HTPC/NAS Combo
Thanks for all your help guys! I decided to scrap the HTPC/NAS machine and decided to go for two separate boxes especially since the newer Zotac ION motherboards only come with 2 SATA ports...

Any suggestions for a good HTPC? Do you recommend building something with the Zotac Atom motherboard with ION?

Also, for a NAS, do you have any recommended cases? I want something really small and not very large. My roommates had the HP WHS server and I loved their cases. Something like that.

Thanks once again Smile
gain Wrote:Thanks for all your help guys! I decided to scrap the HTPC/NAS machine and decided to go for two separate boxes especially since the newer Zotac ION motherboards only come with 2 SATA ports...

Any suggestions for a good HTPC? Do you recommend building something with the Zotac Atom motherboard with ION?

Also, for a NAS, do you have any recommended cases? I want something really small and not very large. My roommates had the HP WHS server and I loved their cases. Something like that.

Thanks once again Smile

You made the right decision Smile. I reckon i should leave your next questions to our Resident Hardware Guru Big Grin

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
I personally use FreeNAS (but am currently considering different options as I plan some upgrades for the New Year). FreeNAS can accomplish everything I want, but using the embedded version running from a USB makes it slightly more challenging to install additional packages to handle SABnzbd, Couch Potato, and Sick Beard...

The major reason I love FreeNAS is that it serves its purpose, and does it well. I can choose from a variety of options to serve my content in my environment. It works very nicely as media server. I am running 3x1TB disks in a RAIDZ (ZFS RAID5) configuration with another 1TB standalone disk. [planning to increase storage soon]. Using this setup, the RAIDZ protects against a single disk failure and I can rebuild the zpool upon replacing a failed disk.

My FreeNAS uses a single-core AMD CPU and the Antec 300 case. This setup offers great airflow and room for disks. I stuck with a modular CPU to keep cable clutter to a minimum. If I had to do it again I would probably go with an ION configuration, but those were relatively new at the time and I could more easily afford the setup with my single core AMD. FreeNAS does not need a beefy CPU and I am running a headless box connected to my nerwork via GigE. I configure all services through the WebGUI and do not have to mess with VPN or attaching a display to make changes.

Works like a charm! May consider trying UnRAID or Ubuntu as a server... but am not sure my plans. I may upgrade my storage to 4x2TB disks and change the platform at the same time. Backing up my data on the FreeNAS/converting my RAIDZ (ZFS) to the new platforms would seem to be the most difficult step in the process. Ubuntu can support the RAIDZ using FUSE but I am not sure how I would move to UnRAID.
I decided to go with a dual system based on reviews from SmallNetBuilder and SilentPCReview.

Here is the system I decided on:

Intel i3-540
Scythe SCSMZ-2000 CPU Cooler
Zotac H55ITX-C-E mobo
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 F3-10666CL8D-4GBBRM
Asus ENGT430/DI/1GD3(LP) GPU
WD Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 280GB 2.5"
4 x WD AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB
SeaSonic SS-560KM PSU
Zalman Fan Mate 2
Lian Li PC-Q08B case

Micro-ITX case with 6 x 3.5" bays
Mobo has 6 SATA connections
2.5" drive for OS (Ubuntu server 10.10)
PSU is larger than necessary but smallest I could find that was both modular and had 6+ SATA connections
6TB of storage (RAID5) expandable to 8
3D viewing via the GT 430 GPU

There are a lot of good reviews on running Ubuntu server 10.10 for NAS and it runs XBMC and Sabnzbd without issue.

This system is larger (14" x 9" x 11") than a standalone HTPC but very space friendly.

The concerns raised about running a dual system seem to be that it is hard to get a quiet setup that is also energy efficient (i.e. low heat generation). Unfortunately, I can't answer those yet. The Zalman and Kil-a-watt don't arrive until Thursday. Once I have the case closed up I'll report back on both items but I am very optimistic based on reviews on the components from the websites above.

I decided on the dual system to minimize the number of computers in my apartment. This was also a more cost efficient setup. I'll update the thread once I have the other info.

