Dual monitor with independent os sessions
Dual monitor setup frustrated me for a long time. But I think I have finally nailed it down. It is very convoluted, but it works, flawlessly, but maybe it needs systems slighlty faster than normal nettops.The key is to use a VM.
Most importantly I don't have to use the fake full screen mode of XBMC as that invariably leads to screen tearing for me.

My current setup

Windows 7 Ultimate on Amd Phenom II X4 3.2 ghz
LCD tv running at 1080p (secondary display in a different room)
Monitor 1680x1050 (primary display)
Two keyboards and three mice. (preferable have one mouse on the PS/2 input, and if possible one keyboard also)
I also have two sound cards, but not necessary.

XBMC 10.0 stable
Eventghost ( I can also send keyboard presses) (Should also be possible to do without eventghost using the new MCE Remote plugin and accompanying support)
XBMC always stays in focus.
Free VMware player.

The Gist
--------

XBMC and the VM work fullscreen on different monitors. A keyboard and a mouse are dedicated to the VM, and they are in no way then connected to the host OS. Thus if you use them things happen in the VM and they do not interact with the host OS running XBMC. As XBMC stays in focus the mouse and keyboard that remain connected to the host OS only affect XBMC and not your VM.

In the VM you can run anything you like, either a full fledged OS like any of the linux flavours or even windows. Now if you just want windows, and you are running Windows 7 as the host OS anyways, then it is pointless to run a windows on top of windows. You can enable the concurrent session hack in windows 7, the details of which probably should not be discussed on this forum, you can find them elsewhere. Thus, you can run a very light linux flavour like Tiny core linux in VM and use rdesktop to remote into the host OS as a different user. So the windows 7 is running your XBMC on one session and letting you work on the other session concurrently.

How
----

Setup the VM with your flavour of OS. In the VM settings you need to do two thing under the USB settings

1. Disable "Automatically connect USB devices"
2. Enable "Show all USB input devices"

Now after starting the VM you should be able to connect your USB input devices to the VM under the removable devices setting in the top VMware player menu.

Connect one mouse and one keyboard to the VM. After this use one of the other two mice to make this VM full screen on your say primary display. Then start XBMC fullscreen on the secondary display.

So now you have

One VM mouse and one VM keybard, keep it with your VM monitor for working with it.

You can keep one host mouse and host keyboard with the tv for using with xbmc if needed.

The third mouse which is also a host mouse you can keep with your VM monitor, just in case you want to take control of host os from there. When you do your XBMC will minimize if it is not in fake fullscreen which mine is not, but I rarely have to use it.

I also have a usb creative soundcard which I can connect to the vm and listen to music when I am working separately to whatever xbmc might be doing. Or you can leave it connected to the host and use it from your second concurrent windows 7 session.

If you don't use keyboard or mouse with xbmc then you don't need them. But you will still need a second mouse to gain control of host os (and for me that is connected to ps/2 input thus cannot accidently be connected to the vm).

So after doing this I have my pc behaving as completely separate machines an HTPC and a work machine.

Looks like an awful setup at first, but it work fairly smoothly, unless you have to reboot. It might be possible to automate all the stuff and thus it starts up in this fashion after reboot. Possibly add which peripheral to connect to the VM in its vmx file.

I tried to do the same using Virtual box, but it did not work.

I am using tiny core linux inside the VM, which is so small that it actually just boots in seconds, and you can just power it off, it does not write anything to the hard disk, unless you are using some apps that might need it. And after startup it startight way initiates a remote desktop to my host, and voila I have two different windows 7 sessions on multiple monitors at the same time.

If you need any help, let me know.
This is very good. I've never used VMware, only windows virtual pc, which usually consumes a lot of resources. How is the processor usage of the virtual machine process?
On my machine I saw about 6-7% at the most when running xubuntu-64 in the vm. But I was only using the vm to remote back into the host on a different user session.
Hey.

Nice writeup. I have also given it some thought on how to use xbmc to the max with a non-dedicated desktop with a LCDTV as the secondary display.

The question I have is - what happens in your setup when you turn off the tv? Thats the bigest quirk I have with my setup at the moment, as this means win7 will move XBMC from the secondary display to the main.
Yes that is a problem if you tv is connected with hdmi. when i had that i would minimize xbmc or stop it. But now i have moved onto using a dvi to hdmi to connect my tv, and then windows 7 does not move the xbmc windows to the other monitor after the tv is switched off.
i was wondering who i would do this with the concurrent session of windows 7

I dont use linux. So ideally i would want to stay with windows 7.

Basically i want to be able to run xbmc full screen on lcd in other room and then use pc monitor for normal pc tasks and gaming at the same time.

Possible?
My vmware player does not have the options below:
1. Disable "Automatically connect USB devices"
2. Enable "Show all USB input devices"
They are greyed out. However, I want vmware to detect my second keyboard as usb device so I can use the usb keyboard for the virtual os only. So, another can use another (non-usb) keyboard for the host making it (hopefully) possible that 2 users at the same time can use the same computer - one user working on the host, the other on the virtual OS. Do you know any solutions to my problems or is there an older vmware player version I can download where I still have the options mentioned before (1. Disable "Automatically connect USB devices"
2. Enable "Show all USB input devices").

I would be very grateful if you could help out. I am student sharing one computer with 3 friends, so you know how important it is for us if at least two of us could use the computer at the same time. Thank you.Smile
Try this in your config file...

usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"
Nevermind, I just re-read your post.

Thank you for the info this is what I was looking for.
I know that's a very old thread, but I've had that HDMI-window-moving thing, too...

I just wanted to say that there's a fairly simple "solution" for that:

as you can see in this picture, there's a pin (19) that's responsible for hot plugging detection
-> take a small strip of isolating tape and cover that pin

after a reboot your tv should be recognized as before, but no more annoying window-moving when you turn it off anymore =)
Are you running XBMC inside VMware?
nope... I don't even see the reason why I should do that^^

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dual monitor with independent os sessions0