Recommend small form factor hardware for XBMC "Streaming" Client?
Hello to everyone reading this thread.

(sorry for my bad english, i am not american)

I was using XBMC with my XBOX1 for quiet a long time and was very satisfied with my old CRT TV. But one day my XBOX died. Sad

So i thought it was the right time to upgrade my hardware. I bought me a new 50´´ Samsung Plasma TV and a xbox360, hoping xbmc would be released someday for the 360. AFAIK up untill today that is just a fading dream ^^

in the meantime i bought me another used xbox1 form a well known bidding platform an got my xbmc running up again. but short after that i realised that the hardware is to slow for all the new hd content out there, and on top of that i am to lasy to convert all videos to a fitting format.
i used tversity to transcode different typs of codecs and stream it to the 360 but that is sometimes very frustrating. some codecs are not supported. mkv containers are laggy to encode or subtitles are missing....

so here is my question:
I want to build/buy a fitting pc hardware platform which can handle hd content (meaning 1080p format) without beeing "laggy" and comes in small form factor (like asus eeepc´s or other nano/micro atx).
Have anyone tips for me or can tell me what best hardware is used for XBMC?

It should have at least a HDMI output. Dolby sound would not be nessisary.

Thank you for your help Smile
Hi and welcome!

A visit on the XBMC website would have saved you the trouble and some cash but on the other hand, I love the games on the new 360 while the original Xbox 1 remains a classic.

I think most people will agree that small nettops powered by Atom CPUs and ION chipsets with an optional SSD are the best choice for XBMC front-ends. Have a look on the forums for Acer Revo, Zotac or Foxconn to name but a few. The choice I think will come down to aesthetics, price and availability in your area.
In my opinion, the Shuttle XS35GT plus a SSD is the very best solution right now. It will play anything you throw at it, and is completely silent.
thank you for your fast replys. i will look up your suggested hardware Smile
teaguecl Wrote:In my opinion, the Shuttle XS35GT plus a SSD is the very best solution right now. It will play anything you throw at it, and is completely silent.

i have looked up the XS35GT and found two versions.
One with a intel NM10 Chipset and one with the ION Chipset. I thought about using the XBMC Live version and install it to a SD Card. (if possible). is the ION Chipset supported by XBMC live? or do you recommend the Intel Chipset (if enough for 1080p)

thanks Smile
Stay away from intel chipsets. nVidia ION is the way to go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend small form factor hardware for XBMC "Streaming" Client?0