-Kendall
vinistois Wrote:Either you have bad luck with Hard drives, or a smoking hot gpu. My system has been running just fine for several months, and I'm certain it will continue to!

You must be one of the few lucky ones who never had a hard drive fail on them. From my experience with hard drives ... it is always a matter of WHEN rather than IF.

Most of the time we upgrade the hard drives before they fail but keep enough of them for long enough and you will surely join the club. I've been there too many times and I wouldn't store anything today without the minimum of protection.
vinistois Wrote:ummmm gpu heat from an HD5450? Are you kidding me? The heatsink isn't even luke-warm when playing 1080p.

Anything consistently over 40c will damage HDs after a while with not enough cooling.

Quote:My system has been running just fine for several months, and I'm certain it will continue to!

I used to be cocky like you, thinking I had the NAS/HTPC tiger by the tail more than once.

I hope for your sake I am wrong and you never have problems. I would still keep a close eye on your SMART data if I was you though...

gain Wrote:Any suggestions for a good HTPC? Do you recommend building something with the Zotac Atom motherboard with ION?

I LOVE Zotac ION mobos.

Quote:Also, for a NAS, do you have any recommended cases? I want something really small and not very large.

How many total drives do you expect to have?

kendallp Wrote:The concerns raised about running a dual system seem to be that it is hard to get a quiet setup that is also energy efficient (i.e. low heat generation).

Yep. Watch your temps. If your hard drives live above 40 degrees C while in use, replace that top 120mm fan in the case with a constant fan like an Antec Tri-Cool.

Good case choice though.

poofyhairguy Wrote:I LOVE Zotac ION mobos.
Right now I am debating between a HD-ID11 or custom building a Zotac HTPC. I think I am going to go with the HD-ID11 path because the cases are smaller. However, after reading the thread about the cheapest HTPC possible, I am waiting incase something gets announced soon Tongue

poofyhairguy Wrote:How many total drives do you expect to have?

3-4. I have been searching newegg but I cannot find something that is small enough. I really want it to be as high as a foot and under 12" deep as well. The WHS cases are pretty slick.
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySav...D=19049627

Think you guys can check that out? I have both the NAS and the HTPC in there. I have a laptop hard drive (just 5400RPM) for the Zotac as well so I don't need to buy anything extra.

Just incase that does not work, I have the links here -- http://pastebin.com/Dut4dyQK

The first 2 are for the HTPC while the next 5 are for the NAS.
I have been using that mobo for about 3 months and its worked great for me (Win 7/torrent/server). I will be switching to unraid when I get some 2TB drives. I think your choices look fine.
Thought I should share something here.

http://www.cheetahdeals.com/Acer_Aspire_...0w.022.htm

Even though it is a WHS box which most people here don't like, you can install FreeNAS or unRaid on it. It comes with a 2TB drive (which is $70) and a really nice 4bay case. If you are building a miniITX NAS, it may be cheaper to go along this route. You get hot swap drives, you get a small case (which was important for me) and you get it for under $200 (taking the drive into account). A miniITX cass that is the same size is going to cost you somewhere between $180-200, add a motherboard, CPU and memory and you are at $300. With the hard drive, total is approximately $350-400.

http://www.cheetahdeals.com/Acer_Aspire_...02.079.htm

Another good deal here.
gain Wrote:https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySav...D=19049627

Think you guys can check that out? I have both the NAS and the HTPC in there. I have a laptop hard drive (just 5400RPM) for the Zotac as well so I don't need to buy anything extra.

Just incase that does not work, I have the links here -- http://pastebin.com/Dut4dyQK

The first 2 are for the HTPC while the next 5 are for the NAS.

Looks good, except geez that Chenbo is a lot for only a few slots.

kendallp Wrote:I'll update the thread once I have the other info.

I got all of the items in but have been too busy to get everything installed. Also can't seem to get lm-sensors working with my mobo and GPU so I might be stuck with kill-a-watt reading and BIOS temps.

Hopefully by this weekend.

-Kendall

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC/NAS Combo0