Aeon on an ION?
I've tried Aeon Nox, and it works very smooth.

So, what will be the differences between Aeon Lite and Aeon Nox?
Aeon Nox seems nice at first. The homescreen is smooth, the font is good and bold. But using it bit more I see it's drawbacks. I quite often browse youtube and other video plugins in xbmc.. thumbnail view in skins like mediastream/pm3 are great for this, there is no ideal view in Aeon.

The cd spinning graphic when playing music (sat at the home screen) is nice, but 'now playing' info is compromised when on any other screen; it is relgated to the topleft of the screen in a font much too small. Fullscreen video is very nice, the osd is lovely, and the same goes for the INFO when you hit I on a movie. Heres where things are less sweet on an atom proc... coverflow, still chugs a fair amount, stick to non-coverflow showcase and you're talking. With a movie playing, I hit tab to drop out of fullscreen. The video continues to play (in a smaller window) behind your line of movie posters (showcase view). Looks odd. Playback seems to chug after a while also (might be movie-dependent of course).

Showcase view for music is nice but I prefer a list view for the individual tracks.. the result? Its nice that xbmc remembers view layouts but going from showcase, to list, then back to showcase when you back out feels quite an un-natural experience.

TVShows, bannerview seems quite nice (provided you've got the right banner artwork- ie horizontal rectangular shaped image)- else it looks stretched. But for me, I couldn't seem to switch to another view after picking this view?

Nox I feel would benefit from some kind of vignette image effect for the backgrounds, like in the pre-Aeon days. -if you have a directory of images at random for backgrounds, theres a good chance one of them will obscure the 'now playing' info on the homescreen making it illegible.

Overall I thin Aeon Nox is great if you have a well-managed, tidy local media setup. But for pulling stuff from the web I think other skins facilitate that a bit better. To see it at it's best, ie coverflow, I would guess the images could do with being lower-res. (my posters are all about 1MB each), the fanart- whatever xbmc pulls em down as.

The thumbnails do seem incredibly crisp I will say, I am guessing the samplerate/thumb quality is quite high.
Aeon MX also runs great on my Asrock 152D
Too many god damn versions of Aeon... because of this i gave up on this skin a long time ago. News of Zombie's new skin sparked my interest again, but i've learned not to hold my breath. Will be good to try out :-)

Keep up the good work.

Loggio
So I haven't had much time coding wise for the last two weeks because of new baby boy but i can see some time coming up in the next couple of days hopefully after that i will be at about 90% to 95% done before i can release a alpha download atv fans may have to wait until after the alpha release i have jailbroken my atv2 and am testing the skin at the moment all i have to say is wow what a sh#t experience it is i dont think its my skin i could be that its still a new development of xbmc but there are a lot of bugs with the skin on the atv that will need to be addressed after alpha release. on pc its crazy fast blows the lid off showmix speed wise will keep in touch soon for alpha download
PantsOnFire Wrote:Heres where things are less sweet on an atom proc... coverflow, still chugs a fair amount, stick to non-coverflow showcase and you're talking.

Are you using DDS fanart?
SophT Wrote:Are you using DDS fanart?

I agree. I use DDS and coverflow is smooth as can be on my ion using nox
--Dascmo

\\ OpenElec \ Frodo \ ASROCK 330HT \\ AEON NOX 4.0 \\

Free Online Storage: Copy

^^HIGHLY RECOMMENDED^^
ZombieRobot Wrote:So I haven't had much time coding wise for the last two weeks because of new baby boy but i can see some time coming up in the next couple of days hopefully after that i will be at about 90% to 95% done before i can release a alpha download atv fans may have to wait until after the alpha release i have jailbroken my atv2 and am testing the skin at the moment all i have to say is wow what a sh#t experience it is i dont think its my skin i could be that its still a new development of xbmc but there are a lot of bugs with the skin on the atv that will need to be addressed after alpha release. on pc its crazy fast blows the lid off showmix speed wise will keep in touch soon for alpha download

And against the Aeon Nox, same speed?
Thanks for the DDSfanart tip, has improved performance quite a bit, coverflow now pretty good ("Turns Coverslow, into Coverflow..."). Would have thought this be a useful thing to have enabled by default, at clean install, the casual user won't want to have to add this. But Im greatful that it works.
Revenge Wrote:And against the Aeon Nox, same speed?

same speeds as nox
Glad i strolled across this thread. Keep up the good work!
loggio Wrote:Too many god damn versions of Aeon... because of this i gave up on this skin a long time ago. News of Zombie's new skin sparked my interest again, but i've learned not to hold my breath. Will be good to try out :-)

Keep up the good work.

Loggio

I couldn't agree more. Aeon, as beautiful as it is, has too many Indians and not enough Chiefs. It's too bad that people prefer to work against one another instead of together to create one or two great skins.

Aeon65 looked to have 3 developers and when everything looked great with regular updates, EVERYONE stopped?? Thankfully that skin with a few tweaks runs great. I configured a friend's ION XBMC Live system with it and although it is a little sluggish (compare to my C2D), using DDS fanart, it is very usable.

I tried Aeon Nox and although it is promising, a few views leave a lot to be desired. The music views IMO are especially barren.

I look forward to Aeon Lite. Hopefully it can fill the gap between Aeon65 and Aeon Nox. I also hope unlike the other Aeon projects, someone decides to continue it when the original author stops.

No more Aeon orphans!! Wink
Question 
Aeon orphans, nice Smile

I'm using Nox quite a bit now but I do agree the music views are not so exciting. However I have one other thing I'd like to talk about; the font size for displaying items in list view. I decided not to post this on the Nox thread, because I would expect the skin is too far-on to consider such a re-design.

(Maybe) I use a setup which is not ideal; but I have a 40" screen and sit about maybe 7 or 8 feet away from it. IMO, in Nox, the font size for displaying anything in list view is too small in normal mode, too large (wasting space also) in large mode. While the file explorer exhibits what I consider to be a very happy medium. I think people may disagree with me depending how far they sit from their TV, but to my eye, it looks very nicely proportioned in the file explorer.

Maybe this could be a consideration for Aeon Lite's design?

A screenshot-compilation to compare, not ideal but I hope you get the idea!:
This is the size of my list view fullscreen has large title at top of screen and normal list view has decent size fonts for titles i can easily add larger font option to it most of my views dont even have movie titles i will add it as a option to turn them on but by default there wont be any title names in showcase views just because i have chosen to go as clean as i can with this skin i am not a fan of all the clutter on screen. that being said all things that other skins have will be able to be toggled on in settings

List fullscreen view

List normal view

Showcase views

@ZoombieRobot: That looks pretty nice.

@PantsOnFire: If it's still to small for, then you may edit the font.xml in the 720p folder (as a workaround).
Cheers
ubuntuf4n

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon on an ION?0