[PRE 11.0 Git/SVN] Not starting music playback
Hi all,

I first notice this problem with the last SVN (r35744), a few days ago. Today I compile a new version through Git (Git:263c342) and the same problem happens.
Problem description: when I select any music, no matter if through collection, through playlist, or through archives browse, it will not start to play. The only workaround to make XBMC play the music is switch to music visualization (<tab> in keyboard or <enter> in remote), than press pause and play again.
If I switch back to Dharma 10.0 final, it will play without any problem.

Reported as Linux platform, because I didn't test it @ Windows, but Windows version probably is affected too.

Didn't found a similar bug report, so, I've started a new ticket, with debug log trying to play music:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11043

Anyone can confirm this?

Cheers.

EDIT: just notice that isn't possible fast-forward or fast-rewind while playing music. It gets stuck until you do the play/pause thing. Also, isn't possible to manual skip to the next track (get stuck too).
I have the same problem on several machines. All of them have a combined NVidia sound chip, which has analog + HDMI cards. The bug seem to happen when audio device is set to "default", and is triggered when XBMC autodetection code chooses the HDMI output instead of analog.

Until the autodetection code is fixed, the easy way to fix this issue is to specify the audio output device manually in Settings - System - Audio. On Linux change the "Audio Output" to "Custom", and type the audio device; in my case it is "hw:0,0"

If you don't know your audio device, use aplay with a test WAV file:

nemesis:~ # aplay -D hw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
<played fine>

nemesis:~ # aplay -D hw:0,1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
<hang, no sound - wrong device>

nemesis:~ # aplay -D hw:0,2 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
aplay: main:654: audio open error: No such file or directory

<no device>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PRE 11.0 Git/SVN] Not starting music playback0