Playback Failed
Noob at XBMC, but am loving it so far.

I worked through the steps at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=netflix and got Netflix running in iewrap.exe.

So I thought I would start adding other add-ons.

Added YouTube. Set it up properly with username/password and when I browse it is definitely my stuff.

But using YouTube when I select a video to watch I get the "Playback Failed" dialog box.

When I did the steps in the Netflix post above I added the advancedsettings.xml and playercorefactory.xml files to the %APPDATA%\Roaming\XBMC\userdata because they were not there.

Like I said, the Netflix part is working.

Here is my advancedsettings.xml

Quote:<advancedsettings>
<videoextensions>
<add>.html</add>
</videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

And this is my playercorefactory.xml

Quote:<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="IE" type="ExternalPlayer">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\iewrap.exe</filename>
<args> "{1}"</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>

<rules action="prepend">
<rule name="html" filetypes="html" player="IE" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

As I said, these are in my %APPDATA%\Roaming\XBMC\userdata folder. Should they be somewhere else? Should other copies in the C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC folder be deleted?
So as I am getting my feet wet with this I am getting the same Playback Failed message when trying to play any audio or video file from even my local network or PC.
If you turn on debug logging (System settings, System, Debugging) the log will show what it failing. To open the log press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log

and click OK. Pop the log on pastebin.com and post a link to it here and we'll have a look.

JR
Late last night I ran across http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg...build.html and thought I would check it out.

I am still just tooling around with XBMC so I figured what the heck since it is not on my HTPC yet. I knew I should uninstall my current install of XBMC but thought what the heck, let's just do it - hey I was tired. Smile

Did that and voila it is all good now. NetFlix works, HuluDesktop via the Programs plugin works, all is good.

There were several added options for PVR and that was my next task - to figure out watching OTA broadcasts and being to record/playback.

As I was looking through the PVR clients supported I found MediaPortal so though I would check it out - seems the PVR functionality in XBMC requires you to have a separate PVR server and XBMC is just a PVR client (correct me if I am wrong).

Looking at MediaPortal it seems it is a "competitor" to XBMC so I downloaded and plan to play with it today.

Anyone ever look at MediaPortal? I love the XBMC interface, but the need to be XML savvy is too much for me. I am pretty technical, but am an Infrastructure guy - ask me to put together a complex network and I am all over it - but programming is just not my cup-of-tea. Smile
a fresh install of XBMC Eden Beta 2 on a new build PC, youtube is not working properly either.

On rare occasions it seems to work, then even playing back the same file it will not play with the same Playback Failed message

Here is my pastebin

http://pastebin.com/Z36GEFUn

any ideas please?
seems to be an eden problem, i just updated from darma to eden beta 2, now i get the same error message.
I get the same issue with Eden Beta 2. It was working fine a couple of days ago and it's just started playing up.
I thought it might have been corrupted when I added the vimeo plugin.
I've just blown away my .xbmc settings and the Youtube plugin can display my subscriptions fine, but Playback fails everytime.

The error in the log is: 10:43:13 T:3030383472 INFO: Scriptresult: Success
10:43:13 T:6559680 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogKaiToast.xml) ------
10:43:13 T:6559680 DEBUG: Alloc resources: 0.02ms (0.02 ms skin load)
10:43:13 T:3030383472 INFO: Python script stopped
10:43:13 T:3030383472 DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread 3030383472 terminating
10:43:13 T:6559680 DEBUG: waiting for python thread 6 to stop
10:43:13 T:6559680 DEBUG: python thread 6 destructed
10:43:13 T:6559680 DEBUG: WaitOnScriptResult - plugin exited prematurely - terminating
10:43:13 T:6559680 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?path=/root/video&action=play_video&videoid=VMWdz9M8W_A]
10:43:13 T:6559680 DEBUG: Playlist Player: one or more items failed to play... aborting playback
HenrikDK has confirmed the problems with a change on youtubes side it seems

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=100...count=1830

Hopefully all will be fixed soon......damn youtube and their stupid ads obsession Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback Failed0