Stuttering playback and blocky DXVA2 decoding [debug log posted]
I just installed XBMC 10, and I notice video stutter when I play H264/MKV movies.
The sound and audio sync is fine, the video just looks like it stutters.

If I play the same movies with MPC-HC, they play fine.

I used the default XBMC options, it defaulted to DXVA2 enabled.
OS is Win7 x64.
Machine is a DELL Latitude E6510 notebook, this is an Core i7 with 8GB RAM.
Monitor is 24" 1920x1200 NEC.
XBMC Dharma 10 release.
MPC-HC x64 1.4.2499.0.
Other than MPC-HC and XBMC, there are no additional codecs installed.

I used the killa.sampla.x264.mkv file to test the playback performance.

MPC-HC has no problems, defaults to DXVA enabled, video is smooth and good quality, fullscreen or windowed plays fine.

When I play the same file using XBMC, the first split second of the movie is green, then severe pixellation, then as the camera zooms out the birds start looking better, but much worse than MPC-HC.

If I disable DXVA2, the video quality is great, but lots of dropped frames.

Here are screen captures of the results:
XBMC
MPC-HC

Debug log:
XBMC

I know the pixellation problem is not the same as the stuttering problem, but I don't know how to visualize the stuttering.

Any ideas how to fix the stuttering and the pixellation?

P.
I tested the same file on the same machine with Boxee, and it also plays perfectly fine.

This really seems to be a XBMC problem?

P.
Apparently DXVA support for Intel graphics is 'experimental' with XBMC:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83743
ptr727 Wrote:Any ideas how to fix the stuttering and the pixellation?

P.

Use DS Player. The internal XBMC player is WAY more limited. The DS Player has full FFDSHOW support.

Mallet21 Wrote:Apparently DXVA support for Intel graphics is 'experimental' with XBMC:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83743

This machine has an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M graphic processor, not an Intel processor.

P.
poofyhairguy Wrote:Use DS Player. The internal XBMC player is WAY more limited. The DS Player has full FFDSHOW support.

I could, but that defeats the purpose of an all in one installation, i.e. I do not want to mess around with configuration changes or codec installs.

Since Boxee (based on XBMC) and MPC-HC both work, this appears to be a bug.

I'd rather help XBMC fix the bug than defect.

P.
ptr727 Wrote:I'd rather help XBMC fix the bug than defect.
Hear, hear! Nod
Good attitude, thanks for spending the time to help the developers.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I have had this exact same problem. A weird green screen at the beginning then constant blocking/artifacts throughout any files. This only happened after upgrading to 10.0. I had been fine on other Dharma releases. I am using integrated Intel graphics. When I turn off the acceleration everything clears up, but of course I get some frame drops during intense scenes.

Something changed from beta to 10.0 that caused this it seems.
I am getting this problem on a lot of files that playback perfectly fine in all other players. Very annoying as I wanted an all in one solution. I can use MPC HC as the player I guess but then I dont get the option to download subs, it does not exit on stopping the file either, unless it runs to the end. Any help would be appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering playback and blocky DXVA2 decoding [debug log posted]0