[RELEASE] The Escapist (Video) Plugin
You should ask error1 who he contacted. He seems to have gotten a response pretty quickly.
I submitted my question through their web form at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/ as a "technical issue" request

The reply I got back came from support[at]escapistmag[dot]com after a couple days.

That reply probably wasn't written by the actual technical staff though, but hopefully they'll be willing to forward you to them.
That's how I contacted them. Got a reply tonight. Things are looking promising - sounds like they're interested in providing premium user authentication as well.
Floppie Wrote:That's how I contacted them. Got a reply tonight. Things are looking promising - sounds like they're interested in providing premium user authentication as well.

That's great news! I look forward to hearing what happens with it.
So, has there been any progress on this? I'm curious to know how things have been going.
Not yet, no - I haven't heard back from my contact there yet. I followed up tonight, so hopefully we'll get somewhere.
Just heard back today. He explained to me how the Flash player (and the Boxee plugin) are retrieving ad info from the ad server. When I'm done work I'll do some packet sniffing to figure out if that will be feasible for me to do entirely in Pythonland - apparently the Boxee plugin is literally opening the page in a browser and expanding the Flash player to fullscreen. Needless to say that's lame and I'm not doing it that way if I can avoid it; I'm confident I can.

He did say that, if there's no easy way for me to handle it all in Pythonland, he'd put me in contact with the advertiser. There's a decent chance they'd be willing to put some code together to make this happen.
Great to hear! I look forward to seeing what you're able to do. I'd really like to go back to being able to use the plugin. It's significantly less awesome to watch stuff on my monitor. Good luck with it!
Agreed. Personally I haven't watched it since the plugin broke =p
good news, thanks a lot.
Will this thread be notified once the plugin is fixed? I want to be sure it's OK so I don't get blocked again from The Escapist.

Thanks!
This is the only thing my xbmc setup is lacking for perfection.

Does this have anything to do with rtmpdump & the librtmp that xbmc uses? I was trying to get the Daily Show and Colbert Report working and all I had to do was replace those files.
Vandetta Wrote:This is the only thing my xbmc setup is lacking for perfection.

Does this have anything to do with rtmpdump & the librtmp that xbmc uses? I was trying to get the Daily Show and Colbert Report working and all I had to do was replace those files.

AFAIK, the Escapist blocks IPs when they detect that their videos are being crawled, because that allows people to watch their content without receiving any advertising. They only support Boxee as a third party viewer.

The problem isn't with the plugin per se, but with the way it builds the video lists. From what I've seen in this thread, the developer is working to make the plugin work in a way that the Escapist can support.
Haven't looked at the script nor do I have any experience with coding for xbmc.

But the script isn't using the rss feed?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/rss/videos/list/1.xml ? How would that be any different than any rss reader?
The difference is that the RSS feeds still direct you to the website and it allows things to play normally, including the ads. What the script does at the moment is pull a direct feed of the video, bypassing all advertisements and such, which annoyed The Escapist, so they started IP blocking people who were using the script.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] The Escapist (Video) Plugin0