• 3(current)
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV?
Looking at the advancedsettings section on the wiki. Gives me no such file or directory when I try the first line.
cd .xbmc\userdata

Has that changed?

Thanks
if you didn't create it, it isn't there.
Yeah, the advancedsettings.xml file does not exist until you create it Smile
jadel Wrote:Looking at the advancedsettings section on the wiki. Gives me no such file or directory when I try the first line.
cd .xbmc\userdata

Has that changed?

Thanks
fistacorpse Wrote:Yeah, the advancedsettings.xml file does not exist until you create it Smile

I think what jadel is saying is, as per the wiki, it says to edit advancedsettings.xml by cd'ing into .xbmc\userdata. Like him I too can't find that directory. Where did you and thnmnt find the userdata directory?
Well, for a start, you should be using / instead of \

The full path in Sam's first image was located at /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata which is in the home directory for the xbmc user (should have a default password of xbmc). So, try logging in as xbmc, and then type: "cd /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/"

Keep in mind you can connect to your AppleTV using SFTP, which you can do using most FTP clients, and you can just create the file on your PC and "FTP" it to the userdata folder.
fistacorpse Wrote:Well, for a start, you should be using / instead of \

The full path in Sam's first image was located at /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata which is in the home directory for the xbmc user (should have a default password of xbmc). So, try logging in as xbmc, and then type: "cd /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/"

Keep in mind you can connect to your AppleTV using SFTP, which you can do using most FTP clients, and you can just create the file on your PC and "FTP" it to the userdata folder.

Huh? We're talking about his new image. The login xbmc/xbmc doesn't work for me on the new image. I've logged in with atv/atv as per someone else's tip on this thread. I've also got XBMC running as well. You've gotten into the new image with xbmc/xbmc?

And as far as the path, I just copied & pasted from Sam's wiki so he must have it wrong..

http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-atv/wiki/Ubuntu

And I've done the advancedsettings.xml which feels like a hundred times so I know how to do that one thx.
Yeah, well, I'm still waiting on a fixed image from Sam so that I can try it. I gave you instructions for how to do it on the last image. Logic would say that he has moved the XBMC install directory, unless it's in the ATV home directory.

Try searching for the ".xbmc" or "userdata" directories..
Yeah thats right. The problem is you cant create a advancedsettings file in that directory because its not there. So the question is where does it go.

Im guessing that all that stuff remains on the usb stick so you cant modify it, but thats certainly not what the wiki indicates.

Similarly I just copied and pasted that line.

ATV/ATV is the only combo I found that works, maybe thats a problem?
The impression I got is that the image starts an install script, so if you look at the USB stick before you boot up XBMC, it won't be installed, but if you SSH into XBMC when it's up and running, you should find the XBMC directory.

Of course, this is all speculation as I don't have a working image I can try, because Sam has to fix the Ethernet configuration and make a new release of the USB image.
jadel Wrote:Yeah thats right. The problem is you cant create a advancedsettings file in that directory because its not there. So the question is where does it go.

Im guessing that all that stuff remains on the usb stick so you cant modify it, but thats certainly not what the wiki indicates.

Similarly I just copied and pasted that line.

ATV/ATV is the only combo I found that works, maybe thats a problem?

It has to Exist. XBMC won't run without it.

SSH to the AppleTV. I guess the user is 'atv' pass 'atv'.

Type "ps auxww | grep -i xbmc"
See what user it is running under (or paste the results if you don't know how to figure it out)
This should also work:
Code:
ps auxww | grep -v grep | grep xbmc.bin | cut -d " " -f 1

Code:
cd ~username/.xbmc/userdata/

where 'username' is what the command returned.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Thats not what its doing if it is supposed to. There doesnt appear to be any xbmc directory anywhere.

I would try install to HDD but Im wondering if theres a new way to do that too. Such as the automated installer way mentioned.
/root/.xbmc/userdata
cool thanks. I tried ls -l obviously not the right command.
jadel Wrote:/root is an empty folder.

atv@appletv-ubuntu:/root$ ls -alt
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2010-12-27 02:46 .
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-12-27 02:46 .pulse
-rw------- 1 root root 256 2010-12-27 02:46 .pulse-cookie
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 2010-12-26 19:00 .xbmc
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2010-12-26 18:39 .subversion
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 2010-10-24 04:14 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2227 2007-10-20 12:51 .bashrc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 141 2007-10-20 12:51 .profile
Which means that xbmc.bin would show up as running under root.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Sam's beta image for Apple TV?0