No DTS wav output after upgrade to version 10
Question 
First of all I really liked to upgrade to version 10. Especially the implementation of add-ons.

But I've now a problem with playing DTS wav files. They are now being transcoded to PCM stereo. In a previous version (9.x) DTS wav files were bitstreamed over the SPDIF output to my surround receiver.

Setup: Acer A150 netbook, running on XP. An external USB soundcard with SPDIF interface.

I adapted Playercorefactory.xml so DVDPlayer is being used as default instead of PAPplayer. Also I created an advancedsettings.xml file to force DVDPlayer not to decode DTS streams.
In the audio hardware settings I can only choose Directsound output (USB, Realtek, Primary etc..). In the older version I though there were more options available.
Playing the DTS files with windows media player and SPDIFER installed outputs bitstreams the my receiver correctly.

I've also upgraded XBMC on a second PC and there I only have correct DTS output when set the audio hardware setting to WASAPI (PC runs on windows 7). On this PC I also adapted playercorefactory.xml and added advancedsettings.xml.

Any suggestions how I can play DTS wav files correctly with XMBC version 10 on my netbook with windows XP?

How can I check if XMBC has loaded advancedsettings.xml correctly?
RogerS Wrote:Also I created an advancedsettings.xml file to force DVDPlayer not to decode DTS streams.

And what did you put in advancedsettings.xml exactly?
Just what is being described in the wiki page of advancedsettings.xml:

Quote:<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<dvdplayerignoredtsinwav>true</dvdplayerignoredtsinwav>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>
Please post a debug log.
RogerS Wrote:How can I check if XBMC has loaded advancedsettings.xml correctly?

The debug log will tell you what it's loading from advancedsettings.xml.

JR
Thumbs Up 
@bobo1on1 & jhrennie

Thank you for your help! I set on debugging and checked it afterwards. It turned out that advancedsettings.xml was not loaded as XBMC was expecting it in "C:\Program Files\XBMC\portable_data\userdata". I had stored the file in the user application data directory as described on the wiki page. I moved the file to the assigned directory and now it works.

@Developers of XBMC: The audio settings side could be a bit more user friendly. If I select in audio hardware a DTS capable receiver, you don't expect:
1] to modify "playercorefactory.xml"
2] create an "advancedsettings.xml"
3] store them in the appropriate directories
It is not a complicated task but for newbies it takes a lot of time to find out what to do.

But again: Thank you for the great product!

Happy New Year!
Maybe this is usefull to people who find this thread Smile

I also experienced a problem after upgrading to Dharma 10 and it took 2 days to find out what went wrong:
- advancedsettings.xml working --> Debug Log said it was loaded
- playercorefactory.xml modified to auto choose dvdplayer
- passtrough etc activated
--> everything worked fine with exactly the same setup before upgrading but now there is only 2 channel PCM using PAplayer or static noise using DVDplayer... Debug Log only showed something like "no passtrough"

Solution was quite simpel but nearly impossible to find:
I accidentally hit the volume down button while being in windows --> some windows audio driver/codec/whatever did manipulate the dts and changed it from 44.1khz to 48khz --> only static noise. Turning up the volume to 100%, restarting XBMC and everything was fine again.

Strange thing is: since it worked for the first time volume doesnt matter anymore, no chance to reproduce that bug :confused2:
Hi,

I have the same problem. Seems that DTS Playback has been removed.

If you look at the Wiki

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PAPlayer

Quote:Currently Supported Codecs

The .dll files for XBMC for Windows/Xbox or .so files for XBMC for Linux/Mac must be placed under the [XBMCFOLDER]/system/players/paplayer subfolder for the listed music format to become active. If there is no DLL/SO codec available for PAPlayer for a specific format then XBMC will try to play the fle with DVDPlayer instead (DVDPlayer is based on FFmpeg, so if the codec is supported by libavformat and libavcodec in FFmpeg then the chance is that XBMC will be able to play it if you add the audio extension to AdvancedSettings.xml), however is should be noted here that as DVDPlayer is not designed for pure audio-playback you will loose many unique playback advantages/features that PAPlayer has).

* AAC aka LC-AAC and also AAC+ aka HE-AAC (needs AACCodec.dll from SVN) Based on faac (see i. below)
* AC3-CDDA (needs AC3Codec.dll from SVN) Based on liba52
* AC3-WAV (needs AC3Codec.dll from SVN) Based on liba52
* AIFF short for Audio Interchange File Format (builtin)
* ALAC aka Apple Lossless (needs AACCodec.dll from SVN) Based on alac
* APE aka Monkey's Audio (needs MACDll.dll from SVN) Based on MAC (see ii. below)
* DTS-CDDA (needs DCACodec.dll from SVN) Based on libdca (see iii. below)
* DTS-WAV (needs DCACodec.dll from SVN) Based on libdca (see iii. below)

DCACodec.dll will not be install with Dharma, SVN is not available anymore and I was not able to find this dll in the web.

Ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No DTS wav output after upgrade to version 100