Loading animation?
When I click a movie in the library to start (from NAS), I have to wait for a few seconds, but there is no indication for this.

It would be better to have a text saying "loading" or an icon like this:

Now sometimes it looks if XBMC is hanging, but it's just waiting to start a movie.
I can't really comment on the adding of a loading sign, but why are you having delays from starting movies? The longest I've ever had is under a second and I run a separate NAS from my HTPC. Sounds to me like some kind of issue that would be better solved by fixing the root issue, even though a loading symbol is a good idea.
Yeah we did have one for the old Xbox but I disabled it for non-Xbox machines. It seemed to be just one slightly unnecessary extra thing to load up (on faster hardware).

I'll look into it and see if we can make something new.
Okay I've added the busy dialog using some small circular dots (like Transparency and xTV amongst others has) and placed them in the lower right hand corner (like Night has it). It's fairly discrete which was what I wanted.
Sharpe Wrote:Okay I've added the busy dialog using some small circular dots (like Transparency and xTV amongst others has) and placed them in the lower right hand corner (like Night has it). It's fairly discreet which was what I wanted.

Thanks Big Grin
Praesten Wrote:I can't really comment on the adding of a loading sign, but why are you having delays from starting movies? The longest I've ever had is under a second and I run a separate NAS from my HTPC. Sounds to me like some kind of issue that would be better solved by fixing the root issue, even though a loading symbol is a good idea.

Because my Nas goes in sleep mode after 3 hours.
When in sleep mode, I have to wait for about 5 seconds before the first movie starts.
Hey Sharpe, i still have the animation images for the ones i made when we used them in xbox. The fancy looking one with the spinning film reel,and the film going empty as the thing spins. That was a lot of time making that frrom scratch,and would love to use that if we're thowing it back in again. Granted it wont be seen a whole lot unless slower situations, and since having much more room to not being limited, i can expend on it, making it little nicer in detail and more frames so it looks more smoothh, and also maybe add small text below the icon (in the images themselves) that says "Loading...",so it's obvious,and yet better looking to build off a little more then what we used before. It's cool with me to make these changes. I still have the PSD file,including animation and al,so most of it's done. I just increase size a little more (detail should be here since i made them smart objects -i believ-, always do that since, but i think i did it then too) and then add some mor frames to smoothen animaion quality,and add 'loadin..." text right below reel image in the process.
Oh well yeah certainly feel free to work on it if you like but I would like to keep it the same size as it is currently. Also I would prefer to keep it really simple and not have any text - just a simple small unobtrusive graphic to indicate it's doing something. To be honest even with it this small it's kinda bugging me - I just don't feel it's really necessary for the length of time it appears.
Eh, ok. We'll keep it as it is then. I agree not too many people will ever even see it. 1st person even mentioning it now in years. THAT low of a percentage. LOL.
djdafreund Wrote:Eh, ok. We'll keep it as it is then. I agree not too many people will ever even see it. 1st person even mentioning it now in years. THAT low of a percentage. LOL.

Anybody who uses the sleep function of a NAS server will experience loading times because the harddisc has to spin up. At least once a day.
athloni Wrote:Because my Nas goes in sleep mode after 3 hours.
When in sleep mode, I have to wait for about 5 seconds before the first movie starts.

Ah, didn't think about that. I disabled all that crap (real computers have 2 speeds, off and full Smile ). But of course not everyone is like me, although I keep forgetting that.
athloni Wrote:Anybody who uses the sleep function of a NAS server will experience loading times because the harddisc has to spin up. At least once a day.
It's cool, we understand that. I was just mentioning it's a few enough percentage as a whole who might think something is wrong because of waiting this time during the spin up NAS's do, that this is the first time being brought up since the Xbox platform (years). It's no problem at all. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Loading animation?0