[GUIDE] Acer Revo R3700 - XBMC Live Dharma
Having hit many issues regarding the R3700 in terms of audio, even nvidia drivers needing updating so things ran smoothly. I've decided to put it all together, so other members don't have to go through the painful process that i have.

Credit to myrison and ngiardina, i've cannibalized both your threads for when configuring the R3600 / R3610 in order to make this one.

This guide is based on using a bootable USB stick in order to install XBMC Live.

STEP 1 - REQUIRED DOWNLOADS

Download and Install WINSCP
here.

Download and Install unetbootin
here.

Download and Install HP Format Tool
here.

Download Latest XBMC Freak
here.

STEP 2 - FORMAT USB DRIVE

Open HP USB format tool, select to format the USB drive being used for the installation

Note: Do not use "Quck Format"

Note: Use FAT32

STEP 3 - PREP USB DRIVE

Once the USB drive has been formatted, you need to use unetbootin to make the bootable installation.

Open unetbootin

Select "Diskimage" and the XBMCLive ISO you have downloaded.

Select the USB drive being used for the installation and click "OK"

STEP 4 - XBMC INSTALLATION

Remove the USB drive used for the installation and place within one of the ports of the Acer Revo (Rear ports are preferred, as i presume they provide more power to any connected USB device)

When Acer splash screen displays, hit "DEL" to enter the BIOS setup.

Select "Advanced bios features" - setting the Acer Revo to boot from the USB drive first.

Save changes and exit the BIOS.

The Acer Revo should now boot from the USB stick and present you with some options, select the following option:

"Install XBMCLive"

Follow the prompts and when asked, select to use the entire drive for the installation (Do not use LVM).

Let the installation complete, following the prompts.

Once installation has complete, enter the BIOS once again and set the HDD as the first boot device.

Your Acer Revo should now boot into XBMC

STEP 5 - CONFIGURATION

Once XBMC has loaded, select the "Settings" options.

Goto Video and Playback and enable the following options:

Render Method: Audo Detect
Allow Hardware Acceleration (VDPAU): Enable
Adjust display refresh rate to match video: Enable
Sync playback to display: Enable
VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion: Enable
A/V Sync Method: Video Clock, Drop/Dupe audio

Goto Audio Output settings and ebale the following options (This is purely based on my setup, change speaker configuration and receiver options in line with your own)

Audio Output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Boost Volumn Level On Downmix: Enable
Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable Receiver: Enable
DTS Capable Receiver: Enable
Audio Output Device: HDA NVIDIA HDMI
Passthrough Output Device: HDA NVIDIA HDMI

STEP 6 - LOG INTO THE REVO VIA PUTTY

Goto your PC and execute the previously installed WinSCP, using the IP address of the Acer Revo and username and password configured at installation. Log into the Revo.

Once loaded, select the following menu path to launch putty:

Commands > Open In Putty

At this stage you'll be asked once again for the password.

STEP 7 - UPDATE NVIDIA DRIVERS

Download the latest Nvidia drivers by performing the following command:
Code:
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.29/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.29.run

Kill x display by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo pkill x
It will ask for your password, enter it, and press enter.

Remove existing Nvidia drivers by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*.

Kill x display by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo pkill x
It will ask for your password, enter it, and press enter.

Install the new nvidia drivers by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.29.run
The nvidia installer will start, make sure to say yes to creating a new configuration file.

STEP 8 - DISPLAY SETTINGS - 1080p / 23.97hz

Update the display settings by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=6K3XjdUS -O /etc/X11/xorg.conf

STEP 9 - AUDIO SETTINGS

Update the audio settings (This will fix menu / audio issues which the 3700 has experienced for many):

Perform the following command:
Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=ApvUwtUX -O /etc/asound.conf

Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

STEP 10 - PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT

Using an additional setting can increase the performance when viewing fanart:

Code:
nano /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

A text editor will be shown.

By adding another line, you'll want the file to look like this (The <useddfanart> line has to be added).

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
</network>
    <gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

Select CTRL + X and follow the prompts to exit and save the changes

STEP 11 - REBOOT - YOUR DONE

Code:
sudo reboot now

The Acer Revo should now reboot, fully configured to work with XBMC Live.

Any other stuff like skins and choosing your power saving settings - i'll leave upto you to look through the settings area.. As that's simple enough.

Cheers!
Is the Howto working on an Revo 3610?

BR Robert
the menu sounds work but audio doesn't work for bluray x264 .mkv files
ok, i fixed this by unchecking DTS capable receiver in "Audio Output - System Settings". (Since I only have the Revo hooked up to a TV and not a receiver.)
Firstly many thank for creating such a quick / easy to follow guide.

