• 2(current)
Recommended Hardware - Please Advise
bmcclure937 Wrote:My main concern was whether or not the gt4xx would support that functionality under Linux when I run XBMC Live Wink

It does not currently, but unlike GT2xx series GPUs it is a guarantee it will work one day.

By bumping up from a ION2 to a GT430 you get:

1. True 3D support (one day)
2. Guaranteed Bitsreaming in Windows (and Linux one day)

So basically with XBMC Live Dharma there is nothing better about a GT4xx setup, but in the future it will be way better.

bmcclure937 Wrote:The only thing I am concerned about with a custom system is the noise compared to an ASRock or other pre-built setup...

You can avoid noise in a custom box, you just have to build it right.

We are here to help you do that when you are ready. Maybe by then the Bitstreaming stuff will be worked out some.

bmcclure937 Wrote:
gstreet Wrote:
poofyhairguy Wrote:... Honestly though if I was you I would be building a HTPC based on a GT430 instead.

In fact, as an owner of a 3D TV, that is what I did...

assuming you start building from a gt430, the rest is basically all about how you want your HTPC to look?

What hardware did u use other than gt430?

pis

This is the tentative parts list I quickly came up with last night when I started scoping out parts on Newegg for a custom build. My wish list is at this LINK Cool

dont have newegg account, im from .eu, printscreen?Rolleyes
poofyhairguy Wrote:It does not currently, but unlike GT2xx series GPUs it is a guarantee it will work one day.

By bumping up from a ION2 to a GT430 you get:

1. True 3D support (one day)
2. Guaranteed Bitsreaming in Windows (and Linux one day)

So basically with XBMC Live Dharma there is nothing better about a GT4xx setup, but in the future it will be way better.

Very true. It makes sense to spend a little bit extra up front because the resulting XBMC HTPC will (a) last longer and (b) offer better functionality down the road.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the expert opinion! Have you had a chance to check out my Newegg Wish List? What did you think of my choices? Oo

I am especially curious whether the Intel i3 I have selected is necessary. It is not too expensive ($114)... and I think it would make the box future-proof. I could probably settle for a less expensive CPU/mobo combo but do not think the money saved would be worth the performance lost...

poofyhairguy Wrote:You can avoid noise in a custom box, you just have to build it right.

We are here to help you do that when you are ready. Maybe by then the Bitstreaming stuff will be worked out some.

Awesome!! Once again, I truly appreciate it. Your help is amazing. Do the cases I am looking into seem good for a HTPC build? (quiet, compact, aesthetics would be good for display) Wink

What other tips do you have for sound-proofing besides rubber screw grommets? (I would like to use passive cooling, SSD, etc.) I am all ears and anxious to hear your tips!

gstreet Wrote:dont have newegg account, im from .eu, printscreen?Rolleyes

Check out the screengrabs.

http://twitpic.com/3k44ab/full

http://twitpic.com/3k44dd/full
poofyhairguy Wrote:One thing you have not mentioned is budget. If you want to get the guaranteed best HTPC on the planet that does everything you want, get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as..._-56158018

Reason why is because it has a HDMI 1.4 3D capable GPU. Now XBMC isn't fully 3D capable yet, but with that Asrock and the DS Player version of XBMC on Windows you should be able to bitstream DTS-HD today to your receiver. Also when XBMC DOES become fully 3D capable, you will be supported. Note that system is barebones, so it also needs a SSD and some RAM like most ION systems. If you want for like $200 more they sell the complete model. Beats the pants literally off a Mac Mini.

If you need it to cost less than that, you might consider building one.

@poofy, I like the simplicity of a ready to go machine. Assuming I take your advice and purchase this ASRock, which wireless keyboard/mouse would you recommend for it when not using a remote within XBMC? I'm planning on doing a dual boot Win 7 Ultimate / XBMC Live install. Would you still recommend the Harmony One for an XBMC remote, or do you think the one ASRock bundles with this will suffice?

Couple other questions - do you think the i5 is just gonna use more power/make more heat (and cost more), or do you see it adding some value, such as when gaming, or ripping/writing BDs?

Also, I haven't had any luck finding these machines truly bare-bones (i.e., no HDD, no RAM), which kinda bums me out since I was interested in doing a SSD, rather than the 500GB 7200RPM that ships with it.

I have an 8TB XenServer in my basement that has, among other things, a couple good size media server shares, so I don't need much local storage (just enough to dual boot). That being said, do you have any SSDs in mind that you might recommend pairing with this ASRock?

Finally, are there any RF/Bluetooth remotes that don't require line of site to communicate with XBMC? I like to keep my components in a closet on the other side of the wall on which my display sits.

