• 4(current)
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV?
I installed the new image on a 4gig USB flash drive ( it took one hour from OSX using dd). The network works fine, but in System I could only edit Video and nothing else. I couldn't tell it to use HDMI for audio since I couldn't get down to the audio setting. I then rebooted the Linux-XBMC system and I am at a prompt for some reason. I guess I should ssh in? I did as atv. I wasn't able to as xbmc since I didn't know the passwd.

Can I pair the remote? The system is quite snappy and I did play a 720p file quite nicely ( without sound). I don't have any 1024p files other than test files so I can't test those. Also I am streaming everything.

philip

Edit: Pairing works great. You hold down menu+right arrow ( ff) on the remote for 5 secs or so and a notification lisps up. I did this at the XBMC home screen.

Edit: I did make the change to eth1 from eth0. Odd. Can we use component video with this image? That would be my preference. Right now I am on hdmi.
I believe it is HDMI only.
jotate Wrote:I believe it is HDMI only.

Hmm ... then I wonder why I am not getting any sound. I was finally able to get to the audio settings. It was just a matter of waiting. In that preference window the response to the remote is slow to go from video to audio. Anyway I just removed hdmi and hooked up component so we will see.

philip

Edit:1- No video using component. Oh well. But I am now getting audio over hdmi after using the plughw:0,3 setting Sam's description for getting audio. Should get used to reading instructions. It's all pretty neat. Playback stutters for 1 second when starting and then it's perfect. The 1 second seems to be related to the way it streams over smb. Just subjective.

2- If I select reboot from the XBMC home screen then I always get to a Linux prompt. If I ssh in and then reboot that way it goes into XBMC. At the prompt is there a way of launching XBMC? Ideally you would be able to reboot from the Home XBMC screen and come back there. Memory and cpu usage are far lower than under OSX.
I've downloaded the image but I'm getting the failed to resolve host then left at command prompt so I tried to follow the instructions here by using a USB hub & keyboard but when I plug in the hub along with USB flash drive it will not boot into linux but boots into ATV OSX.

Am I doing something wrong or does the ATV only works with certain USB hubs ?
Starstream Wrote:I've downloaded the image but I'm getting the failed to resolve host then left at command prompt so I tried to follow the instructions here by using a USB hub & keyboard but when I plug in the hub along with USB flash drive it will not boot into linux but boots into ATV OSX.

Am I doing something wrong or does the ATV only works with certain USB hubs ?

There's a bug with the currently released image which you need to fix prior to booting it up on your AppleTV. This only needs to be done once, until a fixed image is released.

Ignore the USB hub, you have no need for it or a keyboard once you fix the bug, and from the sounds of it, when you're using the USB hub it isn't booting from the USB stick, hence the original OSX OS booting.

Anyway, to fix the bug, jump onto a linux box (if you don't have one, download the latest Ubuntu LiveCD, burn to a blank CD and boot straight from the CD), plug in the USB stick you've copied the image to, and, many thanks to jagabongo for finding out the resolution:

edit the /etc/network/interfaces file on the third partition (should contain the Ubuntu linux filesystem on an ext3 partition) and change the two references of "eth0" to "eth1".

Save the file, boot your AppleTV from the USB stick, and you should be all good. Give it a good 10+ minutes depending on your internet speed as it needs to download XBMC as well as all the data and other software dependencies on first boot.

Heaps easy as, right? Big Grin
Thanks for the info fistacorpse I will try that out.

Update: Yes that worked now in business, thanks.
Awesome, good to hear! Smile

I played around with the build and have it running on a USB stick and I was pretty impressed with the speed (from USB) and the additional functionality Sam has thrown in there.

I just gotta get round to migrating my ATV userdata (dbs, addons and themes) to the new version but considering I spent the last 12 hours reinstalling after my system was corrupted trying to fix the Microsoft SAMBA issue caused by their Single-Sign-On / Live 2011 update *sigh*

So much to do, so little time. And to think, this is how I spend my public holidays Tongue
First things first guys,

I messed up. Again. Sorry. People will remember when pin87a had network issues with his image in the summer. It seems like a rinse and repeat.

