Sigma Designs next-generation media processor SoC will be able to run XBMC
Thumbs Up 
Imagine something like the WDTV Hub running XBMC. Talk about high WF acceptance.

Oops forgot the link

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/sigma...xt-gen-st/

Linking not working w ww.engadget.com/2011/01/05/sigma-designs-announces-direct-XBMC-support-for-wild-next-gen-st/
Still not working. And I do not think that there were any guarantees that current Sigma chips would receive a working XBMC port.

I think it refers to future Sigma SoCs... but I am also hoping that the ports will work with older Sigmas. This will bring a lot of users to XBMC.

For me, I think I will still stick with a custom box. I am interested to hear how the IR receivers on these Sigma set-top boxes will work with the XBMC port. Also curious if the XBMC port is like XBMC Live...
Love the song from Steve Vai but I will quote myself

topfs2 Wrote:I think I need to clarify again, any over the counter sigma SoC based device wont run xbmc. Most of the time these devices are locked quite hard so you need to choose devices that actually run XBMC, so you customers have the possibility to make this possible by choosing devices running XBMC and not some random device expecting XBMC to get ported to it (which is unlikely to happen).

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Older SoC's like 863X series are not supported anymore (not for new development anyway), so no XBMC for that.
thanks for the clarification topfs2.

Now given that Syabas (popcorn hour) has chosen the Intel Ce4100 for their next device, we can forget about them...
Dvico has made the move from sigma to realtek...

I guess HDi with their Dune player will get a lot of demands to propose XBMC. Smile

But i hope other companies will race to propose players with XBMC ! Big Grin

So for companies, how easy will it be to include xbmc? Is it an extra to pay on top of the development tools (SDK) or something like that?

And btw, no one is wondering where EJP fits in the situation!? Rolleyes
http://networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=40300
Dual screen setup - HDMI/TV (sound on Digital Audio toslink) - DVI/PC Monitor
AMD PII 955 (3.2GHz) - 4GB DDR3 - Geforce GT 240 - Win7 x64
Carlos ze Dwarf Wrote:So for companies, how easy will it be to include xbmc? Is it an extra to pay on top of the development tools (SDK) or something like that?

XBMC Code is free, when the patches are submitted to us or made available any company could use the code (given they adhere to the licenses). If their patches depends on a more expensive SDK we do not know yet, I would guess its same SDK as anything else though.

If the companies will charge premium for an XBMC box, who knows, its up to them and not us to decide what they want to charge for it.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Carlos ze Dwarf Wrote:Now given that Syabas (popcorn hour) has chosen the Intel Ce4100 for their next device, we can forget about them...
Why? Boxee have CE4100 support already.
Carlos ze Dwarf Wrote:thanks for the clarification topfs2.

Now given that Syabas (popcorn hour) has chosen the Intel Ce4100 for their next device, we can forget about them...
Dvico has made the move from sigma to realtek...

I guess HDi with their Dune player will get a lot of demands to propose XBMC. Smile

But i hope other companies will race to propose players with XBMC ! Big Grin

So for companies, how easy will it be to include xbmc? Is it an extra to pay on top of the development tools (SDK) or something like that?

And btw, no one is wondering where EJP fits in the situation!? Rolleyes
http://networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=40300

I'm a member on there and was following that thread. It got pretty nasty!

BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I'm a member on there and was following that thread. It got pretty nasty!

That's because no one would give any information out about how the port was being accomplished.

Was it using DirectFB? How was the GUI accelerated? How did he have access to Sigma's toolchain to make use of their proprietary hardware acceleration?

It started to smell of a hoax...
waldo22 Wrote:That's because no one would give any information out about how the port was being accomplished.

Was it using DirectFB? How was the GUI accelerated? How did he have access to Sigma's toolchain to make use of their proprietary hardware acceleration?

It started to smell of a hoax...

I agree! I didn't know whos side to take.

Syabas haven't completely abandoned Sigma Designs they said on their forums they will continue to use them in the C series.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sigma Designs next-generation media processor SoC will be able to run XBMC0