is direct audio passthru only working in 2.0 or am i doing something silly?
im running Dharma pvr build on win7 with coax digital out

when i run live tv, i get amp display saying direct multichannel

when i play bluray *.mkv i get amp saying "stereo DTS or AC3" for all *.mkvs tested

the debug log shows stream is 5.1 dts, yet shows audio playback as 2.0

i think ive tried all combinations for audio settings in system/audio menu

thanks in advance,
Dam0

full debug (i had to edit out egp data) http://pastebin.com/SBPvXaYP

short section showing only logs relevant i think http://pastebin.com/RYFYf5Z7
BUMP

i have installed powerdvd to work out if my windows drivers are set correctly, and the amp shows multichannel sources as playing back with all channels available.

thanks in advance,
Dam0
I have a onboard ALC887 with optical output. I can not get 5.1 passthru wih my 2.55 drivers from Realtek, what kind of drivers are you using. It does playback DD and DTS, but only 2.0

I have tried to playback 5.1 DD using AC3 filter, but I need to set it manualy to only 96kb/s for it to play all 6 channels. If I do not do this, the sound cuts off every now-and-then. The sound is pretty bad using 96kb/s, but Pro Logic is not the best option either.

You could try this file and check your speaker output correctly: Test AC3 2.0
The debug log shows XBMC is definitely doing passthrough, I wonder if the drivers are decoding the ac3/dts.
thankyou for the reply bob1, but in the final line of my shorter pastebin link, it says

42.16:18:37 T:3988 M:603881472 NOTICE: running thread: CDVDPlayerAudio:Tonguerocess()
43.16:18:37 T:3988 M:603881472 NOTICE: Creating audio device with codec id: 86021, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, pass-through

so doesnt that mean xbmc is downmixing to 2.0?

@Torroa, if you are running win7 or vista, have you tried to let windows determine latest driver for your sound chip?

i have 3 x media pcs, 2 x MB toslink, and 1 x MB Coax, never had an issue with getting 5.1 out of them b4 now.

hope this may help somewhat?

thanks in advance,
Dam0
Dam0 Wrote:so doesnt that mean xbmc is downmixing to 2.0?

No, that's just how you have to open the soundcard for passthrough as far as I know.
@Dam0

I am using the latest drivers from Realtek. The control panel only shows 2 channels output, and passthrough only plays front left and right channels. Using the test file, the other 4 channels are silent.
That's very strange. The device is correctly opened in passthrough mode.

Try the official Dharma version, without PVR. What kind of receiver do you have?
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
receiver is Onkyo, few years old now, but happily plays same content using powerdvd with multichannel using the same pc.

i had installed officlai dharma, and then ran tv version over it. andother strange thing is, that live tv is output as multichannel?i will install offfical dharma over top and report back

@Torroa, does your audio setup have HD Audio option under devices? i thunk you have to select that instead of your AC97 device for output?
regards,
Dam0
@Dam0; Yes, only HD Audio is enabled. Should be no problem running 7.1 audio using analogue out. AC3 and DTS is also enabled using spdif out, but I still only get 2.0 output from my ALC887 device
just noticed this gem in trac today...

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/35739/trunk

says fixes bitstreaming for some brands of amp.

exactlty how is bitstreaming different to passthru?

regards,
Dam0
Dam0 Wrote:exactlty how is bitstreaming different to passthru?

Same thing.
so maybe my problem has been fixed in trac recently, fingers crossed

Dam0
it seems the audio patch has not been applied to the unofficial builds :-(

Dam0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
is direct audio passthru only working in 2.0 or am i doing something silly?0