Higher system requirements with Dharma?
Question 
Been using xbmc for a very long time now, the past couple of years on the same htpc which has a intel core2 6600 2.4ghz cpu and a radeon hd 2600xt gpu running on win xp.

playback of just about any file was flawless with xbmc 9.11, but now with dharma it stutters on 1080p x264 files in scenes with higher complexity/movement. the exact same files still play just fine with 9.11 (got both installed in portable mode so they can be tried separately).

Are there any specific new requirements for dharma? I'd like to switch to dharma, but currently have to continue using 9.11 as proper playback is still more important for movie watching than nice new features...

What I already tried changing around are the hw acc settings, but this doesn't make any difference as I guess it isn't supported on my somewhat old system -- but as it worked fine without hw acc in 9.11 that shouldn't be the problem.

any suggestions other than replacing the hw (which I can't do at this time)?
I recall reading a dev on here stating that the multithread patch that they used to apply to ffmpeg in 9.11 can no longer be applied to ffmpeg in dharma which explains that behavior. I've noticed the same thing with my E8500 occasionally.

Edit - It's in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=82390

bobo1on1 says "Dharma doesn't have multithreaded h264 decoding, the 9.11 release does.
The multithreaded h264 was an unofficial ffmpeg patch, and since ffmpeg did a major rewrite on the h264 decoder the multithreaded patch can't be applied anymore."
ok, thanks for the info -- that explains the behavior i observed.

unfortunately that doesn't sound like something that will change, which means I have to update my hw for dharma.

any particular suggestions for the simplest upgrade required for optimal dharma performance? Some cheap current passive cooling gfx card would suffice?

Swapping the gfx is quickly done, but from what I read hw acc will not work with win xp, so I will have to install win7 as well (which means I have to re-setup my whole system, IR scripts, etc). I guess there's no other way..?
You could move to a faster CPU too if you want to stay on XP. My E8500 plays just about everything with no stuttering at stock speeds and is easily overclocked. Win7 and a GFX card that can do DXVA2 is your other option as you said.
I just did a search on Amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-HD...B0036ORMXU

It's silent (fanless); has VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs; and has HD audio output over HDMI (you might not need it now, but it'll be there if you do). And only $55. After $15 rebate it's $40.

I just bought a fanless Zotac GT 430 based card a few weeks ago for about $70 after rebate. If I had it to do over again I might've gone with the HD5450.

Ray
yeah, the expense for a 5450 is negligible, but I just don't have the time now to re-setup the whole system with win7 -- that will have to wait a couple months. in the meantime i'll just continue using the 9.11 release, and I know what to do once I have some free time...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Higher system requirements with Dharma?0