[LINUX] HOW-TO use a third-party PS3 (PlayStation3) controllers with XBMC for Linux?
Thumbs Up 
Hi,

i'm using a snakebyte wireless ps3 controller, which uses an USB dongle to connect to the computer/ps3.

The problem is, that this controller is neither a bluetooth wireless controller, nor a wired controller.
  • Wired controllers work by hid-sony kernel module
  • Wireless controllers can be made working with sixad

This controller however, is mixed. When you put the USB dongle in the computer it is detected as a wired controller and based on it's vendor and product id, hid-sony is loaded.

Yet it still has no connection to it's handset, which makes hid-sony fail to set the handset in operational mode.

Here you'll find a program and source, which puts the controller in operational mode after the handset has bound to the dongle.

http://rapidshare.com/files/441448175/ac...usb.tar.gz

@Note: Somehow this just works, when taking care the hid drivers do not load before the operational mode has been set. Therefore i have a script which i execute form /etc/rc.local (someone has a more elegant solution to this, shout):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

rmmod hid_sony
rmmod usbhid
rmmod hid
rmmod joydev

/usr/sbin/activate_ps3_usb_amd64.bin

modprobe usbhid
modprobe hid_sony
modprobe joydev

Use the regular ps3 keymap available from the forums fir best user experience.

best regards

update4: removed faulty keymap and referenced the better ps3 keymap
update3: removed the logitech_hid stuff from the HID reload script, as they were for my wireless keyboard and mouse
update2: included the script to reload the hid stuff
update1: updated the source to send a valid 64 byte package to the device
howdy, sorry for dredging up an old post, but do you still have access to the activate_ps3_usb.tar.gz file? seems like its been removed from rapidshare and cant find a valid link for it anywhere.

Thanks!
(2013-01-08, 13:24)shihan Wrote: howdy, sorry for dredging up an old post, but do you still have access to the activate_ps3_usb.tar.gz file? seems like its been removed from rapidshare and cant find a valid link for it anywhere.

Thanks!

Did you find the file anywhere?

I came from this thread here:
http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/snakeb...ontroller/

I just need to run this gamepad under a Rooted Amazon-Fire TV.

Greetings by HushPeter
Rainbow 
Hi all,
sorry for this necropost but i think i have some relevant information to add:

The C++ source code from checkups tool is on SourceForge.net (uploaded by himself i think).
Unfortunately i doesn't work for me. At least not on Kubuntu 16.04 LTS and Fedora 23 Workstation (both were running in VirtualBox on a Windows Host).

No matter how many hid/usb/joystick modules are unloaded it always fails at "libusb_set_configuration(devh, 1);" (line 47).
"sudo strace ./activate_ps3_usb" wasn't much help either.

Anyway - I connected the reciver to a Linux machine at my workplace and after pressing the Home/PS button once or twice it worked out of the box!
I'm still not sure why exactly but so far my research leads me to believe that in January 2016 a small modification to hid_sony (line 1435) unintentionally unborked the support for our Snakebyte Wireless Controller.
I just tested it with a Xubuntu 16.04 live system and it worked there too.

Something odd:
"jstest --event /dev/input/js?" works and all buttons etc. are recognized but the left d-pad button has no analog values - just on and off.
All the other buttons (except select, start and home/PS) have analog values and on/off... :o

Limer

Missing Tags:
SB904721 (<- Serial# of Snakebyte Controller)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO use a third-party PS3 (PlayStation3) controllers with XBMC for Linux?0