Splitting up Movie Types
I was wondering if it would be possible to 'split' different movie types into specific groups, and, for example, add a new Main Menu icon that pointed to them. For example, I'd love to have a Main Menu item titled "Rick's Movies" where I can keep my horror/thriller/non-family friendly flicks away from younger eyes. I'm not looking to lock them away, just keep them out of the main rotation. I figured it *might* be possible, if I could segregate them in their own subdirectory. I'm pretty sure I can do it using the "Profiles", and thus configure the 'Family' profile to add only the appropriate subdirectories to the library, and then my 'Personal' profile to show all subdirectories for movies.

Is there another way? I can see many applications for this - genres, for example. Some people might want to have a collection of "Anime" on their main menu, so they have quicker access. Or, even a "Horror" group. I could see it might be possible, if we could 'massage' the library settings somewhat, to be a bit more flexible in creating a tiered library... ...or something of the sort. Something that allowed us to select where library entries go, so that even if you had five subdirectories dedicated to movies, they wouldn't all be accessible from the same 'Movies' tab.

Might this be a possibility? Is this something outside of the realm of the skin, itself?
http://tinyurl.com/36rgnnt

Sorry, couldn't resist. Wink
oo_void Wrote:http://tinyurl.com/36rgnnt

Sorry, couldn't resist. Wink

An interesting read, for certain. Now, if you have a LMGTFY link that shows how to apply what I've learned, THEN I'd be really impressed!

Rofl
Alaska Revisited allows you to add custom sub menus to each panel from entries listed in your favourites both Genre and playlist can be added to favourites
>>X<<' Wrote:Alaska Revisited allows you to add custom sub menus to each panel from entries listed in your favourites both Genre and playlist can be added to favourites

I just read that - unfortunately, I chose 'icon view', so I don't have the benefit of multiple menus. Hmm... (Just thinking out loud - if I can figure out how the submenus work in the other views, maybe I can incorporate them into a separate main menu icon... Hmm.)
The other views make it easier if you want to add your own home entry with a little skinning knowledge.
Hitcher Wrote:The other views make it easier if you want to add your own home entry with a little skinning knowledge.

That's good! (Because I seem to only have a little skinning knowledge.) I did add my 'Movie Trailers' to the main menu, so I'm hoping I can figure this one out, too.

Nerd Laugh
There's something called Movie Sets in XBMC. It works fine and groups the movies you want together. Try it, I think it's what you're looking for.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Movie_Sets
George Wrote:There's something called Movie Sets in XBMC. It works fine and groups the movies you want together. Try it, I think it's what you're looking for.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Movie_Sets

Thanks! I'll try it!
AFAIK there's still no good way to keep them from showing up under the main Movies location. Once you add content of type "Movies" it's going to show up under Movies. Sure you can create playlists, favorites, smart playlists etc... and then launch directly to them from custom menu or sub-menu items. But they still show up in the main library. So there's really no way (other than profile switching?) to segregate content that way. At least that I know of....I would LOVE to be wrong.

The closest I've come is to add a source under videos but not set any content or scan it into the library. Then add that source as a favorite launched from custom menu item etc... etc... This allows you to access it outside the library, but it functions as file view not a true library view. So to play the content you have to drill down through the folder structure and launch the actual file.
james971 Wrote:AFAIK there's still no good way to keep them from showing up under the main Movies location.

The way I've done it is to change the "Movies" on the Homescreen to link to a Movies smart playlist rather than the main Movies library. This playlist contains only the directories in which my movie collection is stored.

This method requires that you have any additional movies types (e.g. Standup in my case) in separate directories.

Hope this helps.
80sretroparty Wrote:The way I've done it is to change the "Movies" on the Homescreen to link to a Movies smart playlist rather than the main Movies library. This playlist contains only the directories in which my movie collection is stored.

This method requires that you have any additional movies types (e.g. Standup in my case) in separate directories.

Hope this helps.

Hmmmm.....thanks for the tip. I'll definitely have to try it out.
80sretroparty Wrote:The way I've done it is to change the "Movies" on the Homescreen to link to a Movies smart playlist rather than the main Movies library. This playlist contains only the directories in which my movie collection is stored.

Hope this helps.

Question: Can you change the view type on the smart playlist? I'd love to have it all as Poster View, if at all possible. (If you can't, I think I might know a way to do it through some sneaky XML coding, possibly.) If it all doesn't work as intended, I may just setup a separate profile - I hardly ever get the opportunity to watch my scary movies anyway.

Wink
DurhamDev Wrote:Can you change the view type on the smart playlist?

You can change the viewtype, however the only drawback is that you can't have different viewtypes for different playlists - change the viewtype in one playlist and it affects all other playlists. I haven't been able to find a way around this yet.
80sretroparty Wrote:You can change the viewtype, however the only drawback is that you can't have different viewtypes for different playlists - change the viewtype in one playlist and it affects all other playlists. I haven't been able to find a way around this yet.

That's not a show stopper for me, personally. I have everything setup as large posters, and think it looks best that way... Thanks for the info on it! (Now, if only I could figure out how to make these playlists... A bit confusing.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Splitting up Movie Types0