• 11(current)
[LINUX] Generic HID Remote Driver for XBMC (Drivers for XBMC on Linux and XBMC Live)
MakGreg Wrote:Hello,

Could you try the following and provide us with this command output:

Code:
$ sudo insmod `modinfo uinput | grep filename | cut -d: -f2`
$ grep -i uinput /boot/config-`uname -r`

Greg.

Hi,

Code:
$ sudo insmod `modinfo uinput | grep filename | cut -d: -f2`
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module uinput
Usage: insmod filename [args]

$ grep -i uinput /boot/config-`uname -r`
CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT=y

thanks!
Hello,

CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT=y

That means uinput has not been compiled as a module on your platform, it is directly included in the kernel.

If it was compiled as a module you should have seen that:

CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT=m

So it seems that the problem is not uinput related... I will try to help you if it is possible (I need time and time is missing Smile).

See you.
Greg.
I don't quite believe this... I did a dist-upgrade to get the newest kernel (2.6.38-10-generic) and now it's working again.

Well sort of. The newest version of the tarball downloaded from here still doesn't work (timestamp 2011-04-03 14:02), tried another make clean and make but still no joy.

However I randomly tried an older version again, not the very first version but the one I had working before upgrading from maverick to natty (tarball timestamp 2011-01-28 09:39), and that now works again, without even recompiling!!

I'm baffled but happy. Thanks Greg, you pointed me down the kernel road and that seems to be what fixed it, somehow!
FYI, I did some quick tests with this tarball and a mouse (I have no remote control here):

$ wget -c http://www.coldsource.net/hid_mapper.tar.gz

Timestamped 2011-02-24 10:23 and I faced no problem on my Ubuntu 11.04... After checking your update I realized that my kernel is the 2.6.38-10-generic one, this is maybe the reason why I didn't faced any problem.

Well, that's fine as your problem is fixed Wink
Greg.
hmm the ones I have are the hid_mapper_beta.tar.gz , the only hid_mapper.tar.gz I have is the very first one I downloaded which did find the devices ok but not all buttons worked properly. I didn't realise that had ever been updated since that original version.

Shame there are no version numbers to know which is which!
Grez Wrote:Shame there are no version numbers to know which is which!

It's my fault I should have set version numbers on archives. I must say I didn't thought I would release more than 1 version.

I'll try to make a Wiki page somewhere to put a summary of all that has been said here.

MakGreg : I don't know if it could be included in XBMC, but it could be a good thing as many remotes are now HID. The only thing that is missing is a graphical interface or an XBMC plugin to learn the commands.
Hello Coldsource,

No problem for the version, you released a useful tool freely on you spare time to help some people who need it, we can't blame you! It seems Grez told that as a constructive remark not as negative one Smile

Of course it could be great to configure your HID mapper with a plugin or any GUI but you know that it takes time to release this kind of tool, If I was a coder I really would like have to... But I'm not Wink

Great idea for the Wiki page, If you know where to put it I can help for the content.

Greg.
Hai,

I'm facing a rather weird problem with my No-Name MCE-Remote...
it all worked well until I had to reboot my machine...
I'm using XBMC-Live (latest release).

The Problem is, that the remote now seems to send totally different hexcodes than before.
for example:
Code:
before reboot:
a001004f:KEY_RIGHT

after reboot:
0001004f:KEY_RIGHT

after some waiting:
a005000010:KEY_RIGHT

Anybody knows why?

Thanks

PS: the hexcodes NOT starting with a0 seem to work perfectly out-of-the-box with XBMC, no mapper needed, tho it jumps every now and then between various codes...
currently I've got only for the RIGHT key:
Code:
a001004f:KEY_RIGHT
a005000010:KEY_RIGHT
a005002a11:KEY_RIGHT
a005002a12:KEY_RIGHT
a005002a23:KEY_RIGHT
0001004f:KEY_RIGHT

I could not yet see any pattern in the time between the changes...
Hello All,
I'm new to this thread ( and linux and XBMC Live) and seem to be missing something.
I've installed the latest version of Live on a ASUS AT310NT-I Deluxe board that came with the same remote pictured in the first post. I down loaded the .tar.gz and uncompressed it. It created a directory called "hid_mapper_beta" then start following the directions & get:

xbmc@XBMCLive:~/hid_mapper_beta$ make clean
rm -f *.o
rm -f hid_mapper
xbmc@XBMCLive:~/hid_mapper_beta$ make
g++ -c -Iinclude main.cpp
make: g++: Command not found
make: *** [main.o] Error 127

Is the g++ error because I'm running Live or am I missing a step that was "implied" in the directions?

Thanx in Advance, DReW
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-29-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 11 19:00:09 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
Hi,

you have to install some developer tools.

Best regards,
MrFX
I want to make some changes to my key mapping file, but after exiting xbmc, I see the following lines open in the terminal:

Found HID Device
Opened HID interface on /dev/hidraw2
Opened HID interface on /dev/hidraw3
Generic USB mapper driver setup

I added the loading of the map file in my /etc/rc.local/ and now I can't seem to get into the terminal prompt. Any ideas? Thanks.
thevillain9 Wrote:I added the loading of the map file in my /etc/rc.local/ and now I can't seem to get into the terminal prompt. Any ideas? Thanks.

Did you place a space and an ampersand (&) at the end of the command? Nerd
EG: /path/hidmapper -options ... &
Has anyone got this to work in 11.04 with Jetway IR Remote? I'm getting the same error as everyone else. It lists the device, but won't work from there.

I see somebody posted the jetway codes from before. Those don't work in the xbmc keymap file by chance, do they?
I was able to get hid_mapper to work on 11.04 on my jetway by running as root explicitly. Sudoing didn't work for some reason.

Now i just need to fine a nice map.
Hi,
Thanks for writting this great utility. Have been pullin my hair out trying to get all buttons on http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001M56DI0 working.
The remote works okish on Ubuntu Server 11.04 but the volume up does not seem to translate to a keycode.
I can see IR codes using cat /dev/input/event4 | hexdump though.

Being a linux newbie, is this utility going to work on Ubuntu Server?
I aim to use your utility to fix the missing Volume Up and other 'missing' media buttons so that I can control a headless music player.
I have gnome-core installed for VNC Server but don't usually start the server and will eventually drop that part of my install.

I can see problems with my setup & this guide, I don't have /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ for example & would really like to know how far I this will run before I hit another dead end.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Generic HID Remote Driver for XBMC (Drivers for XBMC on Linux and XBMC Live)7