Possible to have scraped artwork on SSD/HDD and unRAID?
Hello everyone!

I started a few weeks ago, to turn my Home in a fully automated Media Experience.

Starting of with an unRAID Server and then 3x Openelec.tv XBMC-HTPCs ...

I scraped my whole Media Library with EMManager onto the unRAID Server...

As I am a fan of Speed and Fluidity, I hooked a SSD into my Home Cinema HTPC and recognized a nice speed increase, but now I want more and that leads to my question...

Is it possible to have the Pictures, Extrathumbs etc. (no Trailers or actual video files) on the XBMC SSD? maybe with a link to the unraid server for the actual video and trailer files?

Because this would be an HUGE speed improvement on the skin side??

I hope this is understandeble .. Oo

THX i.A.

Fuddster
I am NO expert in the innerworkings of XBMC but here is what I think:

The extrathumbs are being loaded out of the extrathumbs subfolder in your <movie> folder... As far as I know they are not being cached.
But I think the movieposters or thumbs are being stored in a cachefile in your profile directory. The profile already resides on your SSD.

I feel your pain, I use mostly custom fanart and thumbs as well as extrathumbs that come from various registered coverwebsites around the net.
My extrathumbs are quite large in size too because i display them on a 50inch plasma and want them to look crisp too.

Would be nice if there was the option to manually set location for various art folders?

I think more and more people are buying SSD due to the incredible boost in performance, therefore i think you have a valid point.

What do you guys think? Would it be nice to have an "Art" folder that can be specified in the XBMC settings where artwork is stored in standard folder structure?

ex:
h:\HTPC\Movies\avatar\avatar.mkv ---> is standard and set in the xbmc scraper
and the artwork on an SSD drive (dSmile
d:\htpc\art\avatar\poster.jpg
d:\htpc\art\avatar\avatar-fanart.jpg
d:\htpc\art\avatar\logo.png
d:\htpc\art\avatar\clearart.png
d:\htpc\art\avatar\extrathumbs\thumb1.jpg
d:\htpc\art\avatar\extrafanart\fanart.jpg

Is this what you ment?
Thanks for the reply Gollumscave!

Yes! that is exactly what i ment!

any one else wiht a suggestion or maybe an alternativeHuh

thx i.a

fuddster
I've been doing a little research and I think you should just wait a little longer. I think behind the scenes people are working on MySQL support...
At the moment (AS FAR AS I KNOW) MySQL is supported but only keeps track of your movietitles, watched info, locations etc... The artwork is still locally stored. I think the artwork will eventually be stored in the database as well but I am not sure... lack of time to do proper research...
Is this still the case? i.e. if I have two HD's (1 SSD where XBMC resides, 1 HD for movie storage), and I want to use custom fanart, I have to store this on the storage drive, not the SSD boot drive?
m1keyboy Wrote:Is this still the case? i.e. if I have two HD's (1 SSD where XBMC resides, 1 HD for movie storage), and I want to use custom fanart, I have to store this on the storage drive, not the SSD boot drive?

yes and it will always be the case.
olympia Wrote:yes and it will always be the case.
Thanks for the clarification.

Do you know why? Presumably I'm missing something here - but when fanart is downloaded automatically for me via a scraper, it's stored on the SSD drive. What is it doing that I can't do manually?

Cheers,

Mike.
Yes, you are missing that xbmc is not always loading the artwork from the files accompanied to the media file. Once imported during the initial scan those image files are not getting accessed any more by xbmc.

Both during scraping (with xbmc's scrapers) and importing (from files) xbmc is saving the images in your userdata folder and displaying them from there whenever you access the movie info.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to have scraped artwork on SSD/HDD and unRAID?0