[LINUX] [LIVE] Build help - XMAS morning went awry
Made a list for the family to go off of, but the motherboard went out of stock and I had to return everything else I had on the list. So now I have a case with no guts and thought I'd get to stay up installing XBMCbuntu watching HULU desktop and miscellaneous rips on my unRaid server on the living room TV instead of in a computer chair in the office.

In the past, I've installed XBMCbuntu on an old HP slimline s7220n with a geForce 5200 that was able to play DVD rips and huludesktop POORLY but music really well. I even tried to ignorantly play a blueray rip to no avail (duh). So I decided to scrap that computer and upgrade utilizing the Christmas cheer from the family. So, I would like to have the build be able to do all of the previously mentioned without breaking a sweat.

Right now, I have about $200 to work with, a hard drive (sorry, no SSD just yet), and this CASE. I had initially wanted to use an i3 and utilize the H55 chipset, upgrading to the GT430 later, but today have started to consider going the AMD route and get the GT430 now. Below are the options I've come up with. Please critique.

RAM for either setup:
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) ($25.99)

Option INTEL:
Intel i3 ($114.99)
Mobo One - GIGABYTE ($79.99) or with Open Box BIOSTAR ($49.99)

Option AMD:
Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2 ($67.99)
Mobo - GIGABYTE ($64.99)
Video - EVGA GeForce GT430 ($69.99)

These all fall within a reasonable threshold of the $200 I'm looking for with rebates, etc. I want to save as much as possible, as I'd like to buy a couple Hard Drives for the unRaid server.
First of all- I love that case.

As far as what path, I vote AMD. That case has WAY better cooling than most HTPC cases. I usually push for i3 for its low heat, but in that case even a hotter AMD would be fine. Heck I used a old 939 x2 in mine for over a year with no problems.

Reason I say AMD is because a GT430 is the best HTPC card on the market (so you don't want to skimp there) and I personally will never buy another non-Gigabyte mobo ever again. Put it all together and the second build is a better HTPC.

I really like that case as well and was considering it for my build. I have been leaning towards that same Gigabyte mobo and i3 all along... any reason why I should go with the AMD/Gigabyte mobo poofyhairguy?
I think poofy was just suggesting the AMD in my case as I'm sticking to a $200 budget. If you were looking at maintaining a low heat profile, the i3 would be a better bet, along with the GT430. In my case, I need to use the AMD with the GT430 to hit my price point, which will be ok with heat due to the case.

In my extremely humble opinion, either will do for the case so long as both use the GT430 as it's the uber-card at this time.
My Christmas morning went awry too. The wife got me a nice Silverstone case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811163166 to replace the crappy one I was using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811154087

I forgot to ask Santa for a power supply so I was sorely disappointed when I realized that the Silverstone case took a normal sized PSU and the one I had in the crappy case would not work. Anyway, I purchased a new Corsair PSU and it should be delivered today. Can't wait to get everything back together. I've been sorely missing my XBMC rig.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
MikSo Wrote:I think poofy was just suggesting the AMD in my case as I'm sticking to a $200 budget. If you were looking at maintaining a low heat profile, the i3 would be a better bet, along with the GT430. In my case, I need to use the AMD with the GT430 to hit my price point, which will be ok with heat due to the case.

That is 100% correct. Mini ITX= i3. Micro ATX = AMD or i3

htpc guy Wrote:My Christmas morning went awry too. The wife got me a nice Silverstone case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811163166 to replace the crappy one I was using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811154087

I forgot to ask Santa for a power supply so I was sorely disappointed when I realized that the Silverstone case took a normal sized PSU and the one I had in the crappy case would not work. Anyway, I purchased a new Corsair PSU and it should be delivered today. Can't wait to get everything back together. I've been sorely missing my XBMC rig.

Ah! Good to know that case takes a regular PSU. I am either getting that Silverstone and this PSU... or this Antec Case! Big Grin
@bmcclure937 - That's the Antec case that I've got sitting in the living room like Frankenstein waiting for his nervous system to be installed.

Now that I've narrowed down to AMD, does anyone believe that there is noticeable performance difference between these two processors (3.2Ghz and 2.8Ghz).
bmcclure937 Wrote:Ah! Good to know that case takes a regular PSU. I am either getting that Silverstone and this PSU... or this Antec Case! Big Grin

I don't want to hyjack this thread. Come over here if you want info on my build w/ the Silverstone case.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85415
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
MikSo Wrote:Now that I've narrowed down to AMD, does anyone believe that there is noticeable performance difference between these two processors (3.2Ghz and 2.8Ghz).

The 3.2 is enough to playback HD content completely on its own- only really matters if you want Netflix as it will use that power.

I will probably be running the huludesktop, and not really concerned with picture quality with hulu as the majority of the use will be for streaming movie content. My understanding is that Netflix is a no-go anyway right now with linux (Did you mean HULU? I know it's a CPU Hog as well). Really looking to save a few more dollars using the 2.8Ghz instead of the 3.2Ghz as I'm trying to find an IR receiver.

Poofy, have you had luck with any other IR devices besides the OVU400103?
MikSo Wrote:I will probably be running the huludesktop, and not really concerned with picture quality with hulu as the majority of the use will be for streaming movie content. My understanding is that Netflix is a no-go anyway right now with linux (Did you mean HULU? I know it's a CPU Hog as well). Really looking to save a few more dollars using the 2.8Ghz instead of the 3.2Ghz as I'm trying to find an IR receiver.

Yeah I meant Hulu. But honestly, it isn't a huge difference. Get the 2.8GHZ one.

Quote:Poofy, have you had luck with any other IR devices besides the OVU400103?

That HP IR device is just needed for a Harmony. If you plan to use a Harmony, nothing else works as well.

But if you are looking for something that includes a remote this is fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

I will say though its IR receiver is NOT good for universals like the Harmony, so only get that if you need a remote. Otherwise get on ebay.

If I'm looking to save money, and not interested in 3D video, is the GT430 necessary, or can I go for the 210 (or 220)?
MikSo Wrote:If I'm looking to save money, and not interested in 3D video, is the GT430 necessary, or can I go for the 210 (or 220)?

That would be fine. The GT210 handles 1080p fine, from what I hear Cool
I'll need to do more research, but this card is less expensive than the one I was looking at. I might find a cpu/vga motherboard that fits the bill better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] [LIVE] Build help - XMAS morning went awry0