Server build and tweak thread
poofyhairguy Wrote:I just share my primary frontend's thumbnail folder on the network, and run a single MySQL xbmc database on my Unraid server, and enjoy life.

Why not put the thumbnail folder on the Unraid server? I just set up MySQL on Unraid yesterday(I haven't shared the thumbnail folder yet).. I think it went more smoothly than anything else in my HTPC career.
actionfreak Wrote:Why not put the thumbnail folder on the Unraid server?

Because then I waste all that speed boost a SSD gives me. My main box gets used 95% of the time so it makes sense for that one to be faster. I don't mind waiting a couple seconds for my library to pull up in my bedroom, but if I added that lag to my primary HTPC (especially when it DIDN'T have that lag before) my wife would kill me.

I know this is probably the wrong thread to ask but can't you sync the thumbnail cache folders somehow from a central network share so they load instantly on every machine?
Ok, a little update:

I've now added a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, 8-Port SAS/SATA Card : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/supermicr...oller+Card

I've also added some more fans, got one top, back and side blowing out, and two on the harddrive 4in3 cages sucking air in, so should have a decent airflow.

Speedfan shows the temps are nice and low (13' - 30' C depending on disk use)

A few pics of the set up below. Note I need to work on cable management as I have so many different cables and lengths, its hard to make it tidy. I plan to change the power supply for a better one. It has bee fine, no issues at all, but it doesn't get good reviews so will go for a better one soon, which is probably when I'll rewire the box.

Running around 9TB in there (unprotected). WHen I can add a 2TB drive as backup I will be running Flexraid to give me some protection.

Thanks
poofyhairguy Wrote:Because then I waste all that speed boost a SSD gives me. My main box gets used 95% of the time so it makes sense for that one to be faster. I don't mind waiting a couple seconds for my library to pull up in my bedroom, but if I added that lag to my primary HTPC (especially when it DIDN'T have that lag before) my wife would kill me.

So you don't keep your data (fanart, trailors, thumbnails?) with the media on your servers? If you want to access your media from another room you would need to leave your server and main box on?
poofyhairguy Wrote:Because then I waste all that speed boost a SSD gives me. My main box gets used 95% of the time so it makes sense for that one to be faster. I don't mind waiting a couple seconds for my library to pull up in my bedroom, but if I added that lag to my primary HTPC (especially when it DIDN'T have that lag before) my wife would kill me.

This is something I'm currently looking into. If I have an SSD on the server, and had the thumbnails along with the MYSQL database there, will there be a huge performance hit vs keeping the thumbs local on the main htpc?
I need some advice please gurus.

I have this server, as listed in this thread, with a DG41TY motherboard which has a PCI-e X16 and X1 slot. I also have a SAS card to add more sata ports SAS Card which is X4 and must be installed in the larger X16 slot.

I have just bought a GT 430 card to allow the server to run XBMC in the bedroom (low use expected but needed the HDMI out). I cut the pins down to make it fit in the X1 slot, which is well documented and works fine, however, I can only get Win7 to recognise and use the HDMI out @ 1080p if I put this card in the X16 slot (which I need for the SAS card). If I put it here, it works perfectly @ 1080p.

If I put it in the X1, with the nVidia drivers installed to recongise it as a GT430 it gets to the starting windows screen then just a black screen. If I remove the card, remove all nvidia drivers and restart it with the card in the X1 slot, Win7 recognises it and makes it a 'generic VGA' card even though its using the HMDI cable. This means it has low resolution and looks crap.

What is going on? The slots are in theory the same. It works in 1 so why not the otherHuh

Pulling my hair out, any ideas?
Looking at the technical spec here: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...029535.htm

It states 'One PCI Express x16 connector supporting PCI Express graphics cards' so would that imply the x1 slot does not support graphics cards? It does, just not at HDMI 1080p quality. Confused, as I looked at graphics cards and all sites said the PCIe slot is the same, its only the transfer speed that differs, so why wouldn't it support the card?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server build and tweak thread0