NFS or SMB
For wireless shares, does NFS offer any advantage over smb?
Tried NFS, and while as others said it is faster, over a gigabit LAN it makes no difference for streaming files. SMB was just much easier for me to implement on non-unix boxes (Windows). Cant hurt for you to try both though I suppose...
poofyhairguy Wrote:I just switched from NFS to SMB for easier library syncing. Even the largest files I have play fine over SMB.

How does using SMB make library syncing easier... care to expand on this? Wink
mr_raider Wrote:For wireless shares, does NFS offer any advantage over smb?

Thats a good question. I would like to know as well. I cant stream the killa.sampla.x264.mkv over wireless with SMB. Never tried it with NFS.
FishOil Wrote:Thats a good question. I would like to know as well. I cant stream the killa.sampla.x264.mkv over wireless with SMB. Never tried it with NFS.

I guess my SD DVD rips will have no issues.
FishOil Wrote:There is no configuration / setup. Maybe my setup is somehow unique but I doubt it. FreeNAS on one end and XBMC on the other. FreeNAS you just click a couple of buttons.

You left that part out. Configuring Samba Server by hand (or by swat, or webmin, or by...) is a biatch.

If people are sharing stuff on their Linux desktop, they do have to deal with that.

If they're coming from a NAS box, FreeNAS, or NexentaStor it should be that easy.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:You left that part out. Configuring Samba Server by hand (or by swat, or webmin, or by...) is a biatch.

If people are sharing stuff on their Linux desktop, they do have to deal with that.

If they're coming from a NAS box, FreeNAS, or NexentaStor it should be that easy.

The server end is something that should have been done by the time you install XBMC and not part of the XBMC setup and not exclusive to XBMC. That was my point. XBMC works out of the box without any setup via SMB. In about 60 seconds you can have your source added and being scanned.
bmcclure937 Wrote:How does using SMB make library syncing easier... care to expand on this? Wink

Because on all my HTPCs (even the ones running Windows) when I use SMB all my paths are the same, so database syncing works.

Not only does SMB pass the "Avatar Test" (aka stream the meanest Blu Ray rip known to man), but recently it even passed my "3D Avatar Test." I mean, if SMB can stream a 3D Avatar ISO without stutter, there isn't a media file on the planet it can't stream.

FishOil Wrote:Thats a good question. I would like to know as well. I cant stream the killa.sampla.x264.mkv over wireless with SMB. Never tried it with NFS.

Why streaming over wireless sucks is a whole nother thread!
Laugh

Nobody's saying "SMB sucks for this", folks. There are studies that detail the relative performances (http://www.hob-techtalk.com/2009/03/09/n...fs-aka-smb), but there are several points that have been put forward for NFS:

* In a *nix-only environment, NFS has a clear edge in ease of setup, transparency to the client (XBMC just sees a local filesystem), and performance
* In a *nix-only environment, autofs+NFS is a spectacularly easy way to go especially if you have devices that connect/disconnect from the local network a lot
* Setting up SMB server in *nix is not the easiest thing in the world, especially if the user is relatively new to *nix

That's it. No dissing SMB.
poofyhairguy Wrote:Why streaming over wireless sucks is a whole nother thread!
Laugh

What network setup would you recommend for a Nettop and a file server located in different floors of a house then? I think I'm stuck with wireless, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
poofyhairguy Wrote:BI mean, if SMB can stream a 3D Avatar ISO without stutter, there isn't a media file on the planet it can't stream.

I would love to know the size of that ISO! Nerd

Ninjahblu Wrote:What network setup would you recommend for a Nettop and a file server located in different floors of a house then? I think I'm stuck with wireless, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

LAN over power? I have heard mixed reviews about the Western Digital and Netgear solutions... I guess 802.11n 5.4GHz would not be too bad.

But the absolute best for streaming 1080p (high bitrate) is a pure wired LAN connection if possible!
It's pretty easy.

Unix environment: NFS over Samba. As pointed out before, unless you have something like FreeNAS on the server end, you'll have to set up Samba yourself, and that's a lot more work than settings up NFS v3. NFS v4 might require a bit more work depending on the distro you use. Still, Samba was designed with Windows-Linux interoperability in mind, in a Unix environment it's redundant. NFS should be your first choice.

Mixed environment: Samba, easy. I have no experience with NFS implementations for Windows, but the 'Unix Services for Windows' Microsoft offers provide NFS functionality if I'm not mistaken; don't know how well that plays out though.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
ANyone try to set up autofs with samba in Maverick? Something seems to be broken. I can mount samba shares manually or thorugh nautilus and xbmc, but now autofs.
poofyhairguy Wrote:the "Avatar Test" (aka stream the meanest Blu Ray rip known to man)
I've seen you throw this around without any hard numbers, simply suggesting that because Avatar fills a blu-ray it's therefore high bitrate. A six-hour lower bitrate movie could fill a blu-ray, too, no? Off the top of my head, I would think the 8K version of Baraka would have a much higher average bitrate than Avatar, with crazy spikes at that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS or SMB0