• 5(current)
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV?
For some odd reason I can't smb to my Mac Mini. I can smb to a WHS box just fine and to most of my NAS devices. Any tips for getting smb to a Mac working? I have never had this problem before.

Philip

Edit: is there any hope for getting this to work with component video?
Thanks Sam and feikenbeg for the advice. Keep up the good work Big Grin

Danh

Update: I got everything up and running. Youtube hd videos work flawlessly. Again thanks for all the help
pmcd Wrote:For some odd reason I can't smb to my Mac Mini. I can smb to a WHS box just fine and to most of my NAS devices. Any tips for getting smb to a Mac working? I have never had this problem before.

Philip

Edit: is there any hope for getting this to work with component video?

See the FAQ for component video. It works.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:See the FAQ for component video. It works.

Yay! That's all I need to know!
When will you have a release version available? (Or is the answer to that "when it's ready, now shut up"?)

Bear in mind it's my birthday on Wednesday. Smile
defiler Wrote:Yay! That's all I need to know!
When will you have a release version available? (Or is the answer to that "when it's ready, now shut up"?)

Bear in mind it's my birthday on Wednesday. Smile

When I fixed some issues.

Important: I need someone who has this image running with network connectivity who is willing to try something out to PM me. I changed /etc/network/interfaces so that references to eth0 became eth1 and lost all network connectivity. I believe that the network-manager package is better. If anyone doesn't mind trying out a few specific instructions and seeing if networking still works, it would be strongly appreciated, as it would accelerate the development process.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:When I fixed some issues.

Important: I need someone who has this image running with network connectivity who is willing to try something out to PM me.[...]

Fair enough I'd rather have it right than right now so just whenever you've got it done.

Don't have the beta image, so not much point in me offering to help there. And with little kids I don't have much experimenting time (you should see their little faces if I accidentally turn off Balamory....)
Guys, what is the root pass for the image? XBMC runs as root, but i can only login as atv/atv. Thr xbmc/xbmc combo or root/xbmc doesn't work. Thanks

BTW, changing eth1 to eth0 totally worked for me.
HTPC: XBMC Gotham 15.2 on Intel NUC DCCP847DYE (Intel Celeron 847), 2GB RAM, Samsung PM830 SSD, OpenELEC 6.0.0
SYSTEM: Panasonic TX-P65ST50, Pioneer VSX-922K, Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 + Diamond 9.CS + SW150 sub, Logitech Harmony 880 remote
It's Ubuntu. You don't login as root. You use sudo for elevated privileges. atv:atv is the only user/pass combo you need to know.

And it doesn't work for me. Running dhclient eth1 tells me that there is no device on eth1, which makes sense, seeing as there is not two NICs in the aTV.
As someone that doesn't know the particular issue that's causing problems, would there not be merit in scripting a list of all eth devices (ifconfig piped to grep, or some quick perl regexp would do in a pinch) and then configure them all to DHCP?

I don't know - it's pretty ugly, but why shouldnt' it work? Bear in mind that I'm drunk, and so all consultancy is non-chargeable, but probably inaccurate. Big Grin
defiler Wrote:I don't know - it's pretty ugly, but why shouldnt' it work? Bear in mind that I'm drunk, and so all consultancy is non-chargeable, but probably inaccurate. Big Grin

It's between 3pm and 6pm in the United states? How early do you start drinking? LOL
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:It's Ubuntu. You don't login as root. You use sudo for elevated privileges. atv:atv is the only user/pass combo you need to know.

And it doesn't work for me. Running dhclient eth1 tells me that there is no device on eth1, which makes sense, seeing as there is not two NICs in the aTV.

Hey Sam, I made an account to post thisBig Grin

The reason for eth1 is for some reason eth0 is getting renamed to eth1. Here is a grep of my syslog for eth1

root@appletv-ubuntu:~# cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i eth1

Dec 27 21:18:23 appletv-ubuntu kernel: [ 47.232298] udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
Dec 27 21:18:24 appletv-ubuntu kernel: [ 54.672640] eth1: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xC5E1
Dec 27 21:18:25 appletv-ubuntu dhclient: Listening on LPF/eth1/64:b9:e8:fe:68:41
Dec 27 21:18:25 appletv-ubuntu dhclient: Sending on LPF/eth1/64:b9:e8:fe:68:41
Dec 27 21:18:28 appletv-ubuntu dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
Dec 27 21:18:28 appletv-ubuntu dhclient: DHCPREQUEST of 10.1.1.120 on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
Dec 27 21:18:34 appletv-ubuntu kernel: [ 65.078727] eth1: no IPv6 routers present
defiler Wrote:As someone that doesn't know the particular issue that's causing problems, would there not be merit in scripting a list of all eth devices (ifconfig piped to grep, or some quick perl regexp would do in a pinch) and then configure them all to DHCP?

