[Freeze] Playback stops randomly while playing video (interface still accessible)
Hey.

I've had XBMC installed for a couple of months now, tried all the Dharma RC's and the new XBMC 10.0. It worked fine, until I reinstalled Windows 7 and installed it again.

Now, almost all the time when I play movies in XBMC the video just freezes (I've had debug logging active and CPU usage isn't altered during this, it stays the same) after a minute or so the playback just continues like nothing happened.

The only thing I've done or changed is DXVA2 active or inactive, it still happens. I've reinstalled it a couple of times since this and it still acts the same way.

During the "freezing", the interface of XBMC is still accessible and I can go on and change stuff but playing or pausing doesn't react until some process has been processed and then it starts itself (unless I press pause, though nothing happens then)

I checked the time last time it happened and the only thing in the .log file that looked "suspicious" or like an error message related at that specific time was "CWinEventsWin32::WndProcWindow lost focus", like it "Lost focus" on the playback or something.

Will try again tomorrow and reproduce it, check time and post the log file and see if someone can find what this might be.

If someone has any ideas how I can try to fix this, or get to know the cause of this please help.

I haven't had the time to install much since I reinstalled Windows 3 days ago and it started happening right after. So if there's something missing, something that collides with XBMC I don't know what it could be.
Please read: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
A debug log is needed to help you any further.
Log:
http://pastebin.com/Q2Yvjs6X

The error just occured 00:00, or 12:00 AM it just stopped after testing a file. Interface still active, everything works fine except playback which just continues a minute or two after it stopped (I can't force it to play by pausing and unpausing or anything)

Tested on XBMC Dharma RC2, Tested on XBMC 10.0 - Same thing happened.
Same as http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=89250
Interesting.
I find that a similiar thing happened in VLC, so maybe it's not related. But it started happening when I installed XBMC and "nothing else" was installed.

What might be the problem then? Some codecs built in to Windows that is bugged, broken? Like I said, this started happening after I've reinstalled Windows, Updated Windows, Installed Visual C# and then XBMC from scratch. Tried to play a few videos and this happened. It hasn't happened before.

It must be something in the system that's wrong and not XBMC, or maybe XBMC was the cause of this to happen?

Any ideas, since it happens in more than one program?
This could be some IO scheduler issue, or some broken hardware/driver.
It doesn't have to be a broken harddrive, I've seen a wifi card cause issues with playback once, and it wasn't even used, just having it plugged in was enough.
It seems that one of my memory modules had alot of errors on it, but it's weird because it happened after I reinstalled Windows. It shouldn't happen that way, because it happened instantly after installation and it worked just before installation.
You can expect pretty much anything with broken memory, I find it strange that you didn't get any crashes.
Still, it seems odd that it occured after such a trivial event like reinstalling the system. It must've happened while I was using Windows and that it somehow adapted to it, until I reinstalled it again. Weird. Anyway, glad it wasn't XBMC Smile I have to say though that XBMC handled it best of all other mediaplayers, it happened less frequently with XBMC and more often with other software.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Freeze] Playback stops randomly while playing video (interface still accessible)0