HDMI/LPCM/ATI/Confused!
Question 
Hello and sorry if this is in the wrong section.

At the moment I use:

PC -> HDMI -> TV for video
PC -> Analogue -> Speakers for audio

I have just purchased an amplifier with HDMI and a new speaker set. The new set up should be quite standard using:

PC -> HDMI -> Sony STR DH510 -> TV/Speakers

I have a few questions about this;

1) Will the auto-change-fps-to-match-video-thing still work with the HDMI going into the amp then TV?

2) Is it possible to set XBMC to output audio as LPCM?

3) Are there any other configuration options I should consider for this particular set up?

Sorry if these have been answered elsewhere, I did a search but couldnt really find anything. Also after using WMC/Media Browser for 5 years I am still working out XBMC.

Thanks,

Piers
1) Will the auto-change-fps-to-match-video-thing still work with the HDMI going into the amp then TV?
Yes, unless your amp has any of it's own issues\limitations with any framerates used.

2) Is it possible to set XBMC to output audio as LPCM?
Yes, just set your audio to HDMI output and make sure everything is setup correctly and it will output as LPCM as standard. LPCM is pretty much the defacto standard for passing via HDMI, for anything other than bitstream audio tracks.

3) Are there any other configuration options I should consider for this particular set up?
If your HDMI audio drivers are installed, set the output to WASAPI rather than directsound, as then you should get bitstream for files with DD(AC3) audio or DTS audio.
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
Thanks for the reply, the spec for the amp is:

1080p YES
1080/24p YES
Deep Color YES
x.v.Colour (xvYCC) YES
A V SYNC (Variable Fixed) YES (Fixed)
Sampling Frequency (96kHz 48kHz) 48kHz
Upscaling (HDMI™) YES
Video Down Converter (Digital Analog) NO
Video Up Converter (S Component HDMI™) NO
In most cases you should be fine, hardware limitations tended to affect earlier HDMI units more than current ones.
Ie the chipset used'd support 24fps, but not support less common ones like 23.976fps, which could intermittant handshake issues etc

You won't know if it works perfectly unless you try, or you're lucky enough it says in the manual, as a lot of manuals dont bother listing this stuff as they often dont think about PCs which obviously tend to support quite a range of refresh rates at multiple resolutions, whereas DVD/Blu-Ray players tend to be a little more restrictive.
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
the only one thing I can pick up straight away is the amp. I have the STR-DH500 and it only suppourts HDMI passthrough for audio, not quite sure about the STR-DH510 though. In essence this means that audio cant be read from the HDMi cable and you will have to run a secondary optical cable for the sound.

EDIT: Ok after a quick look it seems the STR-DH510 does do Audio and video via HDMI. You can ignore my post now Smile
Soutie Wrote:the only one thing I can pick up straight away is the amp. I have the STR-DH500 and it only suppourts HDMI passthrough for audio, not quite sure about the STR-DH510 though. In essence this means that audio cant be read from the HDMi cable and you will have to run a secondary optical cable for the sound.

EDIT: Ok after a quick look it seems the STR-DH510 does do Audio and video via HDMI. You can ignore my post now Smile

Wow, I read that and my heart sank, then I read the last bit and now its ok lol.

Cheers for the reply.

edit: what do you think of your amp? Are you happy with it?
Yeah I love it, other than the HDMI passthrough that is. I'm running running Sony SS-FCR5000 Speakers and a SA-W2500 Sub through optical and the sound quality is exceptional for the price of the unit.
Soutie Wrote:Yeah I love it, other than the HDMI passthrough that is. I'm running running Sony SS-FCR5000 Speakers and a SA-W2500 Sub through optical and the sound quality is exceptional for the price of the unit.

Dont suppose you know if there is a way for the amp to automatically take 2 channel audio and upmix to 5.1? I have looked through the booklet but the english is ...well its not very good.

Smile
Most modern AV amps do. How good it is however is something else. Some music I've got sounds good being upmixed, but other stuff sounds terrible, so I tend to stick with straight 2 channel these days.

Piers Wrote:Dont suppose you know if there is a way for the amp to automatically take 2 channel audio and upmix to 5.1? I have looked through the booklet but the english is ...well its not very good.

Smile

There should be (If the same as the DH500) a button on the remote labled "A.F.D" this button should do exactly what you are looking for. This button allows you to select the decoding mode for a stereo input and output it as multichannel sound. press it repetedly to select the sound field you want.

EDIT: Perhaps the "Soundfield +-" Button on the remote

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI/LPCM/ATI/Confused!0