I don't know - it's pretty ugly, but why shouldnt' it work? Bear in mind that I'm drunk, and so all consultancy is non-chargeable, but probably inaccurate. Big Grin

A very cohesive and lucid drunk albeit a drunk Smile. Some good ideas, but network-manager package should handle it. It's being tested now -- only problem is it creates another issue: rc.local is fired off before the network is fully initalised, so I have to use a small bash script that keeps running with sleep commands until pinging a website returns success. Not ideal, but it might work for eth0 and eth1.

anethema Wrote:Hey Sam, I made an account to post thisBig Grin

The reason for eth1 is for some reason eth0 is getting renamed to eth1. Here is a grep of my syslog for eth1

root@appletv-ubuntu:~# cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i eth1

Dec 27 21:18:23 appletv-ubuntu kernel: [ 47.232298] udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
Dec 27 21:18:24 appletv-ubuntu kernel: [ 54.672640] eth1: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xC5E1
Dec 27 21:18:25 appletv-ubuntu dhclient: Listening on LPF/eth1/64:b9:e8:fe:68:41
Dec 27 21:18:25 appletv-ubuntu dhclient: Sending on LPF/eth1/64:b9:e8:fe:68:41
Dec 27 21:18:28 appletv-ubuntu dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
Dec 27 21:18:28 appletv-ubuntu dhclient: DHCPREQUEST of 10.1.1.120 on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
Dec 27 21:18:34 appletv-ubuntu kernel: [ 65.078727] eth1: no IPv6 routers present

This is strange. For me, the device is always eth0. I cannot explain why for other users the NIC exists as eth1. Perhaps and this is a big perhaps, the network card exists as eth0 for me because it is the first one I setup. When you guys try it out, using the same NIC but a different MAC address, Ubuntu sees it as a new card. I'd love to know the answer to this one.

And welcome to the community Smile
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:A very cohesive and lucid drunk albeit a drunk Smile. Some good ideas, but network-manager package should handle it. It's being tested now -- only problem is it creates another issue: rc.local is fired off before the network is fully initalised, so I have to use a small bash script that keeps running with sleep commands until pinging a website returns success. Not ideal, but it might work for eth0 and eth1.

This is strange. For me, the device is always eth0. I cannot explain why for other users the NIC exists as eth1. Perhaps and this is a big perhaps, the network card exists as eth0 for me because it is the first one I setup. When you guys try it out, using the same NIC but a different MAC address, Ubuntu sees it as a new card. I'd love to know the answer to this one.

And welcome to the community Smile

it's an ubuntu udev rule that sets that up.
Sam, thank you again for your work!

I've managed to get XBMC going of the USB-drive and it handles almost all of my files with minimum frame drops.... ...UNTILL i turn subtitles on! Then it starts to skips even on moderate 720p files (which were played fine on the old image) It is really strange, because I've never seen subtitles to slow down XBMC. Could you suggest any solution?
HTPC: XBMC Gotham 15.2 on Intel NUC DCCP847DYE (Intel Celeron 847), 2GB RAM, Samsung PM830 SSD, OpenELEC 6.0.0
SYSTEM: Panasonic TX-P65ST50, Pioneer VSX-922K, Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 + Diamond 9.CS + SW150 sub, Logitech Harmony 880 remote
davilla Wrote:it's an ubuntu udev rule that sets that up.

Yep. That explains it.

Fixed the problem using network-manager. Thanks to dnguy22 for testing my solution. Will put up an image later.

bass63 Wrote:Sam, thank you again for your work!

I've managed to get XBMC going of the USB-drive and it handles almost all of my files with minimum frame drops.... ...UNTILL i turn subtitles on! Then it starts to skips even on moderate 720p files (which were played fine on the old image) It is really strange, because I've never seen subtitles to slow down XBMC. Could you suggest any solution?

Sorry. Not sure. Make a separate thread with a full xbmc log.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV?0