Featuring Artist
Hi everyone

First off thanks so much for a brillant product! I've just bought my very first HTPC, installed OpenElec and I love it!

Now, I am in the process of properly tagging all my music to get a nice clean music library and it got me thinking. Is there a way to discriminate between a song that has two artists (eg. Robbie Williams & Nicole Kidman - Something Stupid) and a song that has an artist and a featuring artist (eg. Eminem feat. Dido - Stan)? I know that I can tag a song with two artists (eg. "Robbie Williams / Nicole Kidman" or "Eminem / Dido"). However, I would very much like to differ between a normal and a featuring artist.

Now I got myself the source code and had a quick look at it and also at the MySQL database structure. So here comes my feature request:

How about distinguishing between an "artist" and a "featuring artist"?

As far as I can tell, it wouldn't be that much of a change. I believe these would be the necessary steps:
  • a database column in song for the featuring artists
  • a "featuringregex" config entry in as.xml so xbmc can separate the artist list from the featuring artist list
  • a few code changes to the various split/join methods for the artist tags

What are your opinions about this? I have to admit, I haven't checked the id3 specification yet, whether there is a possibility to properly tag a featuring artist. So maybe, there would be another possibility....

update:
This is from the id3v2.4.0 specification at http://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames
Code:
TPE1
   The 'Lead artist/Lead performer/Soloist/Performing group' is
   used for the main artist.

TPE2
   The 'Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment' frame is used for additional
   information about the performers in the recording.

So I guess a featuring artist would go in TPE2? Is xbmc extracting/displaying the TPE2 information in any way?

update2:
I found, that TPE2 is interpreted as the albumartist by xbmc which is probably a good thing to do. Especially as taggers like picard do the same.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Featuring Artist0