Way to Mute/Lower Notification Volume
Hi,

I've recently done some upgrading to my home theatre setup, getting sick beard and couch potato. I like the ability to notify XBMC that they have, but I find the volume of the notifications obscenely loud (In terms of volume, i've noticed high def files often are quieter than old AVI's, and I set my receiver to "45" for them and "25" for AVI's.) When the receiver is set up for watching high def (the majority of the time) the notifications are incredibly loud. Is there any configuration I can change that could either turn down the volume of them or mute them entirely?

Thanks,

Phil
Bump
I have the same issue/question.
Have you tried disabling skin sounds?
Thank you Kibje that is a good temporary work around.
I would like to have the gui sounds though. I just do not want them at 100% volume.
I suppose I could edit the notification sound file (if i can find it) and lower its volume there.
But I would much rather know how to do it on a code level. I cannot believe that there is not a call I can put into the advanced xml file that will lower the system volume/ let me set its percentage.
fixing the sound files is much much easier than adding something in the code.
if they are too loud it should be fixed in the files itself not adding some complicated setting
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I know its not what you're after, but you can delete the notification sound and xbmc and gui sounds will function fine.
I will go down that path. Likely just edit it in Audacity and lower its volume. I do WANT notification sounds. I just cannot believe that after 10 years SOMEONE has not said.. OMG THAT IS LOUD and programmed in a way somewhere to lower the system volume. Or maybe if you could tell me the API code/funcdtion that is used to call the notification prompt I can grep for it in the skin and modify it there. I would have to imagine that the volume level would be one of the arguments.
(2013-05-29, 08:25)DesktopMasters Wrote: Or maybe if you could tell me the API code/funcdtion that is used to call the notification prompt I can grep for it in the skin and modify it there. I would have to imagine that the volume level would be one of the arguments.

It is all in the wiki under XBMC Skinning Manual (wiki)

Code:
Notification(header,message[,time,image])
Well clearly the api does not allow the skin to control the volume of the notification. So that idea is out. That leaves editing the notification sound directly or the more preferred setting the volume in the advanced xml file.
As far as i know it can't be modified in advancedsettings.xml (wiki) either. What skin are you using ?
This is possible on Linux and Mac OS X using Add-on:XBMC Audio Mixer (wiki).
(2013-05-29, 08:25)DesktopMasters Wrote: I will go down that path. Likely just edit it in Audacity and lower its volume. I do WANT notification sounds. I just cannot believe that after 10 years SOMEONE has not said.. OMG THAT IS LOUD and programmed in a way somewhere to lower the system volume. Or maybe if you could tell me the API code/funcdtion that is used to call the notification prompt I can grep for it in the skin and modify it there. I would have to imagine that the volume level would be one of the arguments.
Man I can't believe that after 2 days of bitching you haven't coded the fix and submitted a pull request.

Ahh well, that's what you get for 10 years and millions of hours of coding millions of lines of software. Someone just bloody forgot the feature you want. Bastards should just give up and use their VCRs.

Oh I missed Ned's post, it was on page 2, which I didn't realise was there. Looks like someone did fix it, they just forgot to tell you. Bastards should just give up and use their VCRs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-05-29, 08:18)Martijn Wrote: fixing the sound files is much much easier than adding something in the code.
if they are too loud it should be fixed in the files itself not adding some complicated setting

I don't see why it needs to be complicated. And IMO its a valid feature, some are hard of hearing and wants it louder. Some doesn't want it at all. Its not a thing which necessarily needs to follow the audio levels of playback either.

Here is how its done on Android, which could be one way of uncomplicating it.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
(2013-05-30, 10:50)topfs2 Wrote:
(2013-05-29, 08:18)Martijn Wrote: fixing the sound files is much much easier than adding something in the code.

I don't see why it needs to be complicated. And IMO its a valid feature, some are hard of hearing and wants it louder. Some doesn't want it at all. Its not a thing which necessarily needs to follow the audio levels of playback either.

Here is how its done on Android, which could be one way of uncomplicating it.
See posts 11 and 12 (especially 11)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hmmm, maybe I'm wrong after all. I was playing with it just now and it seems changing "alert volume" doesn't do anything o.O

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Way to Mute/Lower Notification Volume0