Couple of questions from a new user to XBMC.

STEP 8 : What happens if we're using a 720p display?
STEP 10 : I'm not using the distro you suggested but instead the default LIVE one from this site. This file didn't exist (from step 10), is the reason due to the different distro ?

Finally I can't seem to get Audio to work in the menus either.
cybrey Wrote:STEP 10 : I'm not using the distro you suggested but instead the default LIVE one from this site. This file didn't exist (from step 10), is the reason due to the different distro ?

nano /home/<The Username you chose when you installed>/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Edit:

Does anyone now how to install the wire-less drivers and connect to a wireless WPA2 device.
Thanks In Advance
Krayons Wrote:nano /home/<The Username you chose when you installed>/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Edit:

Does anyone now how to install the wire-less drivers and connect to a wireless WPA2 device.
Thanks In Advance

sudo apt-get install wicd-curses

then

wicd-curses

should let you configure the wireless.

I followed this guide, and while it fixed up my issues with getting a 720p resolution available, I still have no sound. I've checked in the Audio Mixer and Alsamixer and nothing is muted, but I have no sound being output thru HDMI - even tried analog and that didn't work either. Any suggestions ? I have output set to HDMI and have tried every option available, starting with Nvidia HDA HDMI, but nothing worked.
Cuahtemoc Wrote:sudo apt-get install wicd-curses

then

wicd-curses

should let you configure the wireless.

I followed this guide, and while it fixed up my issues with getting a 720p resolution available, I still have no sound...

Thanks

Sound was not working for me.
I had to disable
Speaker Configuration: 5.1 -> 2
Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable Receiver: Enable -> disable
DTS Capable Receiver: Enable -> disable

also make sure you do

sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=ApvUwtUX -O /etc/asound.conf

and

sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

For some reason I seemed to of missed the second one but now my sound is working 100s

Edit:

To get the wireless to work

sudo su
mkdir -p /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/
touch /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat
reboot now

Will get it up and running

But I am still having trouble to connect
Great guide but does anyone know how to get optical output working on the R3700?

My tv won't do 5.1 passthrough via hdmi, only 2.0, so the only way for me is optical straight into my amp.

I've tried adjusting the settings in System - Audio Out and checked in alsamixer that S/PDIF isn't muted but beyond that I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

Edit: BTW I'm using the official XBMC Dharma release not the XBMCFreak one. I'm hoping to solve this without having to do a whole re-install.
First off, great guide.

Video worked great, however no audio. Receive "Failed to initialize audio device" when playing anything. Sad

Acer Revo R3610

had it working yesterday too. I will probably have to revert to previous dharma build instead of xbmcfreak.

Also cannot use remote to disable subtitles. Normally you hit the MCE button to bring up the onscreen display then hit the audio icon then scroll down and disable it. Cant navigate in that menu at all for some reason, in either build. Weird. using standard mce remote.

out of curiosity, why are subtitles enabled by default i wonder?

D
The guide worked well, I have been having trouble getting my Revo set up as well 10.

My issue is wireless speed, I had no issued with 9.11, but now since i've upgraded my system wireless speed is erratic. over ssh I can transfer files and the speed will jump from 500kb/s down to 1,000byte/s. Terrible flux. Which is preventing me from updating my library, as the connection timesout, and for the shows that i manually select they buffer every minute constantly, this is SD content Im talking about too.

I have WICD installed and that has been the best wireless result as I always am connected to the network when xbmc turns on, I just have such terrible speed issues.

WICD-CURSES says connected at 94%.

Am I the only one whose having this problem?
i used thi guide to install inside a zotac atom 33 / ion
all work fine but if i enable VDPAU i cannot play h264 videos... any idea?
well, without a debug log or other information, it may be that you broke the nvidia drivers and/or vdpau.

1) the preferred installation of newest nvidia drivers still is via x-swat repository
2) make sure your system has the libvdpau1 library installed
3) provide a debug log

add.: all these guides are nice and swell, but when the standard live system is installed, please test it thoroughly before doing any more modifications!
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I have followed this guide, however after rebooting my revo doesn't boot into xmbc. Instead, after putting in my login details it justs stays on a command line. Everything else seemed to go fine until the last stage where i reboot. Anyone got any ideas how to fix this? Thanks in advance
rambo181: installing the video drivers one more time fixed it for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[GUIDE] Acer Revo R3700 - XBMC Live Dharma0