HP Microserver NAS and 1080P player
poofyhairguy Wrote:PLEASE don't get a fanless card. You need to move air in that case or you will kill your harddrives in a matter of a few months. Trust me, I have done it in a similar setup. Fanless GPUs and HDs are a terrible mix. If you are gonna make one a HTPC, accept a little fan noise or accept data loss.

For the record, any half height GT430 will work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Like that.

Thanks for the reply!

To be fair i've currently got a fantastic fanless 5xxx card (can't remember the model) in an Antec Fusion case and it's been gold, but doesn't have HDMI, only DVI, so I know the airflow in there is good enough and the 430 is a bit more efficient, plus it has better XVMC support.

Do any fanless GT430 cards exist? I'd like to boot into Windows occasionally for games, else i'd go for a fanless GT210 or similar.

EDIT: Forgot to say - no hard drives in there, it boots over USB and uses NFS to my HP Microserver for the content Smile
okay so here's the plan:

1. HP MicroServer barebones

2. stick 4x2TB HDDs and 2x2GB RAM inside

3. use GT430 with fan, the comments from poofy about airflow are correct, else there's the good chance that I'll have a terabyte barbecue

4. mod the 5 1/4 bay with semi-transparent cover, stick SSD and HP Ir receiver (connected to internal USB) inside

5. install XBMCbuntu based on maverick server onto SSD

6. Huh

7. PROFIT!

the only thing that bothers me is the same reason why up until now I had separate NAS and HTPC: with this config I won't be able to suspend the machine if I want to have access to the files from elsewhere. so IF XBMC decides to lock up and boosts CPU to 100% for an extended period of time the system may go FUBAR... well... guess I have to sleep over it
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
seanysean Wrote:Do any fanless GT430 cards exist? I'd like to boot into Windows occasionally for games, else i'd go for a fanless GT210 or similar.

Zotac makes one. I own it. Very nice, but it is HUGE.

Hannes The Hun Wrote:okay so here's the plan:

1. HP MicroServer barebones

2. stick 4x2TB HDDs and 2x2GB RAM inside

3. use GT430 with fan, the comments from poofy about airflow are correct, else there's the good chance that I'll have a terabyte barbecue

4. mod the 5 1/4 bay with semi-transparent cover, stick SSD and HP Ir receiver (connected to internal USB) inside

5. install XBMCbuntu based on maverick server onto SSD

6. Huh

7. PROFIT!

the only thing that bothers me is the same reason why up until now I had separate NAS and HTPC: with this config I won't be able to suspend the machine if I want to have access to the files from elsewhere. so IF XBMC decides to lock up and boosts CPU to 100% for an extended period of time the system may go FUBAR... well... guess I have to sleep over it

Only other recommendation I can make is maybe think about replacing the default fans with a constant state fan that way the airflow stays at a certain level all the time. Antec Tri-Cools are the best at that I think.

Otherwise, good luck. This experiment into the land of combo NAS/HTPCs is one of the best I have seen.

Will be interesting to see what happens on this front...

Looks like the underlying server OS will need to be Ubuntu. I will need to do some research compared to FreeNAS (free, WebGUI, embedded install) and UnRAID (not free, embedded USB install, WebGUI, cool expansion options for adding storage).
Them upgrades are similar to what I have in mind, I have left my fanless 210 in there for now as I am still in the setup stage and not really taxed anything too much. Occasional 720p movie.

Whats the scope of adding an aftermarket fan to my 210 as opposed to sending it back for a different model?
i have a gt220 in mine and can play 1080p with no issues
BEKO86 Wrote:Whats the scope of adding an aftermarket fan to my 210 as opposed to sending it back for a different model?

Just mount a Scythe fan on there.

Well mines been running 24/7 no problems so far!

Stupid question fan wise for the GFX, simply put could I zip a 120 fan on there to blow air away from the heatsink? Actually I dont think thats an option, the heat sink is pretty flush to the outside of the case, half an inch max.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Microserver NAS and 1080P player0