ATI VS Nvidia Real world use
Question 
Ok, so I understand that Nvidia has rock-solid DXVA decoding which makes the 430 look like a nice unit with its ability to do HD audio out to my HT setup... I have also seen that the Radeon 55XX, 57XX is considered to have much better video output. We know ATI has DXVA issues (my HD3200 sure does).

So the question becomes with a slightly older Intel Quadcore running at 2.66 I really don't need DXVA? And what are the real world differnces for users that may have used both cards? I rather not go out to worst buy and buy two cards retail to figure this out.

I would love to get real person visual review - if possible as non-biased as possible.

Thanks
kermyb123 Wrote:So the question becomes with a slightly older Intel Quadcore running at 2.66 I really don't need DXVA?

That is right.

Quote:And what are the real world differnces for users that may have used both cards?

Nvidia (as of today)
+More robust decoding (out of my 1000+ HD movies only Nvidia and CPUs play them all)
+True 3D support with HDMI 1.4 in GT430
+Much Better Linux Support

AMD
+Better at decoding user created content - such as HD semi-pro movies
+Better overscan options within control panel (I think) for non 1080p TVs
+Better attitude towards open source

Honestly both in Windows are pretty similar to each other. I am not gonna lie, I love Nvidia, but as you can see I didn't list a big set of picture quality differences between the two. That is because there aren't any. There is a bigger differences in the quality of decoding software available than PQ differences between the two.

The picture difference between Core AVC, madVR and FFMPEG is WAAAAAY bigger than PQ differences between the cards. I think that often AMD has a price advantage, but I also think the GT430 is the best HTPC card on the planet (for being 3D futureproof). Either way you are fine in Windows.

Thanks.

My two year old HTPC:
Intel Q6600
1GB DDR2
GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R
HD3650 Video
30 GB OCZ SSD

I'm just not really happy with my HD3650 due to some issues. The computer was overkill and still is IHO, The HD3650 just seems to have too many issues in terms of HDMI handshake and audio out.

I built a small MiniITX unit a few months ago just for a desktop which has a 9300 built into it, I have to say that the video quality (in XBMC) was more impressive with the Nvidia 9300 based system in conjunction to my Optoma projector. Unfortunatly, it doesnt pass all the audio I would like and I really need it for household use anyhow.

So right now I'm really thinking about buying a one-way ticket on to the Nvidia train, I was just concerned about some of the issues I have seen pointed out on pulldown (not an issue) and some other problems which could be an issue.
kermyb123 Wrote:My two year old HTPC:
Intel Q6600
1GB DDR2
GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R
HD3650 Video
30 GB OCZ SSD

Nice system. I have a Q6600 in my main HTPC with a 30GB Vertex SSD and Gigabyte mobo. I also have the non-C version of your mobo in one of my Unraid servers! Good stuff.

For my main system I am using the fanless Zotac GT430. The CPU can easily handle decoding functions but then I don't get Nvidia's basic color correction, plus I use that system for downloading. Well and I have a 3D TV.

Honestly though I just watch half SBS 3D content mostly on the TV, which almost any recent AMD or Nvidia GPU can do. But I like how that card can actually handle all the different HD audio, which was the real sticking point AMD had over Nvidia for a long time.

I assume your using:
ZOTAC ZT-40601-20L

I was just looking at cards, my HTPC sits in a small equiptment rack just outside of my viewing room so I need to decide if fanless is needed considering. My 3650 was fanless, however the HTPC sat under my Samsung TV then.

This all starting after I installed the new ATI CCC and drivers lastnight and got a BSOD.

I'm just trying to fine-tune at this point and stop messing around with hardware, I am very pleased with my system (I do need to see about bios tweaks to speed that up) using a stripped version of 7 I have boot times around 25 sec. I'm hoping the 430 will be my last upgrade for a while.
nvidia VS ATI for HTPC nothing at the top end. at lower price ranges you have to look at the cards. older ATI cards support bit streaming but don't support 3D Nvidia only some of the cards support bit streaming and all 400 class support 3D i believe. performance between the 2 is little to nothing. just buy on features you need.

i personally use a GTX 465 but i play a lot of games on my TV and i have 3D vision working on my TV the only feature i wish that card supported is bit streaming. when playing MKVs at 1080p video and TrueHD audio my CPU load is around 5% with out Video acceleration my cpu load is 80% to 100%

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATI VS Nvidia Real world use0