• 2(current)
Linux HOW-TO compile XBMC from a GIT source
yes ... confirm that deppan's solution worked for me ...
Aye, seems to work here too. Now I just have to figure out why RTMP is giving me compiling errors ..
Thumbs Up 
Big thinks.. lol.. don't blame you about the sudo.. =)
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

Thanks for the tip deppan! Compiling now Smile

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
SchwarzesS Wrote:hey, thanks for the guide!

i tried both ways on my ubuntu 10.10 machine. sudo and permanent su.

But i got the same message on step ... ./configure ... :

I dont find a solution by google for this "/home/xbmc/setup/xbmc/lib/libdvd/libdvdnav/../libdvdread/obj/dvdread-config returned an error . Can't proceed" or "configure: error: Submodule lib/libdvd/libdvdnav failed to configure".

Only found how to install this lib, but dont work too.

cheer
SchwarzesS

this is not 10.10 ready please read ubuntu readme or linux readme for what you have to add to dependencies.

basically this is missing a dependency for 10.10 which I dint add cause I don't use cutting edge just cause its cool.
toddwv Wrote:Thanks. Worked for me. Now the question is why? Wink

because someone perhaps didn't follow the how to properly all this is redundant, how to works if you follow the how to properly.
X3lectric Wrote:this is not 10.10 ready please read ubuntu readme or linux readme for what you have to add to dependencies.

basically this is missing a dependency for 10.10 which I dint add cause I don't use cutting edge just cause its cool.

It compiled fine on my machine with XBMCFreak Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD installed.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
good for you.

But I don't support non official releases.
X3lectric Wrote:good for you.

But I don't support non official releases.

Maybe you don't. But for people with custom builds it's nice to know someone else with a similar setup has had success.

Thanks for the guide, I'm going to try this out tomorrow.
I needed the extra dependency as well. I think it depends what version you are running.
IAmNotAUser Wrote:Maybe you don't. But for people with custom builds it's nice to know someone else with a similar setup has had success.

Thanks for the guide, I'm going to try this out tomorrow.

Na bud you got it backwards I meant non official not non custom.

My xbmc is built upon XCI which I use to co develop and then in the end was just me, short story shorter, Custom != non official, I give you an example, "My" script allows sabnzbd+ to be installed if a user so wishes, that makes it a custom build while the whole install and needs are met to XBMC team exact needs suited to the boxes the script supports.

Non official builds don't give users the choice/control of anything they have everything and the kitchen sink built in. Like it or not. (I like to have control and choice something about freedom)
They don't account for specific boxes needs nor care about users.
XBMC for e.g would you know the inner working of it, and Ubuntu handle alsa differently past 10.04 especially not to mention massive other changes at distro level that xbmc has quite a lot to catch up to since XBMC is not quite 100% Linux distro agnostic.

They popularity is only because n00b factor nothing else.

JackieBrown Wrote:I needed the extra dependency as well. I think it depends what version you are running.

Nice guide, btw.

thx if you like it rep post up. the

XBMC Readme.ubuntu Wrote:For Ubuntu Maverick (10.10):
# sudo apt-get install autopoint
But I wouldn't go there unless you need trim (SSD thing) support which easier and less complicated wasy to add trim support to XBMC 10.0 live for which this how-to is made though it will work on full desktop installs as well.
I'm using pin87a's image for apple tv. when i try

apt-get build-dep xbmc -y

I get this error.

E: Build-Depends dependency for xbmc cannot be satisfied because no available versions of package debhelper can satisfy version requirements

Where do I go from here. Can I even do this running Hardy?
X3lectric Wrote:Na bud you got it backwards I meant non official not non custom.

Now I understand your difference I'll concede your point. It's not often to come across someone who sees the two as separate entities and that something can still be official whilst also being custom. I hope you accept my apology for the confusion.

I completely agree that most non-official builds don't provide choice, and that is something I prefer too, including the freedom to run using a personally-compiled up-to-date version of the code which is why I am grateful for you sharing your code. But on the whole, a custom build is designed for a particular purpose, or small subset of purposes, one of which may be to make it easier for non-linux users to use, or add an increased appliance feel by reducing bootup packages to speed booting, and those choices involve tradeoffs with other criteria that will no longer be to a minimum standard to a different subset of users; it's impossible to please everyone.

On a more on-topic side note, worked great on my XBMCLive build, thanks Smile
Grenti Wrote:I'm using pin87a's image for apple tv. when i try

apt-get build-dep xbmc -y

I get this error.

E: Build-Depends dependency for xbmc cannot be satisfied because no available versions of package debhelper can satisfy version requirements

Where do I go from here. Can I even do this running Hardy?

This is because your version of debhelper is lesser than required, install greater than 7.0.5.0 see Linux readmes for hardy Ubuntu readmes do some reading down the bottom your using old stuff you need to satisfy dependencies. The error is obvious, solution simple and its found on readmes, When I started Linux tinkering I read solid for days on various forums, IRC, wikis, readmes, man pages etc. (still do)

IAmNotAUser Wrote:Now I understand your difference I'll concede your point. It's not often to come across someone who sees the two as separate entities and that something can still be official whilst also being custom. I hope you accept my apology for the confusion.

I completely agree that most non-official builds don't provide choice, and that is something I prefer too, including the freedom to run using a personally-compiled up-to-date version of the code which is why I am grateful for you sharing your code. But on the whole, a custom build is designed for a particular purpose, or small subset of purposes, one of which may be to make it easier for non-linux users to use, or add an increased appliance feel by reducing bootup packages to speed booting, and those choices involve tradeoffs with other criteria that will no longer be to a minimum standard to a different subset of users; it's impossible to please everyone.

On a more on-topic side note, worked great on my XBMCLive build, thanks Smile

Lets disagree to agree Wink
<offtopic>
X3lectric Wrote:Lets disagree to agree Wink

I was actually agreeing with you mate Wink but also saying that all non-official builds, as you call them, must have come originally from someone's custom build; based on what they consider the most important criteria for their machine and set up but it's grown more than most user's custom builds ever do.
</offtopic>
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO compile XBMC from a GIT source12