[Ubuntu 12.04 - Frodo] Video stuttering and High CPU load
Hi,

After some time really happy with my xbmc installation, I'm lately experiencing some performance issues. I don't exactly know when this started, as I only really notice it during HD movie playback. Basically what is happening is that XBMC is most of the time taking all resource it can from my CPU (say 80% to 99%). This is true most of the time according to the debug info, and independant from the activity (browsing menus, playing movie, listening music, etc.). So lately I'm unable to play HD movies without really anoying regular stutterings.
I tried some things like changing the skin or various options I could think of (dirtyregions, video v-sync, post-process, etc.), without any success so far. The problem is slighty less perceptible when I disable video v-sync, but still anoying. During my search, I noticed my log, at least with video v-sync enabled, is full of :
Code:
WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer

So far I'm clueless about what I could do to fix this. According to apt-get I'm on the latest ATI drivers. Same goes for XBMC which I have in Frodo flavor.

Here is some information about the system I'm running :
- XBMC Media Center 12.0 Git:ae08a23 (I'm using the VXBA branch)
- fglrx driver : OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series OpenGL version string: 3.3.11627 Compatibility Profile Context
- Ubuntu 12.04

Thanks for your time, and for that great piece of software
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
In case "latest" means 13.1 this is your problem: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1331794
I'm really not sure how I can check which Catalyst version I have installed... I said the latest, because apt-get upgrade fglrx do not upgrade anything. I tried using the amdcccle command to display the control center. According to that GUI :
* "Version du package du pilote" (the GUI is in french, I'm assuming this is the fglrx version) : 8.96.7-120312a-135598C-ATI. I'm unable to find this version here. My guess would be that I am not on the 13.1 but rather on a 12.x version ;
* 2D driver version : 8.96.4 ;
* Catalyst Control Center : 2.14 ;
* RandR version : 1.3.

Here is a log of a new test I run. I think I changed the option which tells xbmc how to catch up when video and/or sound becomes out of sync. My stuttering issue seams better, even the CPU load is no longer so high. Though I'm still experiencing some stutterings, you'll see there are no longer a shitload of vsync timeouts. I wasn't able to see something relevant in this file...
My guess is an audio problem.
CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity2 - was:79516967.231245, should be:79506506.038567, error:-10461.192678

Set video as master for a/v sync or audio plays around with the clock.
The uploaded debug log is not accessible. Please upload to xbmclogs.com or something similar.
(2013-02-19, 13:47)Kibje Wrote: The uploaded debug log is not accessible. Please upload to xbmclogs.com or something similar.
Yes it is available, but xbmclogs.com is far more convenient.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Tried to upload to xbmclogs, but it's giving me a 413 Request Entity Too Large error... I have tried with pastebin, the log was too large for them too. So, I though I'll go with my own server, were I do not have such limitations, sorry for the inconvience. Though I'm wondering what is leading to people unable to access it as it happened for Kibje...

@FernetMenta : I think I might have been a fool for that test, not sure but I actually think vsync was disabled... I had the refresh rate synced with the video fps enabled, but not the vsync... Now it's too late for me to test again, but I'll provide a new debug log tomorrow. I'll try to test with all available configuration for syncronization (audio clock and so on), just to be sure.

Thanks guys for your time and concern Smile
Did you guys ever make any progress here? I've just switched my hackintosh to an Ubuntu machine, and am trying to get XBMC up and running. I'm getting that same stutter, and a fair amount of instability/crashing.

Debug log
Crashlog

My machine specs:
- XBMC 11.0 Git
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- 3.3GHz x4 Intel i3-3220 CPU
- GEForce 8500GT video card

Also, anybody know a way to minimize/hide XBMC on Ubuntu without shutting it down entirely? On my hackintosh I used Quickeys to create a "Hide-All" shortcut that worked as a workaround to XBMC not having a minimize button, but am not as savvy on Linux yet.
You are running Eden which is unsupported. Update to Frodo.

You are awakening a dead thread, start a new one.
(2013-10-23, 05:57)nickr Wrote: You are running Eden which is unsupported. Update to Frodo.

Thanks, Nickr; I'll start a new thread (sorry - new to this). I've literally spent hours re-coding all of the films in my library (of 600+ films) to be accurately represented. If I change to Frodo, PLEASE tell me that there's a library reference file somewhere that would allow me to migrate that data if I change to Frodo...

(2013-10-23, 05:57)nickr Wrote: Update to Frodo.

Would this do the trick (of not losing library)?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...de_process
There is a very clear link there "What might break...". Click on the link and read it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Ubuntu 12.04 - Frodo] Video stuttering and High CPU load0