Zotac vs Apple TV device
I am trying to choose the best hardware to run XBMC. I have done a little research and have decided that there are basically two devices that I am considering. Apply TV Gen 1 and Zotac MAG HD-ND01. I really want to know other peoples opinions on both. If you have a preference... Why?

Network connectivity is not an issue. I have many options.
If I go with the Zotac I will probably go ahead and buy a Harmony 300 Remote, but any suggestions is also appreciated.

I am looking for a small device, good price(but not cheep), high quality with little to no maintenance. I can handle technical setup initially, I just don't want it to turn into one of those things where when I am out of town the wife and kids call constantly asking how to watch a show.

I am already running XBMC on a PC in one room with HDMI connection to a 32" 1080i flat tv. Using Droid Remote, Media is accessed via HP MediaSmart Home Server. It rocks I love it!

I apologize in advance if there is a thread that already discusses this. If so please respond with the URL.
The Zotac ION:

- The ION decoding capabilities are much better than the Crystal HD card ones, more robust. I have a ION device and I haven't yet found a movie it won't play...
- New Vs 2nd Hand. Right now, I don't think you can get a new 1st gen apple tv, and I prefer to avoid used items. That's of course very personal.
- General: it seems the apple tv has a limited amout of memory, which is an issue with some skins. The processor isn't also much more powerful than the Dual Core Atoms, so the Zotac wins.
- Setup: the Zotac will be easier to deal with, it's a much more "open" product the any apple device.

Last one: there are some similar items to the Zotac one from the same vendor or others. Asrock, Acer, Asus, Jetway and Zotac come in mind.
The AppleTV only wins on cost and the ability to hook up to a older TV with component in (aka no HDMI ports). If none of those things apply, any ION system is a better experience.

I would say the Zotac is the better option for your two choices.

I had the 1st gen ATV and it doesn't compare to my new Ion 2.

You should chose Zotac, and if it is available in your Country you should chose the Zotac Zbox HD-ND22 , since this model has an dual core celeron which is much better performance than a dual atom.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1069-page1.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac vs Apple TV device0