Sorry for the deluge of questions, I've been "studying" the forums (your posts especially) for a couple months and believe I am finally ready to replace the xbox (v1) I modded 8 or so years ago... Eek
chintzboy Wrote:Would you still recommend the Harmony One for an XBMC remote, or do you think the one ASRock bundles with this will suffice?

Depends on:

Are you just using it? Default remote is fine then.

Are you expecting someone else (especially someone who is tech clueless) to use it? Harmony Harmony Harmony.

Quote:Couple other questions - do you think the i5 is just gonna use more power/make more heat (and cost more), or do you see it adding some value, such as when gaming, or ripping/writing BDs?

The only places I see an i5 having value is if you want software interpolation or if you are using the box to transcode to another device (aka one of my HTPCs runs Air Video for my iPhone). Otherwise no, an i3 does everything with WAY less heat.

Quote:Also, I haven't had any luck finding these machines truly bare-bones (i.e., no HDD, no RAM), which kinda bums me out since I was interested in doing a SSD, rather than the 500GB 7200RPM that ships with it.

Kinda a bummer, but you can always but that drive in something else.

Quote: That being said, do you have any SSDs in mind that you might recommend pairing with this ASRock?

I only buy OCZ SSDs. Their Vertex line is my go-to.

Quote:Finally, are there any RF/Bluetooth remotes that don't require line of site to communicate with XBMC?

All the ones I have tried suck. Honestly it is better to get one of those USB HP IR receivers with a REALLY long cord and sneak that on the TV side.

Quote:Sorry for the deluge of questions, I've been "studying" the forums (your posts especially) for a couple months and believe I am finally ready to replace the xbox (v1) I modded 8 or so years ago... Eek

Start your own thread and I would love to help more.

Quote:I am especially curious whether the Intel i3 I have selected is necessary.

As a rule an i3 is the best small space CPU on the planet.

I love that case. I love the Gigabyte mobos (either is fine) I love the GT430s (either is fine). Also I love Earthwatts PSUs.

Only thing I dislike in the build is the SSDs. Their firmware doesn't have the same features OCZs have.

Like instead, I prefer this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

poofyhairguy Wrote:Only thing I dislike in the build is the SSDs. Their firmware doesn't have the same features OCZs have.

Like instead, I prefer this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Any reason not to consider this OCZ SSD for $5 more?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820227550
Oh yeah, get that one instead. Got my links mixed.

And not to *completely* hijack this thread, but which Logitech Harmony are you using? The Harmony One or one of the fancier ones, like the 1100?
chintzboy Wrote:And not to *completely* hijack this thread, but which Logitech Harmony are you using? The Harmony One or one of the fancier ones, like the 1100?

The misses ordered me a 1100 for Xmas (even though they might not ship it GRRRRR), but all year I have used the simple Harmony 600!

A harmony is a harmony, just get one that will allow you to use all your devices (where my 600 eventually failed me).

Awesome! Glad this thread could help some others as well and I greatly appreciate the feedback on my parts list... I will make the change to my SSD choice! Maybe I will keep an eye out for some SlickDeals on those as well... Wink

Any reason I would need the 60Gb Vertex as opposed to a smaller capacity. I was really wanting to keep the cost of the SSD at about $80. Not sure if I need all that extra space!
Realistically, I will not be purchasing components for my build until March or April. By then, I am hoping I can find awesome deals on the current configuration I have saved on NewEgg... but there may also be improved hardware I may want to take into consideration.

I am planning to upgrade my FreeNAS sooner (to expand storage and possibly add more processing power -- because I am looking to use SABnzbd, SickBeard, and CouchPotato!!).

Thank you to everyone who has provided recommendations! I will surely check back when I am looking to actually build my HTPC. I was originally planning to purchase my parts next week and build the HTPC but I am going to be moving in April/May for work and would rather wait and have it ready for my new location.
My updated build components:

1. Case - Antec NSK2480 (EarthWatts 380 included)
  2. GPU - ASUS GT430
  3. CPU - Intel Core-i3 540
  4. MoBo - Gigabyte GA-H55-M
  5. RAM - Corsair XMS3 2x2Gb DDR3
  6. SSD - Corsair Nova 32Gb

Please let me know what you think. I was hoping to keep the cost at around $400, but it looks like the cost will end up being about $500. I know that there are better SSDs (like OCZ)... but I only need 32Gb and the Corsair has good reviews, lower price, and will at least perform better than standard hard drives! Nerd

(poofyhairguy - what say you?!)
bmcclure937 Wrote:I was hoping to keep the cost at around $400, but it looks like the cost will end up being about $500.

That happens.

Really great HTPC build. I couldn't recommend anything different or better.

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended Hardware - Please Advise0