[Windows] New HTPC, Move Old Installation
Guys,

I've been scouring the forums to try and find how to do it and haven't been able to find anything.

I just built a new HTPC and need to move the installation to the new computer.

Is there a guide somewhere? Or can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Alan
I recently did something similar, with varied results. I found that reinstalling the core software - XBMC and any theme you're using - is the smartest method. Then, go to your specific subdirectory (XP: C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\[USERNAME]\APPLICATION DATA\XBMC - WIN7: C:\USERS\[USERNAME]\APPDATA\ROAMING\XBMC) and pasting your backup into it *should* do it for you.

Now, something to be aware of... If your hardware has changed, the backup may still show you some of your original settings. For example, my old system had a different network share configuration for my libraries, and a different sound card. Both were reflected when I started XBMC up on the new system. You may need to tweak them a bit.

Overall, I would probably recommend reconfiguring it from scratch, if you can. You will get the best results this way.
DurhamDev,

Thanks for the advice, makes sense, I'll go that route.

Much Appreciated,
Alan
Sugarman19 Wrote:DurhamDev,

Thanks for the advice, makes sense, I'll go that route.

Much Appreciated,
Alan

Unless you're using portable mode (on Windows) all your settings are in your profile. This is %APPDATA%\XBMC on Windows or $home/.XBMC on Linux/OSX. If you do a new install of XBMC on the new PC then as long as you copy your settings over from your old profile XBMC should work just as it did before.

Note that if your media files have moved to a different directory or drive letter you'll need to rebuild the library.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] New HTPC, Move Old Installation0