I'm currently setting up a new pc, and once I've done that, I can get going with the hypervisor again and build a new USB image as well as core partitions (Root.img.gz, Recovery.img.gz, Swap.img.gz) for the IDE installer. As for the installer, it consists of two parts:

1. a UI interface for Windows.
2. a Linux disk image that wgets and dds the partitions after running some parted commands. This was originally to be done in as a patchstick.sh in atv-bootloader, but it turns out atv-bootloader cannot meet the demands of the script due to a few issues. Therefore I am having to take longer to run a tailored Ubuntu image that has a FAT32 partition so that payloads can be injected into it via the C++ fullfat library.

Just thought I would update you on that.

XBMC is installed under root because the installation is ran from the root user's context (rc.local)

pmcd Wrote:Edit:1- No video using component. Oh well. But I am now getting audio over hdmi after using the plughw:0,3 setting Sam's description for getting audio. Should get used to reading instructions. It's all pretty neat. Playback stutters for 1 second when starting and then it's perfect. The 1 second seems to be related to the way it streams over smb. Just subjective.

2- If I select reboot from the XBMC home screen then I always get to a Linux prompt. If I ssh in and then reboot that way it goes into XBMC. At the prompt is there a way of launching XBMC? Ideally you would be able to reboot from the Home XBMC screen and come back there. Memory and cpu usage are far lower than under OSX.

Yeah you can reinitialise XBMC, I didn't put it in for a specific reason, but I explained how to achieve it on the wiki.

1. You must edit your xorg.conf. See the FAQ.
Thanks for all your time and effort Sam.

Can you provide some information on what the Windows UI interface is, just out of my own curiosity?

As far as the system goes, the version you released (minus the minor flaws) seemed very good performance and feature wise - any plans to improve on this?
I was talking about the Windows UI installer. Yes, I will probably improve the image at a later date (push out an update)
hi,

I know a fix is coming, but I will still describe my endeavors.
I mounted the disk (external harddisk) in OS X using fuse-ext, and changed the interfaces file to say eth1.
Then booting the disk on my Appletv I felt like the king of the earth, as it worked!
Then I proceeded to crash XBMC trying to mount my time capsule using samba. As if this does not suck enough, after rebooting the AppleTV the network didn't work anymore, with, if I've seen it scroll past correctly, an error about the interfaces file missing.

The two things that I would like to know are:
1. will this interfaces file missing problem be fixed? I don't understand what's happening there, and it does not at all seem to be related to the wrong eth being set in there.
2. why is samba and the autoconf stuff breaking so hard in XBMC, it works like a charm in Boxee on the same hardware...
fistacorpse Wrote:There's a bug with the currently released image which you need to fix prior to booting it up on your AppleTV. This only needs to be done once, until a fixed image is released.

Ignore the USB hub, you have no need for it or a keyboard once you fix the bug, and from the sounds of it, when you're using the USB hub it isn't booting from the USB stick, hence the original OSX OS booting.

Anyway, to fix the bug, jump onto a linux box (if you don't have one, download the latest Ubuntu LiveCD, burn to a blank CD and boot straight from the CD), plug in the USB stick you've copied the image to, and, many thanks to jagabongo for finding out the resolution:

edit the /etc/network/interfaces file on the third partition (should contain the Ubuntu linux filesystem on an ext3 partition) and change the two references of "eth0" to "eth1".

Save the file, boot your AppleTV from the USB stick, and you should be all good. Give it a good 10+ minutes depending on your internet speed as it needs to download XBMC as well as all the data and other software dependencies on first boot.

Heaps easy as, right? Big Grin

I followed the intructions above but I couldn't edit the interfaces files. I opened the permission and it said "you are not the owner, so you can't edit the file" something similar like that. :confused2:
Any idea how to change the permission ? (i'm a noob so please help me)

Thanks Sam for all your time and effort making the image Big Grin
sudo or chown
Or login into Linux as root user.
feikenberg Wrote:Or login into Linux as root user.

i.e. sudo Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV?0