How loud are these ION nettops?
I'm looking to put together my first HTPC (have used XBMC on an Xbox for many years). Certainly the easiest (and also cheapest) route to a 1080p capable front end is one of the various ION based nettops. However, I am worried little boxes mean small, high-speed fans that will make some noise. The Shuttle is fanless, so it's obviously not a problem, but what about some of the others?

Can people who have these boxes comment on their noise level? Perhaps compare them to other components or household items. For example, my PS3 slim is audible but it doesn't bother me at all. My 360, on the other hand, sounds like a jet engine and I would never want to watch a movie that way.
My Zotac Mag (ion based) is what I would consider "very" quiet. If I don't have any audio on I can barely hear it from about 5 foot away. I don't have a ps3 slim so I can't compare it to that, but my buddy has the older black xbox 360, and the 360 is MUCH louder.
nettops are practically silent.
Mine is VERY quiet. I heard all these bad rumors about them being obnoxiously loud but I have not found that to be the case at all.

I just bought a new Zotac HD-ID11 and put an OCZ SSD in it. Running Windows 7. My TV is a Panasonic Viera 42" plasma and the cooling fans in it are louder then my Zotac.
ert01 Wrote:Mine is VERY quiet. I heard all these bad rumors about them being obnoxiously loud but I have not found that to be the case at all.

I just bought a new Zotac HD-ID11 and put an OCZ SSD in it. Running Windows 7. My TV is a Panasonic Viera 42" plasma and the cooling fans in it are louder then my Zotac.

Same here, my plasma's fans are louder than my nettop
Well this sounds pretty comforting. I was really considering getting the Foxconn NT-330I since Newegg has the combo deal where you can get 4GB of memory for free, but some of the feedback mentioned loud fans. Some of them said that once you upgrade the BIOS it's better, but I was just curious how loud "loud" is when talking about these guys.
clockbox Wrote:Well this sounds pretty comforting. I was really considering getting the Foxconn NT-330I since Newegg has the combo deal where you can get 4GB of memory for free, but some of the feedback mentioned loud fans. Some of them said that once you upgrade the BIOS it's better, but I was just curious how loud "loud" is when talking about these guys.

I'd suggest it's quieter than the old XBox, even with the fan throttling enabled in XBMC. I've yet to see an Atom box that's loud.

My AppleTV gets hot running XBMC, and you can hear the fan as a whisper during quiet (silent) parts (no fans in my old Panny plasma!). I had some trouble with it a couple of months ago and fired up the old XBox to watch a movie instead, and it was a racket by comparison. I think if you're used to that, you'll be delighted with the outcome.
I have a Zotac MAG. It's quite, but not silent.

I can't hear it at all when I'm watching something or having a conversation, but I can hear it when the room is quiet.

For reference, I have the computer behind my TV in a small apartment living room.
Just to chime in, I'm using the Jetway Mini-top (Ion 2) and a SSD and other than the first 5 seconds of the post, it's almost in-audible. I was previously watching movies on a Xbox 360 which absolutely screamed in comparison. I highly recommend the nettop route!
Check out my new NAS/media server build here, my old media server here or my Atom/Ion 2 based XBMC HTPC here

http://www.somethingtangential.com
I have a MAG as well (nd02) and I can barely hear it from a foot or two away and not at all otherwise. And if I close the door to my av cabinet there is no way you could ever hear it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How loud are these ION nettops?0