Not smooth playback MKV/MP4 h264 videos
Hi,

I do not master codecs, encoders, video streams. I am an 'normal' user/amateur. I kindly ask the help of some expert or guru about.

As I like very much XBMC I use to rip my DVDs to MKV or MP4 H.264 files so to create my video library and use it with XBMC. I use Handbreak or Xilisoft DVD ripper. The first as I find it easier, the latter because it has CUDA support and it transcode/compress a movie in less than 30 minutes.

The only setting I touch is bitrate that I set to 2400Kbits / 2800Kbits to get the best compromise between size and quality. I leave framerate and resolution to 'original', nor I touch any other setting.

Recently I dedicated a PC to be my mediacenter (AMD 6400) where I installed the latest version of XBMC. I also dowloaded more than 100 of fan arts and covers to complete my video libray. Pleased with my job I started playing movies but with my great disappoinment I noticed that all videos (MKV and MP4) did not playback smoothly. It seems that one or more frames sometimes dropped. I tried to play videos with other players such as Windows media player, GOM media player, BS player but the result was always the same.

With my great surprise when I tired VLC, the movies played perfectly.

At this point I guess there's something with codecs/software that is not working.

I installed CoreAVC but it did not help, so I uninstalled it. I don't have any codec packs installed. My sistem is Windows XP3 with all the latest updates, AMD 6400, 2Gb RAM).

I did search on the internet about this issues but I did not find any topic. I also searched XBMC forum and I found this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70691

Do I have to try what explained above?

Out of curiosity, why VLC plays the movies correctly? What codec/library it uses?

Please kindly help me working out this issue. I'm not an expert as many of you so please understand that my goal is to have my movies in H264 format and use XBMC as media center. If needed, suggest me any settings to better transcode/compress the movies.

Thank you.
Regards.
well xp doesnt do dxva2 for starters(xbmc only supports that). vlc probably supports dxva which xbmc does not.

get yourself windows 7 64bit if you want xbmc to play nice. or search for dsplayer thread. apparently this uses dxva. why they dont leave it in as an option i have no clue.
Mainboard : FOXCONN A7GM-S
Chipset : AMD 780G
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @ 2300MHz
Physical Memory : 2048MB (1 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
Monitor Type : Panasonic Panasonic-TV -
Operating System :Windows 7 Ultimate Professional

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Not smooth playback MKV/MP4 h264 videos0