Server vs Desktop PC
I am currently using XBMC for windows on an acer revo 3700(Win 7). I am pulling m2ts files from my Home PC which has an I5 750 processor and 4gb ram (Win 7). Not wanting to backup my video files. What advantage would I have with a nas build other than power consumption. Also if I build a NAS, would a atom suffice or should I consider an AM3 x2 or I3 540. I would like to back up pictures.
Hardware requirements for a NAS/File server are very low. Basically anything will manage it. But if you want to set up a fully fledged server (your own website, couchpotato, media ripping/renaming/management, automated back ups etc) then you might need a low end desktop cpu rather than atom.
wvmci Wrote:Not wanting to backup my video files. What advantage would I have with a nas build other than power consumption.

If you are the occasional download - watch - delete kind of user, there isn't much sense to get a server as you current desktop can do a lot more for you than any media server.

If however, your library is growing and you like to keep files organised and available at all times to multiple device, a server might start to make sense as new issues arise from such a setup like expandability, backup, library and download management etc.
Thanks for the info.
I currently play my rips on my revo.
Rips are stored on my desktop.
Just bought a netgears gs108 to hardwire network my home.
I am planning expanding my xmbc to a couple more areas of my home with laptops if possible.
After reading about NAS/Servers it sparked my interest.
However I'm not worried about losing data so Raid setups do not interest me.
It seems like when I'm ripping a Blue Rayon desktop. It causes stuttering with my XMBC on Revo.
If you happen to often rip Blu Rays while watching media, having a separate storage device would definitely help.

Before considering getting a server (which I would always recommend) you can try having a dedicated internal hard drive for ripping to avoid simultaneous read and write operations on the same physical disk.
Thanks again for the info. I'm going to try to use an old pc for a nas. If it works out I will Consider a case with icydock 3 in 2 trays or a norco case. I just need to work out whether I will use ubuntu or unraid.
I prefer Ubuntu just because its been around a lot longer and I have more experience with it. You can build a server that runs Ubuntu Server for very little money. Mine is running on an old Lenovo desktop that has a 1.8GHz dual core AMD, with 2GB of RAM. It also hosts my webserver and some other stuff. The CPU usage barely goes over 1% and its setup with a RAID 5, and streams 1080P MKV's to multiple PCs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server vs Desktop PC0