.mkv question??
Hi All,
Need some advice on an issue?
When streaming large 720p 6 gigs avi files the apple tv play them fine over the wireless network, but when playing .mkv files the same size its barley watchable. I dont think its a network issue (the wireless) as the avi files are fine. Am i missing something?

Would i need to get one of those crystal hd cardsHuh if so does anyone have a how to hardware installtion to these??

1 more thing. When i exit xbmc i lose the menu sounds on the apple tv main menu? this doesnt come back till i reboot the system??

Thanks
jonsonjj Wrote:Hi All,
1 more thing. When i exit xbmc i lose the menu sounds on the apple tv main menu? this doesnt come back till i reboot the system??

I see this same problem myself. Sometimes the AppleTV main menus have sound, and sometimes they don't after running XBMC. Very odd.
MacBook Pro 13", XBMC v12.1
AppleTV, OpenELEC v3.0.1
AppleTV2, Latest iOS
AppleTV3, Latest iOS
hi guys still ahve problems with large mkv's and mp4s especially!
avis (whatever size will play fine)
am i missing something here
it seems as though the apple tv is struggling with processing these files?
do you think moving to linux will help this issue i cant watch half my movies!!!
helppppp or this box is useless!
without a crystal hd card you can forget about playing mkv's. So yes, you need to get one.

Linux also offers better playback, but dont expect full 1080p playback. Some people have acceptable framerates with them, but on the latest release I for one dont. 720p is good though. Drivers should be better once times passes.
So, this means I can watch 720p files (1280x720) as long as they aren`t mkv? I have some HD tv shows from iTunes which play very well (I assume because it`s .m4v)
For any other format I need the crystal hd card?
defcon Wrote:So, this means I can watch 720p files (1280x720) as long as they aren`t mkv? I have some HD tv shows from iTunes which play very well (I assume because it`s .m4v)
For any other format I need the crystal hd card?

The ATV will play back m4v/mp4 720p main profile files just fine. It has problems with most mkv enclosed files which are often at a higher profile. The Crystal HD card let's you deal with those. It is especially efficient under Linux. The OSX version is also good, but not as smooth I have found(subjective). Unfortunately you lose many of the native ATV advantages in moving towards Linux. Given that you can buy a basic mkv media player for $40, it really is debatable whether or not the CHD card is worth the hassle. I have one and it's neat but I only paid $20 for it. They appear to cost more now.

Philip

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.mkv question??0