Is it possible to use IMDb.com scraper for TV Shows and TV Show Episodes?
(2012-05-18, 17:48)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-05-18, 15:56)ZaPHoN Wrote: I have a ton of shows that won't even scrape because TVDB is messed up and the mods are arrogant morons that learn more to a dictatorship than an open society.
It's not messed up. You just have it not the same as they have it listed.

People who think they are messed up have never in their lives did any serious site maintaining like they have done. You figure out a good way to keep all data in line with every one screwing around.....

I agree with you. some times the scene release placement is different than the official (i.e. Pawn stars S04E88 is actually S03E36 according to both theTVDB and History Channel)
(2012-05-18, 15:56)ZaPHoN Wrote: I have a ton of shows that won't even scrape because TVDB is messed up and the mods are arrogant morons that learn more to a dictatorship than an open society.

From the series I haven I can assure you that IMDB has far more listed than they have.

And talking about maintenance... I have never heard people complaining about IMDB data...
(2012-05-18, 18:53)davor Wrote:

From the series I haven I can assure you that IMDB has far more listed than they have.

You can add them yourself

Quote:And talking about maintenance... I have never heard people complaining about IMDB data...
That because no one here uses IMDB (or a tiny tiny fraction of users).

And the series the users are complaining about are always the same ones of thousands they have listed.
Talking about nitpicking....
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-05-18, 19:07)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-05-18, 18:53)davor Wrote:
(2012-05-18, 17:48)Martijn Wrote: It's not messed up. You just have it not the same as they have it listed.

Quote:And talking about maintenance... I have never heard people complaining about IMDB data...

And the series the users are complaining about are always the same ones of thousands they have listed.

I would add them, but I have no intention to start adding 200+ episodes. I would if they had a button like "copy from IMDB", but they don't, and I allready discussed that somehere...

Yes, ironically I also use TVDB... Wink
(2012-05-18, 19:31)davor Wrote:
(2012-05-18, 19:07)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-05-18, 18:53)davor Wrote: From the series I haven I can assure you that IMDB has far more listed than they have.

I would add them, but I have no intention to start adding 200+ episodes. I would if they had a button like "copy from IMDB", but they don't, and I allready discussed that somehere...

What series is it? It may have a different name (very possible if a non-US series)
(2012-05-19, 16:44)isamu.dragon Wrote:
(2012-05-18, 19:31)davor Wrote:
(2012-05-18, 19:07)Martijn Wrote: You can add them yourself

What series is it? It may have a different name (very possible if a non-US series)

For example http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124351/ ....
Hate to say it but the reason that it is not present is that it is a Croatian series. Typically theTVDB stays with US, UK, and Anime series. The reason being that the vast majority of the users are from the US and UK. For series outside the "core" base that I just mentioned they need users to fill in the blanks. Basically if no one adds the information how can the site be at fault? It's like saying I'm hungry, but I don't wanna fix/buy some food. It's not the store or the kitchen's fault. Basically add a basic element and others will follow suit. On some web series for a while I had to add information but after a while others started as well, even adding better information than present at the time.
(2012-05-20, 01:27)isamu.dragon Wrote: Basically if no one adds the information how can the site be at fault? It's like saying I'm hungry, but I don't wanna fix/buy some food. It's not the store or the kitchen's fault.

+10
Well put
(2012-05-20, 01:56)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-05-20, 01:27)isamu.dragon Wrote: Basically if no one adds the information how can the site be at fault? It's like saying I'm hungry, but I don't wanna fix/buy some food. It's not the store or the kitchen's fault.

+10
Well put

Well, I'd rather say that I am starving because I am forced to buy from an empty store, while a full store is just a corner around... but not for me. And I feel discriminated Wink. (Comparing TVDB with a store is really really bad... it's more appropriate for IMDB unless you'r having Oxfam in mind...)

I really see no reason why I should support a project like TVDB if IMDB is all ready around, let alone to spend hours copy/pasting because their developers don't think it's important to implement a copy/past button.

TVDB as a supplement to IMDB = OK, but as a second authority = NO.
(2012-05-19, 17:05)davor Wrote: For example http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124351/ ....

IMDb doesn't really have info about the shows and especially not about the episodes.
It would only be possible to scrape the episode list at best. How can you say full store for this?
(2012-05-18, 15:56)ZaPHoN Wrote: As I recall, XBMC used to have IMDB as an option for scrapping TV shows. What happened? Why can't we have it back?
It was long long time ago and IMDb site layout has changed since then, while tvdb got up and running in the meantime.

(2012-05-18, 15:56)ZaPHoN Wrote: Please bring back the ability to scrape TV shows with IMDB. IMDB is already there to scrape Movies. I can't see there being a giant leap in programming to mod it to scape TV shows as well and to simply reply with "of course you can write your own scraper." amounts to an arrogant rebuttal towards non-programmers who can't understand the logic in removing the ability to scrape TV shows with IMDB.
You said you are a non-programmer, so how can you judge how giant effort it would be? In fact you can't just mod the IMDb scraper. Scraping movies and tvshows requires pretty different logic, so this would be a complete new scraper.

We didn't just remove a working scraper on our sole decision.
It had to be removed, because it was not working any more due to the IMDb site layout changes and no one had the interests to maintain it with tvdb arising.
(2012-05-21, 09:34)olympia Wrote:
(2012-05-19, 17:05)davor Wrote: For example http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124351/ ....

IMDb doesn't really have info about the shows and especially not about the episodes.
It would only be possible to scrape the episode list at best. How can you say full store for this?

They also don't handle special episodes. Don't have episode images.

They can have some episode info however a lot is just empty.
So unless a large amount of people start filling that it will be kind of useless.
(2012-05-21, 09:34)olympia Wrote:

Well, compared to nothing, for me it is more than enough. And there are _many_ examples like this where TVDB has nothing.
Hmmm, as being said, non-existing shows can be added to tvdb. I don't think anyone at tvdb would block this. You can't do this on IMDb.

On the other hand, if there is no other info than the episode list, then there is no real point any more to have those shows/eps in the library. Without artwork and show/eps data it is not so much different from the 'Files' view.

Let me re-articulate again: I see no point to develop a scraper without artwork and data. This would just ruin the entire xbmc experience.
(2012-05-21, 10:33)olympia Wrote: Hmmm, as being said, non-existing shows can be added to tvdb. I don't think anyone at tvdb would block this. You can't do this on IMDb.

Yes you can Smile
This will go through a moderation process probably after which you can start adding info.
http://www.imdb.com/updates?update=title

I find the whole IMDB site a bit messy IMO.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to use IMDb.com scraper for TV Shows and TV Show Episodes?0