CrystalHD driver + sleep on OSX
Since one year I've been following this incredible CrystalHD Status watching Davilla nailing all the bugs one after another.

There's just one bug left:
1) The CrystalHD driver will prevent sleep on OSX and Linux platforms, the OSX driver has power handling disabled until the broadcom code suspend/resume is working again. If you need to sleep, unload the driver.

Do you know if this is possible to fix or it is unpatchable?
I'm just curious and it's not a big deal for me; I'm using AppleTV+CrystalHD since feb 2010 with success and it's totally awesome.
gangsta75 Wrote:Since one year I've been following this incredible CrystalHD Status watching Davilla nailing all the bugs one after another.

There's just one bug left:
1) The CrystalHD driver will prevent sleep on OSX and Linux platforms, the OSX driver has power handling disabled until the broadcom code suspend/resume is working again. If you need to sleep, unload the driver.

Do you know if this is possible to fix or it is unpatchable?
I'm just curious and it's not a big deal for me; I'm using AppleTV+CrystalHD since feb 2010 with success and it's totally awesome.

I thought we could fix that before Dharma, but no luck. There are new patches for it that have not hit git/svn yet. It would be a driver/lib update as XBMC already knows to unload crystalhd when not using it.
davilla Wrote:There are new patches for it that have not hit git/svn yet. It would be a driver/lib update as XBMC already knows to unload crystalhd when not using it.

It sounds promising Big Grin , so I'm going to keep that link on my radar.
Thank you again for this incredible work, really really appreciated. Nod
Thumbs Up 
gangsta75 Wrote:Thank you again for this incredible work, really really appreciated. Nod

Any update on the sleep issueHuh
nozomi Wrote:Any update on the sleep issueHuh

no.
I've hacked the linux driver for a bit and for me suspend now works it seems. Maybe a bit more gifted hacker can figure out the real issue here and correct it.

A little background (kernel 3.0.0):
I found out that in crystalhd_cmds.c crystalhd_resume get's an uninitialized ctx->hw_ctx . I have no clue why yet.

So I added:

Code:
if(ctx->hw_ctx == NULL) {
                ctx->hw_ctx = (struct crystalhd_hw*)kmalloc(sizeof(struct crystalhd_hw), GFP_KERNEL);
                if(ctx->hw_ctx != NULL)
                        memset(ctx->hw_ctx, 0, sizeof(struct crystalhd_hw));
                else
                        return BC_STS_ERROR;

}

Before the crystalhd_hw_resume. This did not work entirely. I got a Failed to Start Device error for obvious reasons (struct not initalized). So I added crystalhd_hw_open(ctx->hw_ctx, ctx->adp). This got me a bit further, but XBMC switched to software rendering and the driver complained at the console about something not being valid. So I looked at the init function for the hardware and decided to add crystalhd_hw_close(ctx->hw_ctx, ctx->adp); which seems to do the trick. I did have to set the ctx->state to BC_LINK_INVALID; to make sure it did not complain about a wrong state as well.

Finally this is my 'working' function (not it isn't really clean):

Code:
BC_STATUS crystalhd_resume(struct crystalhd_cmd *ctx)
{
        BC_STATUS sts = BC_STS_SUCCESS;

if(ctx->hw_ctx == NULL) {
                ctx->hw_ctx = (struct crystalhd_hw*)kmalloc(sizeof(struct crystalhd_hw), GFP_KERNEL);
                if(ctx->hw_ctx != NULL)
                        memset(ctx->hw_ctx, 0, sizeof(struct crystalhd_hw));
                else
                        return BC_STS_ERROR;

}
        crystalhd_hw_open(ctx->hw_ctx, ctx->adp);
        crystalhd_hw_close(ctx->hw_ctx, ctx->adp);
        kfree(ctx->hw_ctx);
        ctx->hw_ctx = NULL;

/*sts = crystalhd_hw_resume(ctx->hw_ctx);*/

if (sts != BC_STS_SUCCESS)
                return sts;

/*bc_cproc_mark_pwr_state(ctx, BC_HW_RESUME); /* Starting resume */

ctx->state = BC_LINK_INVALID;

dev_dbg(chddev(), "crystalhd_resume Success %x\n", ctx->state);

return BC_STS_SUCCESS;
}

Which does a basic re-init of the HW. Use at your own risk and I hope it works for you.

For the osx driver I can see something happening along the same lines. Partial re-init. Haven't tried though.
we are getting somewhere Smile

I'm way to stupid to hack this shit on my own though Sad
Hi all. I'd like to try and persuade someone to fix the power management issue and get the code submitted, accepted and in to release. Is there some form of bounty process I can put on this ? if so how/where do I do it ?

cheers
Simon
It would be great to see it patched; as Davilla said in some posts above, there are already patches that could solve this problem.

All the best
Gangsta75
Any update on this Smile?

Gangsta75

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CrystalHD driver + sleep on OSX1