in xbmc. For me I mostly want them for use in PseudoTV, so i can get around the not in the library by creating a directory channel. Ideally the "fix" would be that the files would just be released by "air-date" rather then SxE numbering, then sickbeard could find them for download, create the nfo and xbmc would scrape off the nfo, but good luck getting that changed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to use IMDb.com scraper for TV Shows and TV Show Episodes?0